USC 2023 Spring MFA Film and TV Production

Hey, anyone know when interview requests get sent out for spring applications?
I don't remember as our database dates are calibrated to fall admission. Check out the past USC spring threads though:

Also, our acceptance stats link below has all the acceptance info for the program as well as a link to all the USC MFA applications in our system.

Hey, anyone know when interview requests get sent out for spring applications?
Hi, did you apply for spring 2023?

I just received an email from a professor asking about my time availability for an interview. Maybe because I'm international that's why he needs to match my preferred available time

Hi, did you apply for spring 2023?

I just received an email from a professor asking about my time availability for an interview. Maybe because I'm international that's why he needs to match my preferred available time
Hey, yes I did! Oh, that's amazing, good luck! I'm international too so hoping to hear something soon🤞

Hey, yes I did! Oh, that's amazing, good luck! I'm international too so hoping to hear something soon🤞
At first I was quite skeptical seeing the email as it was sent by the prof himself, from his personal email address, and he asked for Sunday. I thought this kind of information would be notified formally. I also wonder if the interviewer would be this one prof only since it'd be next Sunday. I thought there would be 2-3 professors/faculty members.

I hope there will be another faculty member contacting you soon. Let me know if you get the news! ☺️

At first I was quite skeptical seeing the email as it was sent by the prof himself, from his personal email address, and he asked for Sunday. I thought this kind of information would be notified formally. I also wonder if the interviewer would be this one prof only since it'd be next Sunday. I thought there would be 2-3 professors/faculty members.

I hope there will be another faculty member contacting you soon. Let me know if you get the news! ☺️
Oh that's interesting! Let me know how it goes and how many professors there are in the interview:)

I got an interview for this Sunday too! I'm international as well. Yes, I definitely agree that even I thought this would be notified formally, I almost scrolled past the email because I didn't recognize the name!
Which professors are interviewing you folks, and how are y'all preparing? Good luck!

I was also curious if USC interviews all its applicants, or shortlisted ones?
Our acceptance stats for USC has that info. :)

Also so does our article on USC:

How to get Into USC SCA: Advice from an Admissions Committee Member

How to get Into USC SCA: Advice from an Admissions Committee Member

Considered by many to be the best film school in the world, it’s no wonder why the USC School of Cinematic Arts (SCA) is so sought after by prospective undergraduate and graduate students alike. However, the film school’s prestige can often make the application process particularly stressful and...

Short answer is no they don't interview everyone. :)

Last edited:
I got an interview for this Sunday too! I'm international as well. Yes, I definitely agree that even I thought this would be notified formally, I almost scrolled past the email because I didn't recognize the name!
Which professors are interviewing you folks, and how are y'all preparing? Good luck!
Idk if mentioning the name would be appropriate. In my personal statement, I mention my ultimate career goal is to create a filmmaking educative platform similar to Sundance Collab for preparing the regeneration of filmmakers in my country. I did some research about the prof and turns out he's one of, if not the only, artistic director of Sundance Institute 🥲🥲 I guess that's the reason the admission team plotted my application to be reviewed by him hahaha

In his email, he mentioned 2 topics that he would like to discuss, my favorite filmmaker + the reason and how I handle stress. Tbh idk what to prepare other than trying to not be nervous (and sleepy, it'd be late Sunday night here). Good luck to you too!

Just got done with my interview! It went well, I think..
How was yours? Also, approximately how long was it? Mine was 40 mins. Only hitch was that the lights went out in between, because I hadn't realized that the room I was sitting in had motion sensitive lights. I feel so stupid about that now, but the interviewer was really sweet about it, I just hope that that it didn't cut our time short. Trying not to dwell :(

Just got done with my interview! It went well, I think..
How was yours? Also, approximately how long was it? Mine was 40 mins. Only hitch was that the lights went out in between, because I hadn't realized that the room I was sitting in had motion sensitive lights. I feel so stupid about that now, but the interviewer was really sweet about it, I just hope that that it didn't cut our time short. Trying not to dwell :(
Mine was a bit less than 40 mins. I think we interviewed with the same prof. What questions did he ask? The questions that were asked were mostly not related to filmmaking and were super random, so I couldn't guess if he was satisfied with my answers. I saw him talking to someone several times so I wasn't comfortable giving long answers as I didn't want to interrupt them and have my answers missed.

I also had a hitch, when he asked about my favorite filmmakers. My internet connection was suddenly lagged (ugh) so he had to skip to the next question when I came back online but I managed to answer a bit. I mentioned that my fav director was Damien Chazelle but the filmmaker that inspired me to shift my career to filmmaking is Cary Fukunaga. I joked a bit that I wasn't comfortable mentioning his name, especially after the recent allegation, and surprisingly he didn't know who CF was. I told him that he was the director of the latest James Bond movie and he was famous for his work in True Detective season 1, and he didn't know about any of them either. He asked me the last movie I watched that left an impression on me, I answered with Decision to Leave. I talked a bit that the rave about the film at Cannes and the director winning best directing made me watch the film and he said he didn't follow news about Cannes either, which felt... weeeeeird because those were the only thing we discussed that were film-related. I hope I didn't sound like an alien when talking about them because that makes me feel bad, you know, not being able to connect with him :confused:

The questions that were asked to me, in case people need this:
- Talk about your current job. What are the best and worst parts of your job?
- What are your parents' jobs? How is the dynamic in your family? Who has the most power in your family: your dad or your mom?
- What advice your parents gave to you that is memorable to this day?
- What is your favorite food? Do you cook?
- If you can swap lives with someone else, who and why?
- How do you handle stress?
- Who are your favorite filmmakers and why?
- What music are you listening to? What books are you reading? What movie/tv show are you currently watching?
- What is the last movie you watched that leave an impression on you?
I asked him about the things I did good in my application and he delightfully explained. I prepared a pitch and he didn't ask about it hehe. He said normally the notification would be sent out 4-6 weeks after the interview.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the acceptance letters have been sent already? It seems that this is a possible time period for us to get some admission messages. But I logged into my yousc account and there's nothing in the "Decision Status". 😭

Does anyone know if the acceptance letters have been sent already? It seems that this is a possible time period for us to get some admission messages. But I logged into my yousc account and there's nothing in the "Decision Status". 😭
The professor who interviewed me said that we would hear in 4-6 weeks,. I interviewed on September 25, so the earliest possibility will be at the end of the month

The professor who interviewed me said that we would hear in 4-6 weeks,. I interviewed on September 25, so the earliest possibility will be at the end of the month
Thank u for this information!! Cuz I checked the previous application details on this site and found that most of the acceptance letters came around October 14th to 18th so I'm a little bit nervous now😂

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back