USC Cinematic Arts - Peter Stark Producing Program (MFA) (1 Viewer)

The Peter Stark Producing Program will expose an aspiring producer to the full spectrum of the entertainment business.
Degrees Offered
  1. 2 Year M.F.A.
Concentrations
  1. Producing
Yearly Tuition
$50k to $60k
Tuition Detail
$51,622
Application Deadline Types
  1. Regular Decision
Regular Decision Application Deadline: Nov 15, 2021

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
Application deadline: November 1st

Acceptance Rate:

According to this FilmSchool.org Google doc, 1 out of 6 FilmSchool.org members were admitted in 2015 to USC's USC's Peter Stark Producing MFA for a 16% acceptance rate. For 2016, 4 out of 16 FilmSchool.org members were admitted to USC's Peter Stark Producing MFA for an 25% acceptance rate.

Application info:

Approximately 24 Peter Stark Program students are enrolled each fall (there are no spring admissions).

They do not accept late submissions:

from what I gathered at the two information sessions i attended they don't accept late applications. not even for those whose test scores come in late after they've submitted their application on time.

300+ people apply and 25 are admitted. 8% acceptance rate.

I know in one of the interviews they said that 300+ apply, about 90 of whom are pretty competitive, and about 25 are admitted. I was somewhat confident that I was in that 90, but I couldn't tell you what put me into the group of 30 (idk how many are on the waitlist, but I'm guessing it's not a long list) that are offered or almost-offered admission.

Interview Questions:

From this post:

Peter Stark Producing Program 2014/2015

my interview was in person at USC (I live in LA) and it was more like a conversation that an interview. Honestly it sounded my more like Richard trying to sell me the program than asking me why I wanted to apply, so I made sure I added nuggets of info about myself and why stark is the perfect fit for me in there. He did ask me what types of projects I'd like to produce and when I told him he asked what recent similar film I had seen which kind of took me by surprise a little. He asked about my job at Disney and why I wanted to go to stark since Im already in the industry.. Those are all the questions I really remember. Just be prepared to talk about yoursel and your background a lot!

jenovard

Supporter
I was contacted on Twitter by someone claiming to be a current second year student at Stark and they had an extremely negative review of the program and recommended not going. They said they had given a similar warning to another prospective student last year and when they joined the problem they agreed that the program was a mistake. I don't think I could make a big decision based on one person's bad review but I'd love to hear if any current or former students, or other people have any insights.

jenovard

Supporter
@Julie Lew is/was attending.

You should invite whomever contacted you on Twitter to tell their story here too. Might clear some things up.
That's a good idea, if my conversation with them progresses I'll see if they want to comment. I'm trying to schedule a video chat with them now. I'd love to hear what Julie Lew has to say too.

I remember people in my undergrad program at Purdue complaining about and hating that program too. So that's not entirely surprising to hear from a student that doesn't like the program they chose. I saw my undergrad's deficiencies but I also thought it was a matter of who could and couldn't/wouldn't make use of what it offered. I never saw education as a thing you wait for and receive, but an opportunity that you take advantage of or not. But it's also entirely possible for some things to be objectively bad, so I don't want to be overly optimistic. I applied to the program, so it's in my ego's best interest that the school and program be amazing, but I want to be open to being wrong about that so I/we can make the best decision for our futures.

Last edited:

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
And that being said.... Film School is really (cliche incoming) what you make of it. One person can have a great time but another may not.

People need to remember that going to a film school is not the goal. It's not a magical thing that'll automatically get one a their dream job in film let alone any job in film. One needs to be hard-working and hustle too.

But film school is a lot of money... So one needs to be sure they're getting the education one is paying for.

jenovard

Supporter
Hey Chris,
I reworded my comment to make it more clear. I was referring to the thought that there are likely students in all programs who complain about the quality of their education.
I reached out to another former student I found on Twitter and am in contact with a current first year student so if I get any substantive information I'll be happy to share it with the community.

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
Hey Chris,
I reworded my comment to make it more clear. I was referring to the thought that there are likely students in all programs who complain about the quality of their education.
Ah yes. People like to complain everywhere. It's fun and stress relieving.

As an editor and producer I complain all the time about the footage I get back from the field. 🤣

Part of the creative process. Ha.

Add your film school application to our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Add Application…

Student Films Made at Film Programs

Colella612
Updated
3.00 star(s) 1 ratings
Views
Reaction score
Reviews
Questions
After the light bulb on her film projector burns out, an elderly woman must confront a nightmarish world as well as the trauma of her past as she seeks to find a replacement before her memories are lost forever.
Film Program
Loyola Marymount University
Course
Directing Short Film II: Visual Story
Film Type
Assignment
Genre
Drama
Duration/Running Time
5:58
Film Completion
May 3, 2021
A248
Views
Reaction score
One man's mission to document and preserve the history and pop culture of the San Fernando Valley in Southern California. Tommy Gelinas was born and raised in the San Fernando Valley in Southern California. He grew up visiting restaurants, malls, and many other venues that slowly declined and...
Film Program
Course
PROD 600
Film Type
Assignment
Genre
Documentary
Duration/Running Time
13:52
Film Completion
Dec 1, 2020
A248
Views
Reaction score
In the midst of a global pandemic, a very paranoid vampire orders contactless food delivery.
Film Program
Course
PROD 685
Film Type
Assignment
Genre
Comedy
Duration/Running Time
1:24
Film Completion
Aug 1, 2020

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Add your own Application to our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications