USC Cinematic Arts Program Spring 2017 Admission

Hello, I am currently applying to the USC Cinematic Arts for Film Production and I have a question about the writing sample. I am doing the describe a concept for a feature-length movie, fiction or documentary, which you would like to develop. I would like to find out if you can make yours based on an historical event? I am very interested in history and want to develop something historical.

Thank you for your time!

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
Hello, I am currently applying to the USC Cinematic Arts for Film Production and I have a question about the writing sample. I am doing the describe a concept for a feature-length movie, fiction or documentary, which you would like to develop. I would like to find out if you can make yours based on an historical event? I am very interested in history and want to develop something historical.

Thank you for your time!

I don't see any reason why you couldn't do it on a historical event. Is this for Fall 2017 undergrad or a transfer?

Welcome to the site! :)

I don't see any reason why you couldn't do it on a historical event. Is this for Fall 2017 undergrad or a transfer?

Welcome to the site! :)

Thank you Chris!

I am actually applying for the Spring 2017 Graduate Production program. I also guessing they want film idea in treatment form.

I appreciate your response and welcome to this site.

Matthew Kowalski

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
Thank you Chris!

I am actually applying for the Spring 2017 Graduate Production program. I also guessing they want film idea in treatment form.

I appreciate your response and welcome to this site.

Matthew Kowalski

Cool... Since you posted on an old thread from 2012 I copied your post into a new thread here for the USC Cinematic arts Spring 2017 admission.

According to this doc:

http://cinema.usc.edu/admissions/pr...ductionSupplementalsNewSpring2017Deadline.pdf

It needs to be either:

A. A description of a four-minute film that contains no dialogue. It can be fiction or non-fiction. The story has to be communicated visually. (no more than two pages)
B. A dialogue scene between two people. Provide a one-paragraph introduction describing the two characters in screenplay format. (no more than three pages)
C. Describe a concept for a feature-length movie, fiction or documentary, which you would like to develop. (No more than two pages)

So I guess a concept (for option C) in treatment form would be fine.

LilyMunster

Thank you for your time!

I didnt know they had spring admissions for the grad programs.

Kira

MFA TV Writer @UCLA
Staff member
FilmSchool.org Writer
For many programs that I am looking at (specifically screenwriting), they often want original works and no adaptations. If you need the rights to the book or off a specific person, it's probably not a good idea (for example, The Theory of Everything, The Imitation Game, etc).

Last edited:

Meryam

Has anyone heard anything from USC yet? I applied Film & TV production 2017 MFA Spring. ANXIOUS!
Hi all,

It doesn't look like this thread is very active, but just want to let folks know that I think decision letters have been sent out. Check the portal.

Latest Classifieds

Latest Applications

Latest reviews