USC Cinematic Arts Program Spring 2017 Admission

Hello, I am currently applying to the USC Cinematic Arts for Film Production and I have a question about the writing sample. I am doing the describe a concept for a feature-length movie, fiction or documentary, which you would like to develop. I would like to find out if you can make yours based on an historical event? I am very interested in history and want to develop something historical.

Thank you for your time!

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
BU
Hello, I am currently applying to the USC Cinematic Arts for Film Production and I have a question about the writing sample. I am doing the describe a concept for a feature-length movie, fiction or documentary, which you would like to develop. I would like to find out if you can make yours based on an historical event? I am very interested in history and want to develop something historical.

Thank you for your time!
I don't see any reason why you couldn't do it on a historical event. Is this for Fall 2017 undergrad or a transfer?

Welcome to the site! :)

I don't see any reason why you couldn't do it on a historical event. Is this for Fall 2017 undergrad or a transfer?

Welcome to the site! :)
Thank you Chris!

I am actually applying for the Spring 2017 Graduate Production program. I also guessing they want film idea in treatment form.

I appreciate your response and welcome to this site.

Matthew Kowalski

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
BU
Thank you Chris!

I am actually applying for the Spring 2017 Graduate Production program. I also guessing they want film idea in treatment form.

I appreciate your response and welcome to this site.

Matthew Kowalski
Cool... Since you posted on an old thread from 2012 I copied your post into a new thread here for the USC Cinematic arts Spring 2017 admission.

According to this doc:

http://cinema.usc.edu/admissions/pr...ductionSupplementalsNewSpring2017Deadline.pdf

It needs to be either:

A. A description of a four-minute film that contains no dialogue. It can be fiction or non-fiction. The story has to be communicated visually. (no more than two pages)
B. A dialogue scene between two people. Provide a one-paragraph introduction describing the two characters in screenplay format. (no more than three pages)
C. Describe a concept for a feature-length movie, fiction or documentary, which you would like to develop. (No more than two pages)
So I guess a concept (for option C) in treatment form would be fine.

LilyMunster

Thank you for your time!
I didnt know they had spring admissions for the grad programs.

Kira

MFA TV Writer @UCLA
Staff member
FilmSchool.org Writer
UCLA
For many programs that I am looking at (specifically screenwriting), they often want original works and no adaptations. If you need the rights to the book or off a specific person, it's probably not a good idea (for example, The Theory of Everything, The Imitation Game, etc).

Last edited:

Meryam

Has anyone heard anything from USC yet? I applied Film & TV production 2017 MFA Spring. ANXIOUS!
Hi all,

It doesn't look like this thread is very active, but just want to let folks know that I think decision letters have been sent out. Check the portal.

Latest Classifieds

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

• USC Cinematic Arts - Film and Television Production (MFA)
    1.00 star(s)
    Hollywood Trash
    Overall, this school is what 'quantity over quality' means. The network they brag about is absolutely not as they market. The filmmakers who come...
    • soybean
  • USC Cinematic Arts - Film and Television Production (MFA)
    1.00 star(s)
    Questionable Investment
    If you don’t get a scholarship to attend USC I would advise against going. It’s too much money to throw away for a school with so many problems...
    • Anonymous
  • Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    BEST use of your time!
    Thanks to professor Carl Haber I was able to learn the fundamentals of screenwriting and how to implement them. For the first time in my life, I'm...
    • pcasmur
  • UCLA TFT - Screenwriting (M.F.A.)
    5.00 star(s)
    The Right Move For Me
    I have loved this program so far! For me, it was the right move. Coming from out-of-state, I learned a lot about LA and housing, but it could have...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Chicago - Department of Cinema and Media Studies
    5.00 star(s)
    In my opinion, the University of Chicago's Cinema & Media Studies program is one of the most outstanding and underrated programs out there. I...
    • jn0pe