USC Essay Formatting? (Film & TV Production)

CJR

Does anybody know if for the one-page long collaboration question essays — is there any formatting we need to follow? Basically — I’m wondering if I can do 10 pt font single spaced to keep it to one page or is there a font size/ spacing rule we should follow? Have scoured their info and haven’t found anything. Thank you so much!!!

Solution
I actually did reach out to the admissions department with this exact same question! Here was their response:

Thanks for your interest in SCA. The only formatting required is that which is specified on our website. So single- or double-spacing is fine. 12pt Times New Roman is often standard, too.

Best,
SCA

Tammy

For the 2021 Fall application, USC asks applicants to combine successful and fail experience into one document and no more than 2 pages. USC doesn't specifically stipulate the format like NYU, but I still recommend 12 pt font with times new roman. And if you need more space, you can choose single-spaced or 1.5 spaced.

Attachments

• 截屏2020-11-12 15.42.18.png
    截屏2020-11-12 15.42.18.png
    130.9 KB · Views: 59

CJR

Yeah hahaha as I was writing the post I was like man i need to just edit this down. If anyone else has applied before/ has advice let me know, but thank you so much for the advice, I don’t want to seem like I’m cheating the instructions/ don’t want it to be a pain to read either.

CJR

No I stupidly did not, Have been working with 6 am call times aka waking up at 3:30 am every day, totally meant to, and now feel worried it’ll look bad that I’m asking like 48 hrs before the due date hahaha (due this Sunday) idk is it better to still ask or just be conservative in my formatting?

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
No I stupidly did not, Have been working with 6 am call times aka waking up at 3:30 am every day, totally meant to, and now feel worried it’ll look bad that I’m asking like 48 hrs before the due date hahaha (due this Sunday) idk is it better to still ask or just be conservative in my formatting?
I don't think it can hurt to ask honestly. It'll show you're trying to make sure you're doing it right.

I actually did reach out to the admissions department with this exact same question! Here was their response:

Thanks for your interest in SCA. The only formatting required is that which is specified on our website. So single- or double-spacing is fine. 12pt Times New Roman is often standard, too.

Best,
SCA

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution

Frankie Bones

USC Forum Moderator
Staff member
I think single spacing is fine. If you do I would try to steer clear of 10 point font as it’s hard on the eyes and if you do cram a whole page of single spaced text in with that font size, you’ve likely been too wordy! Just my 2 cents. Their mention of 12 point Roman as being standard kind of implies you’re not doing yourself or anyone any favors to drop to 10 (unless you have proportionately less than 1 page of text). I think mine was 12 point Calibri but not totally certain. Definitely stayed with 12 and not 10 in any case.

Add your film school application to our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Add Application…

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Add your own Application to our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications