• THANKSGIVING WEEK LIFETIME SUPPORTING MEMBERSHIP SALE: If you are finding FilmSchool.org helpful, consider becoming or upgrading to a Lifetime Supporting Membership for ONLY $16! (20% off) by entering the coupon code THANKS. Coupon expires Sunday 11/29 at midnight PST.

USC Fall 2010

Zumbi

Hi all.

Wondering if they are keen to see a film with a "narrative structure" or a "film that is narrated"?

You know? It's kind of different. In a narrative you could play around loads of different subjects, reality, fantasy, whatever. Philosophic mood. Of course is narrated and we have a voice. But in this case we only have the VOICE OVER.

In is a film narrated (V.O.) it will be like someone is telling a story, but yet you could have dialogues, voices, or another form to express your idea.

I do believe and I understood that is NARRATIVE kind of film, so 1st choice would be the right one for me. And that a music or soundtrack would be allowed on both.

Only wondering about the ways that we could do it wrong and how to avoid it.

Aislada

Hey all :) I'm applying to USC Fall 2010 as well. I don't know if I want to go into Film & TV or Screenwriting. I have to make a short film for the Film & TV one and I don't know if I can do it in time with all the crap happening in my life but I'm going to try!

I'm also applying to Columbia, Boston University and NYU so far.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zumbi

>>>A. An outline for a four-minute film that contains no dialogue. It can be fiction or non-fiction. The story has to be communicated visually. (no more than two pages)<<<

Wondering.... What USC is keen to see here? It does not especify if it can or not be an outline for the SAME 4-min video, IN CASE you're doing a video, of course.
Not that would make a huge difference in your application.

But what would you guys do? What do you guys think? An outline for a different film?

Aislada

Question for those who are applying to the USC Screenwriting program: is a statement of purpose still needed for the application? I'm looking on the website and I don't see it there, but on the online application it says you should. Anyone have any clarification? I'm still writing a statement of purpose for my other schools-- I just wanted to check if USC wanted one or not.

Silverlenz

I was wondering the same thing. It looks like the want the character sketch in place of the Personal statement.

Zumbi

Yeah.. True. It is for 1st December now.
This is GREAT! I hopefully could do my short film to send.

Great news for everybody I think!
:D

alect006

Hi All,

I'm also applying to USC (and UCLA and AFI). I did their little online tour seminar thing this morning and the guy taking it just happened to mention with the photos you need to submit a 2 page narrative story with them, which was news to me. Then I checked on the website and discovered they changed the criteria and got rid of the simple narrative photo option... which I already finished (and spent a long time on). I think I'm going to email to see if I can still submit those photos but was wondering if anyone knew when they changed the criteria? (I took them early September, so that's probably the last time I checked thoroughly) Hope everyone else's applications are going well :)

-Tom

bernhardw

Hey alect006.
I have the same problem. Did the sequence and now I see they've changed it. Keep me updated about that email your going to send them.
bye

alect006

http://cinema.usc.edu/programs...application-prod.htm

Photo Option:
Prepare a series of six photographs you have taken which, when viewed in a specific sequence, portray a unique and original character. Along with that include a two page narrative story about the character. The images may either be black-and-white or in color. (4x6 inches in horizontal format)

Will keep you posted when I hear back from USC.

Edit: Just tried google cache to get the original criteria (the cache was the 7th of October so less than 2 weeks ago) and the requirements were:
Prepare a series of six photographs you have taken which, when viewed in a specific sequence, portray a unique and original character or which tells a simple narrative story. The images may either be black-and-white or in color. (4x6 inches in horizontal format)

psufilmgirl

sounds like they are trying to stiffen the competition to me. oh man, I hope i don't have to do that.

I guess I should start the creative wheels since I've completed everything else for a new app, need it be necessary. (I'm still waiting on a decision for spring admission~YELP!)

Latest Classifieds

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

• Film And Television Institute of India
    4.00 star(s)
    Graduate Certificate, TV Direction
    I was enrolled in the 1-year Direction certificate course in the TV wing in the session 2018-19. Following are the pros and cons that I...
    • ValArya
  • University of Texas at Austin - Department of Radio-Television-Film
    4.00 star(s)
    Great film school outside of LA/NYC
    I would say overall UT's film school is a great choice! It is rated #11 on THR's Top Film School List in the U.S. Sure it's nowhere near LA or NY...
    • Anonymous
  • Columbia College Chicago - Cinema Directing (M.F.A.)
    5.00 star(s)
    a great decision
    Columbia College Chicago is not only one of America's best film schools it is also one of the most affordable. The program is advertised as 2...
    • Jcromwell
  • Fitchburg State University
    4.00 star(s)
    Okay School, especially for the price
    Came in as both a transfer and commuter, so my experience was really lessened by that fact. Your time and success here is really up to you...
    • Anonymous
  • SUNY Purchase - Playwriting & Screenwriting BA
    5.00 star(s)
    Excellent Quality Program
    I want to start off by mentioning that I came to Purchase as a transfer student from another liberal arts college and screenwriting program. This...
    • catmom