USC Fall 2010

Originally posted by Junie:
I totally hear you about stressing out over the creative assignments. I actually really like what I've got for my most emotional moment piece, and I want to be able to submit pieces I'm just as confident in for all the other assignments. I'll write something I think is pretty good, edit it for a week, then decide it's crap, trash it, and start over. I'm getting a little anxious now, that I won't be able to think of the right thing before the deadline arrives.

I didn't think anyone would reply to my ridiculous post, but looks like I wasn't the only one rewriting the creative assignments over...and over... And then waking up in the middle of the night and writing it over. And then asking myself the next morning what I thought I was doing last night... My obsession with the assignments went on hold for the UCLA app, but I'll be coming back around for another cup of creative anxiety soon. I finally came up with a good story for my emotional moment, so I'm a bit more at peace with the world for now. Hope you are too.

Soooo aspiring screenwriters. How's everyone doing with those creative challenges? I keep psyching myself out. I've gone through about 4 different concepts for the "two people who live together, one wants to leave the other wants them to stay" scene, two of which I'd written out completely, one I got about halfway through before deciding it was stupid. I'm on my 5th concept right now, I've got a loose outline for it, but am starting to get that familiar barrage of self doubt. I feel like all my scenes are really melodramatic, and I don't know if it's because I'm actually a terrible writer or if that's just the nature of the assignment. Also, I have just a few themes that keep coming up in my writing lately and I don't like it. I know it's good to have a voice, but I want to show range as well.

Originally posted by Junie:
Soooo aspiring screenwriters. How's everyone doing with those creative challenges?

I locked them away a month ago and stopped looking at them! That said I think I'm satisfied with what I've got. I also brainstormed probably a good 5-10 concepts for each of the scenes. I just went with the ones that were the most vivid, and most fun to write. When I finished them I sent them out to a few close friends who I know to be honest, and their reactions were enough for me. When I sent out the more personal assignments - e.g. autobiography, emotional moment... I got silence, so I know I've got to step them up.

I'm a first year in the MFA Writing for Screen and TV program at USC. If you have any questions, feel free to ask! I know a fair amount about UCLA and have some insights into their admissions process as well.

A word of advice: don't blow off the emotional moment essay. When I was admitted, I was told that my application was accepted almost entirely on the basis of that essay.

Good luck!

Hello everyone!

I had a question: is it possible to apply to two master's programs in the Cinema department? Like, can one apply to the production program as a first choice, and then the Peter Stark program as a second choice?

I'm searching the site right now, but I thought I'd ask in here.

Originally posted by asr:
Hello everyone!

I had a question: is it possible to apply to two master's programs in the Cinema department? Like, can one apply to the production program as a first choice, and then the Peter Stark program as a second choice?

I was going to apply for two until I found this on their website:

Admission to any program at the USC School of Cinematic Arts is competitive. It is possible, but not advisable to apply to more than one at a time.

I think they want applicants focused in one area, so it could prejudice them against you. HOWEVER, I don't know how well each program coordinates with one another, so it's probably not that big of a deal. They probably just say to keep students from applying to every single program as a fail-safe.

Originally posted by asr:
Hello everyone!

i went to the campus tour at usc and they said that if you're planning on applying for the spark program, you should only apply for that one. other than that it should be fine. she even went on describing how to apply for two programs. in case anyone is wondering, you have to apply online, submit it, and apply again for the other one after you've submitted your first one. and i think she said they would waive your fee on the second one. i don't think she was sure about the fee being waived so you should check with them.

Hmmm I don't imagine any school especially USC waiving their fee. I think they will charge anyone who applies to mor than one program. Could you imagine all the work (sorting, collecting etc) envolved with each persons file?

Originally posted by Trojan2011:
If you have any questions, feel free to ask! I know a fair amount about UCLA and have some insights into their admissions process as well.
Good luck!

Awesome, thanks! I'm curious of you notice any difference in the selection process/criteria between USC and UCLA. What sort of people are they looking for? In what ways are the students and "feel" of the two programs different?

Once more into the breach with this, I guess. Third time is a...well, it's just the third time.

Switching it up a little this year. After a couple of years working as an assistant producer, writer and editor at a production company, I have a much clearer idea of my goals and what I want from a program. I'm actually going to be applying to the Stark Program this year, after a couple of years trying to get into the screenwriting program.

Any current or past Starkies out there with any advice on how to differentiate myself?

(I have stellar academic scores and two years of production and post-production experience including a variety of freelancing jobs. )

Hey, so the topic has deviated a little but finally got an email back from the head of admissions, stating that the simple narrative photo option is fine, just submit with the 2 page write up.. not sure what everyone else did, but I spent ages making sure that every little prop and character placement made the story quite evident, so doing a write up kinda of kills it a little for me.. not sure if i should do the film instead now, and just cut something i've done down to 5mins..

I disagree. I approached the assignment under the original criteria to tell a story just with images and I feel writing a narrative with it is like having a cheat sheet. Obviously it'll be different for different people, and depends how you approached the task, but personally I don't think that my written version will match the visual. (particularly keeping the story "simple") Anyway it is what it is. Hopefully that won't be the deciding factor :S.

i totally know what you mean alec006...

i actually had to change my idea because my original one would've lost something if it'd been accompanied by a written out story. i felt like it was supposed to stay alone visually and i had worked out all these more subtle visual story points and cues that just seem lame spelled out explicitly.
i was pretty disappointed when they changed the prompt lol

I'm a starkie Bartley Fink. I've been working on my portfolio and application for about a month. If you don't mind, could you share you background and experiencies? (ie. work, education, film experience, college gpa)

Thanks,
Silverlenz

This got lost at the end of the last page:

Once more into the breach with this, I guess. Third time is a...well, it's just the third time.

Switching it up a little this year. After a couple of years working as an assistant producer, writer and editor at a production company, I have a much clearer idea of my goals and what I want from a program. I'm actually going to be applying to the Stark Program this year, after a couple of years trying to get into the screenwriting program.

After two years as an associate editor, assistant producer and production assistant at a small production company, I've decided that, if anything, my interests and goals are more firmly met in a producing program. I hope the fact that I'm applying to a different program won't look like I don't know what I want out of it. (If anything I know now more than ever...)

Any current or past Starkies out there with any advice on how to differentiate myself?

(I have stellar academic scores and two years of production and post-production experience including a variety of freelancing jobs. )

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back