USC Fall 2010

Zumbi

Hi again.

Thought would be a good idea to have a topic exclusively for USC FALL 2010.
Last year the USC FAll topic reached more than 1000 posts. So better organize by school to save our time when looking/sharing info.

Hey! I'm applying for the Film MFA program. I've written a few short scripts and will finish shooting and editing short films based on them by the beginning of October.
I'm submitting a few written works and my personal statement is halfway done.
Good luck to everyone!

I'm applying to USC for a Masters in Writing for Screen & Television.

These assignments are making me lose sleep at night! "Emotional moment" is just F'ing killing me.

Is anyone else worried that they're just not interesting enough to be accepted? How eccentric do you have to be? Are there a lot of people in film school like Prince? He rocks and everything, but if that's who goes to film school, I'm cosmically screwed.

Looking for solidarity and neurosis out there.

I'm applying for MFA Production for Film & TV.

Not sure about my statement.
not sure about my video. Actually tinking between a video or an animation. But not much time as I have a good idea but not resources to do it.

One question. The VIDEO as a narrative, should be KIND of STATEMENT? Or it could be, let's say, a fiction story I wrote, then I could make is as an animation or a film?

Hi Arash

Sorry. It was a ridiculous question anyway.
I use to do that, so I got a quick answer saying NO.
THank you by the way.

So, it's actually reality or fiction then. Cool.

I have REALLY GOOD recommendation letters, so I believe that I can get in if I do a REALLY GOOD statement and video/animation.

I'm afraid to go for animation, as it takes more time because I don't know After Effects, but Flash.
I could do a flash one and save as a video. but again, my skills in flash are really good for online advertisement, but for a good animation you need to DRAW stuff and this might reveal a weakness I have (drawing)...

I thought to do a video, using a good idea I had. Will think more and tell you later to see what you think, ok?

Hey my fellow film fanatics!

As mentioned by several other users, this forum has been such a great help during the application process.

BTW I'm applying for USC Screenwriting Fall 2010!

I'm in the process of getting my letters of recommendation right now. One is from the Dean of my current film school and the other is from the Creative Director at a production company that I work for.

I'm having a really hard time nailing down who I want for that last letter. I could go with another film professor, but I feel like I already have that area nailed down with the Dean's letter.

I did a study abroad program a few years ago at a community college and I was thinking the advisor for that program could really show how I have a global perspective. However, the program was in no way film related.

If anyone has any advice on this situation I would greatly appreciate it. I look forward to getting some feedback and hopefully we all get into USC and become colleagues. What an exciting time to be a film kid!

They always say a former boss who knows you well is a good recommender.

But then again, from everything I've read, letters of recommendation are the one of the least influential things in an application.

The most important thing is that the person knows you well...it's much better to have a professor or boss who can write a specific, in depth letter, than a boiler plate letter from a famous person.

Thanks Robot---

Sounds like solid advice. I think I'll go with my advisor for my study abroad program because I had a really good relationship with her and she has a good idea of my work ethic.

Let me know when and what department are you applying for...if you need any help as well I'll do my best. I've completed the Emotional Essay and first Creative Challenge so I might be able to offer something on that end.

Hey guys,

I'm applying to USC for screenwriting MFA for fall 2010 as well. Focusing most of my attention on my personal statement right now, and I'm also knee deep in my app for UCLA, so I haven't been able to give as much time to my USC app. I'm struggling with that since USC is definitely more my place than UCLA. Oh well. Applying to Chapman as well. Are y'all applying anywhere else?

Originally posted by pleiades:
I'm applying to USC for a Masters in Writing for Screen & Television.

These assignments are making me lose sleep at night! "Emotional moment" is just F'ing killing me.

Is anyone else worried that they're just not interesting enough to be accepted? How eccentric do you have to be? Are there a lot of people in film school like Prince? He rocks and everything, but if that's who goes to film school, I'm cosmically screwed.

Looking for solidarity and neurosis out there.

I totally hear you about stressing out over the creative assignments. I actually really like what I've got for my most emotional moment piece, and I want to be able to submit pieces I'm just as confident in for all the other assignments. I'll write something I think is pretty good, edit it for a week, then decide it's crap, trash it, and start over. I'm getting a little anxious now, that I won't be able to think of the right thing before the deadline arrives.

Don't try to be out there, guys...just be you.

Personally, I threw out everything I'd been working on for nine months and wrote new stuff about 48 hours before the postmark deadline, and convinced a postal worker to give me the right postmark even though I didn't send it til 2am, technically a day late.

I got in off waitlist...I always wonder if I would've gotten in straight up or rejected if I'd sent the other stuff...but I'll never know.

Best of luck, guys. It's a great program.

Hi.

Applying for the MFA Production for Film and Tv.
I'm striving to write something cool. And even more to make a nice narrative video. I got really inspired by 2 short films from the collection of shorts PARIS, JE T'AIME. Tose who likes shorts, it's a must see!

I have a good story. But will need a small production, 2 actors, needs to be shot in another town in UK. Thought to go for an animation video. But I believe it will make me waste more time.

Thinking on what todo, but the drama is being all mine.I really want to be accepted. My hopes are now bigger than last year, after I found out a month ago I was not accepted (probably mostly) because I didn;t send everything I was supposed to. Very sad news.

Help me, Obi-Wan-Kenobi. You are my only hope.

Hi All, I'm applying for USC Grad Production this fall also.

I have one of those questions that I've answered in my head a million times but I'm just going to throw it out there to see what you all think. Here goes:

How horrible do you think it will be if your film sample runs over the 5 min. limit? Do they automatically disqualify you?

I'm thinking the reviewer would just stop watching at 5 min. or before if they've had enough or if they like it they could continue.

I keep thinking to myself: Don't go over! Follow the guidelines - they don't have time for anything more! Just keep it at 5 mins!

But then I think: I like the entire flow of the film”¦its only 4 extra mins”¦cutting it takes so much away from the story!

I'm wondering what you all think.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's 4 minutes it over a 5 minute limit, it's almost twice as long as it's supposed to be. I'd say you have some editing to do. Sorry man.

A minute or less, you might be okay, but I would shoot to hit the time limit. It exists for a reason. You need to learn to edit yourself.

I have a good story to tell.
Problem is that what I want demands 2 actors, a cliff as a landscape outside London, therefore it would be a bit dangerous shooting.
Worried not only about time. But about have the resources on time.

My last resort would be go for an animation.
Does anybody have good examples of narrative films to put in here?
I know what a narrative film would be, but sometimes a bit of inspiration might help.

Thanks
:D

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking of putting 3 pivotal scenes from 3 longer films that just run about 5 minutes total as my video submission...do you think that's something they expect or are they really looking for a straight up 5 minute film (problem is i've never done anything quite that short)

I think that they're probably more interested in your ability to communicate a story. So if you select three scenes and each of those scenes is successful in communicating a narrative, then it will be ok.

On the flip side, I think if one were to submit a film that is just highlights of their coolest shots and sequences from past work, that's not going to impress them as much.

This is just what I gathered during the making of my undergrad reel and I assume it probably still holds true. =)

Originally posted by Jayimess:
Don't try to be out there, guys...just be you.

Personally, I threw out everything I'd been working on for nine months and wrote new stuff about 48 hours before the postmark deadline, and convinced a postal worker to give me the right postmark even though I didn't send it til 2am, technically a day late.

I got in off waitlist...I always wonder if I would've gotten in straight up or rejected if I'd sent the other stuff...but I'll never know.

Best of luck, guys. It's a great program.

Ha. That's what I'm afraid will happen to me. Except I'm doing the online application, so there's no possibility of charming the postal worker for me D:

I'm glad to hear you had a good experience at USC. I'd love to go there, but I am realistic about the admission rates and trying not to fantasize too much.

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous
  • Florida State University - MFA in Writing
    5.00 star(s)
    Degree: MA/MFA
    Concentration: Screenwriting
    Hidden Gem
    Before I get into the details, it's worth mentioning that I'm in my second year at this program and have really enjoyed my time here. I will be...
    • catmom

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back