USC Fall 2010

Originally posted by jamesc:
Rejected by email. Email was dated March 11, so I guess the glitch was that the email just didn't go out. Oh well, time to start working on next year's app :)

James, sorry. Where are you in the Bay Area? There lots of opportunities up there to strengthen you application for the upcoming year (I lived there for 5 years). City College of SF is a wonderful place that has a lot of resources for the money you pay, and you can work in 8mm in your first semester (and eventually 16mm). And they do night classes. Great faculty. PM me if you want more info.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's great BWyatt!!! Who knows maybe you'll decide against applying for school next year if things go great with your film. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
also a Spring waitlist to Fall reject (via email, also dated 3/11).

Not sure if I'm going to reapply. I don't think I'm capable of writing a better personal statement.

Hopefully Columbia or NYU pull through for me.

Maybe it's finally time for me to bite the bullet and go to law school.

Don't do it Robot... You've faired better than 95% percent of the applicants out there. If you don't get in I think you should reapply. you can always up your game with improved portfolio pieces.

Persistence alone is omnipotent.

okay that rejection email stung HARDCORE. to make matters worse, i was at work and I just lost it.

you would think after 3 times (once for stark and now twice for production) it wouldn't hurt as much.

i'm really not sure how to market myself to get noticed and it's wearing thin.

I'm going to apply for spring 2011.

Thanks for the words of encouragement Elliot!!!

I'm going to keep trying. Its really the one thing I want and I know if I keep working, I'll get there.

But the rejection still BLOWS.

I'm sorry to hear that.... Don't give up. If this is something you really want, then try again next year. Also, on a side note have you thought about applying to Chapman?

Something to keep in mind for anyone dealing with the pain of rejection right now:

Steven Spielberg applied to, and was rejected from, USC three times.

So what did he do? He went somewhere else - Cal State Long Beach, not exactly a hotbed for filmmaking then or now, and he took a really intense internship at Universal Studios in their editing department. He made friends there, hooked up with a wannabe producer (Dennis Hoffman), and directed a $15,000 short film, which he transitioned into a television directing contract.

Granted that was a different era, and there were different industrial circumstances in film production in the late 60s, but there are still so many different ways to 'make it' - even more now, because the internet has led to a democratization of distribution.

We're all pursuing film school because it seems like the right way, and for many of us, it is, but you can't let yourself be dissuaded from filmmaking by this process.

There's a reason why there are brick walls - it's to keep other, weaker people out of what you know you should be doing.

well i'm looking into chapman now. if anyone knows some one in that program, let me know. i don't know much about it. i have time over the summer to look at other schools, i just really like what usc has to offer.

and brendon-i hear you. i'm going to keep trying no matter what. i just wish i started trying when i was younger!

Well said brendon... BTW I love that quote. I love that quote by Randy Pausch.

Well said brendon... BTW I love that quote by Randy Pausch.

@psufilmgirl-Chapman's deadline is April 1.

SilverLenz

Originally posted by Silverlenz:
Well said brendon... BTW I love that quote by Randy Pausch.

SilverLenz

Is that where I got that from? I knew I had heard it somewhere, but couldn't recall...

Yes sir, Randy Pausch.....from the Last lecturer. If you do a search on youtube you can watch his entire presentation on Goals....etc..

SilverLenz

Originally posted by M Dawg:

For those whose status is confirmed, does your online application indicate as much or does it still read that it's been forwarded for review?

I got word on Tuesday (from the writing division) via e-mail, followed by ground mail from the graduate school on Thurs and ground mail from writing Friday.

As of today (Monday night) the online app still indicates submitted to department and no further action. I wouldn't take that as gospel.

Originally posted by B.D. Flory:

I got word on Tuesday (from the writing division) via e-mail, followed by ground mail from the graduate school on Thurs and ground mail from writing Friday.

As of today (Monday night) the online app still indicates submitted to department and no further action. I wouldn't take that as gospel.

Thanks for the insight and congrats on being accepted. I have no reason to believe I'm getting in (no interview; can't log into the camel site), but this silence has me all worked up again so I really appreciate the info.

USC makes a point of the fact that they don't do interviews for the writing division. What are you applying for, if you don't mind my asking?

And thanks for the congrats.

I'm applying for production with an emphasis in cinematography, for which I believe there are interviews. It's possible I was rejected and the email just bounced.

I've been rejected everywhere else so I just can't imagine I've gotten in.

Well, I hope you get some good news. For what comfort it offers you, given our different programs, my film background is primarily scholarly, too.

At any rate, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous
  • Florida State University - MFA in Writing
    5.00 star(s)
    Degree: MA/MFA
    Concentration: Screenwriting
    Hidden Gem
    Before I get into the details, it's worth mentioning that I'm in my second year at this program and have really enjoyed my time here. I will be...
    • catmom

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back