• THANKSGIVING WEEK LIFETIME SUPPORTING MEMBERSHIP SALE: If you are finding FilmSchool.org helpful, consider becoming or upgrading to a Lifetime Supporting Membership for ONLY $16! (20% off) by entering the coupon code THANKS. Coupon expires Sunday 11/29 at midnight PST.

USC Film and TV production MFA Spring 2021 Applications

thisismaritza

Supporter
Hey everyone! Congrats on those who have received an offer of admission so far. I was waitlisted for Fall 2020 and admitted for Spring 2021, so I'll be seeing you all there come Spring! I was wondering if anyone has heard if the spring semester will likely be online as well? The admission letter didn't say anything about that, and I haven't heard anything from SCA. What do you all think will happen? I kinda feel like it won't be open in Spring.

Anhdn

Supporter
Hey everyone! Congrats on those who have received an offer of admission so far. I was waitlisted for Fall 2020 and admitted for Spring 2021, so I'll be seeing you all there come Spring! I was wondering if anyone has heard if the spring semester will likely be online as well? The admission letter didn't say anything about that, and I haven't heard anything from SCA. What do you all think will happen? I kinda feel like it won't be open in Spring.

Hey thisismaritza, so excited to see you in the Spring as well!

This recent video from the president seems to indicate that classes will likely be held virtually. Even if there are hybrid courses, they would still let you have the option to take them online only. It's unfortunate, but they have to follow the LA county guideline.

I really want to move to LA, but I am hesitant to do so if no other classmates are there and the USC campus is not open.

Joestar

Is there anyone planning to submit photo option for the visual sample?
Hey @Blue Grape I think you might find the Fall 2021 applications thread more useful, since they're still developing their applications:

Everyone here already submitted for the spring. Fwiw I went with video.

thisismaritza

Supporter

This recent video from the president seems to indicate that classes will likely be held virtually. Even if there are hybrid courses, they would still let you have the option to take them online only. It's unfortunate, but they have to follow the LA county guideline.

I really want to move to LA, but I am hesitant to do so if no other classmates are there and the USC campus is not open.
Thanks for the info! I'm in the same boat. I want to move to LA but then again financially is it worth it if no one is on campus lol? I'll most likely do the first semester online and hope that by Fall 2021 everything will be back to normal. At least for us, it'll only be one semester online (hopefully) instead of a whole year.

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
Remember to add your application to the database to help others if you haven't already.

It would be a huge help to other and future applicants.

Good luck everyone. It sounds like decisions are still going out so don't lose hope.

ShereanJ

Hi Martiza congratulations on your acceptance. I wanted to know can I ask you some questions regarding your application experience and your background experience that helped get you into USC?
Any insight would be great.

Blue Grape

Supporter
Hey @Blue Grape I think you might find the Fall 2021 applications thread more useful, since they're still developing their applications:

Everyone here already submitted for the spring. Fwiw I went with video.
Thanks!! Did you get in?

It's good practice if you don't, in my opinion. USC does not state it clearly but other schools (like Loyola) do say they do not want access to any other works than the one within your visual/writing samples. I think they are not allowed to review them during their process.

As for whether it should look like a resume, I would say do whichever you feel fits your personality and remains appropriate. Lots of applicants will do a resume, so it's good practice to think outside the box and show them you go the extra mile. I designed it into colorful magazine-style papers and add screenshots. I don't know what they thought, but at least they didn't penalize me :)

Good luck!!
Thank you very much. this is very helpful.

Wow a magazine-style, that's very creative!

ScriptToScreenDream

Supporter

I have friends who are currently in the MFA program and they have told me that Spring 2021 semester will be online. Hoping this info helps you :)

Latest Classifieds

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

• Film And Television Institute of India
    4.00 star(s)
    Graduate Certificate, TV Direction
    I was enrolled in the 1-year Direction certificate course in the TV wing in the session 2018-19. Following are the pros and cons that I...
    • ValArya
  • University of Texas at Austin - Department of Radio-Television-Film
    4.00 star(s)
    Great film school outside of LA/NYC
    I would say overall UT's film school is a great choice! It is rated #11 on THR's Top Film School List in the U.S. Sure it's nowhere near LA or NY...
    • Anonymous
  • Columbia College Chicago - Cinema Directing (M.F.A.)
    5.00 star(s)
    a great decision
    Columbia College Chicago is not only one of America's best film schools it is also one of the most affordable. The program is advertised as 2...
    • Jcromwell
  • Fitchburg State University
    4.00 star(s)
    Okay School, especially for the price
    Came in as both a transfer and commuter, so my experience was really lessened by that fact. Your time and success here is really up to you...
    • Anonymous
  • SUNY Purchase - Playwriting & Screenwriting BA
    5.00 star(s)
    Excellent Quality Program
    I want to start off by mentioning that I came to Purchase as a transfer student from another liberal arts college and screenwriting program. This...
    • catmom