USC SCA Film Production MFA 2023

Hey guys, I got accepted for fall 22 but couldn't attend due to personal reasons so I'm reapplying for fall 23.
Do all of my creative submissions have to be brand new?
Example: the personal statement, visual sample, writing sample?
what parts of my application can be the same and which parts have to be completely new?
I understand if I have to build a new visual and writing sample but what should I do if I feel my personal statement last year was the best representation of who I am and is completely spot on for me?
I have just done more work in the industry and explored avenues in this year but my purpose remains exactly the same.
Can somebody help me out here?

I understand if I have to build a new visual and writing sample but what should I do if I feel my personal statement last year was the best representation of who I am and is completely spot on for me?
I have just done more work in the industry and explored avenues in this year but my purpose remains exactly the same.
I don't recommend sending an exact carbon copy of your old personal statement as that doesn't show much effort.

I'd mention somewhere near the beginning of the personal statement that you applied last year and was accepted but couldn't attend due to x and you are ready to attend this year. Or something like that.

Then update anything else in the statement that would bring it up to present day in terms of experience. The bulk of it can be very similar as you got in last year and it apparently worked so just bring it up to date and fix anything like typos if they exist etc.

Good luck!

I don't recommend sending an exact carbon copy of your old personal statement as that doesn't show much effort.

I'd mention somewhere near the beginning of the personal statement that you applied last year and was accepted but couldn't attend due to x and you are ready to attend this year. Or something like that.

Then update anything else in the statement that would bring it up to present day in terms of experience. The bulk of it can be very similar as you got in last year and it apparently worked so just bring it up to date and fix anything like typos if they exist etc.

Good luck!
Thanks for always being so helpful, Chris!
Just one last follow-up question,
Am I supposed to get 2 completely new letters of recommendation?
I used the best ones I could on my last application, and even today they'll be better than any new ones I get people to write.
Can I have the same people recommend me this year too?

I'm honestly not sure and maybe others can chime in too but I think that's fine.

Does anyone know if we can start the slideroom application, and then come back to it a different time or does it need to be done in one sitting?

You can save and make changes later. You'll be able to submit when all of the required fields are filled
Awesome thanks! I just want to be prepared before I start the application. Also, do you know if I need physical copies of my letter of recommendations or do I just tell them the reference and email?

Awesome thanks! I just want to be prepared before I start the application. Also, do you know if I need physical copies of my letter of recommendations or do I just tell them the reference and email?
On your Slideroom page you just need to input your recommender names and email addresses. They will receive a link that directs them to a form and they can upload the scan of the letter or input their recommendation message into a text box just like sending an email. You'll receive an email when they have submitted their recommendation ;)

On your Slideroom page you just need to input your recommender names and email addresses. They will receive a link that directs them to a form and they can upload the scan of the letter or input their recommendation message into a text box just like sending an email. You'll receive an email when they have submitted their recommendation ;)
Awesome thank you! Do you know if there deadline the same as the overall deadline or do they get extra time?

What would you guys say is the most important part of the application? The 5 minute short? The personal statement? I ask because I currently don't have the best access to make a great 5 minute short, but I worked really hard on my personal essay, writing samples, and I think I have a decent film resume. I'm just worried this 5 minute short might cost me....

personal statement
Personal statement is the most important. See our interview with USC admissions.

Actually pretty much any of our admissions department interviews say that your personal statement is pretty much the most important.

What would you guys say is the most important part of the application? The 5 minute short? The personal statement? I ask because I currently don't have the best access to make a great 5 minute short, but I worked really hard on my personal essay, writing samples, and I think I have a decent film resume. I'm just worried this 5 minute short might cost me....
Personal statement, hands down.

Do I need to mail my transcript if I already copied and uploaded it on there website? The deadline passed, but they don't send you your USC ID until a couple days after your submission so I am unsure if I need to also mail them a transcript.

Do I need to mail my transcript if I already copied and uploaded it on there website? The deadline passed, but they don't send you your USC ID until a couple days after your submission so I am unsure if I need to also mail them a transcript.
Yes, you do. Wait until they give you the USC ID, then mail your transcript to them. Don't forget to ensure they have received your mail, because they couldn't find my mail at first. After I showed them the delivery receipt, they finally found it

Yes, you do. Wait until they give you the USC ID, then mail your transcript to them. Don't forget to ensure they have received your mail, because they couldn't find my mail at first. After I showed them the delivery receipt, they finally found it
How do I make sure they get it? And can all this be done after the deadline? Because they don't send you your ID until you submit your application, and I submitted mine the day it was due.

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous
  • Florida State University - MFA in Writing
    5.00 star(s)
    Degree: MA/MFA
    Concentration: Screenwriting
    Hidden Gem
    Before I get into the details, it's worth mentioning that I'm in my second year at this program and have really enjoyed my time here. I will be...
    • catmom

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back