USC Film & TV Production 2019

Chris W

As You Wish
Staff member

storyteller

Hey everyone!
I am planning to apply this year for the Film Production MFA program and I'm already working on my application!
For the writing sample I've opted for the film concept (I already have a movie idea on my mind) but I was wondering about the format.
Does anyone know what USC is expecting, or has also submitted a film concept?

estherk

Hey everyone!
I am planning to apply this year for the Film Production MFA program and I'm already working on my application!
For the writing sample I've opted for the film concept (I already have a movie idea on my mind) but I was wondering about the format.
Does anyone know what USC is expecting, or has also submitted a film concept?
format isnt that important. i just wrote a synopsis outlining the structure and plot of the film. as long as you communicate your idea clearly it should be fine!

Last edited:
format isnt that important. i just wrote a synopsis outlining the structure of the film. as long as you communicate your idea clearly it should be fine!
Hi Esther, congratulations on getting accepted to the program! This may sound like a weird question, but could you tell me what time of the day you received emails for your interview / final admission?

estherk

Hi Esther, congratulations on getting accepted to the program! This may sound like a weird question, but could you tell me what time of the day you received emails for your interview / final admission?
thank you! hm, i've usually received e-mails from them during business hours, often in the afternoon PST.

I am an international student and I received an interview email today, so stressful!
Congratulations and best of luck for your interview! Are you a fall 2019 applicant? I didn't know they send out emails during weekends.

Deb F

Congratulations and best of luck for your interview! Are you a fall 2019 applicant? I didn't know they send out emails during weekends.
Yes i am a fall 2019 applicant. It seems that it is not an official interview? The professor emailed me at 22 pm.

JoannaFern

Hi everyone! I just got reached out to by a professor for an interview. He mentioned it would only be a couple of minutes/a few quick questions, and naturally, I'm immediately overthinking. Has anybody here had an interview and what do they generally ask? Does anybody have some tips for me? Thanks so much.

Hi everyone! I just got reached out to by a professor for an interview. He mentioned it would only be a couple of minutes/a few quick questions, and naturally, I'm immediately overthinking. Has anybody here had an interview and what do they generally ask? Does anybody have some tips for me? Thanks so much.
I found an old thread [here] from applicants from the Fall 2018 application process where people talk about their interviews. It seems like it's pretty informal and used as a way to get a sense of who you are. One person mentions that the professor told them the call/interview would have no bearings on their decision.

estherk

the interviews are pretty informal. i was told that having one was not a guarantee of being admitted. a lot of the questions were pretty typical of what you would expect from an interview, such as - what filmmakers inspire you? what films do you want to make? why usc?

they also ask about how you plan on paying for the program.

overall it seemed like they want to get a sense of who you are and reach out if they liked your application but they need more info about you. good luck!!

Latest Applications

Latest reviews