Hey all -- I was looking through previous admitted information and I see that 78 people were accepted to Film and Television Production for fall of 2018 (last year) and I've been keeping up with those of you who were accepted for this fall (and spring) and only 9 people were admitted? Does that mean that a lot more people have a chance? I'm low key freaking out lol.

Hey all -- I was looking through previous admitted information and I see that 78 people were accepted to Film and Television Production for fall of 2018 (last year) and I've been keeping up with those of you who were accepted for this fall (and spring) and only 9 people were admitted? Does that mean that a lot more people have a chance? I'm low key freaking out lol.
I mean 9 people that use this message board. What about all the people accepted who haven’t posted on this message board?

Hey everyone, it was my 2nd time I applied to USC, and this time I got accepted, BUT I applied for scholarship, and still didn’t receive any letter about this...
And I need to provide proof of financial support, which I cant do fully until I know any details about scholarship.. is there chance that I can miss my spot if I keep waiting for the scholarship letter?

Last edited:
Hey all! I didn’t get in. Just thought I would follow through and post my results. I got an email telling me to check YouSC where as someone said above, a generic rejection letter was waiting for me, sadly. This is my second year applying to complete my MFA. I had an interview at AFI last year and was rejected, so this year I thought I’d go for USC and was rejected once again so i’m now contemplating if I’ll go for another try. However I’ve worked on 2 Netflix series and 1 Netflix feature, Directed 2 short films that both went through the film festival circuit i wonder if I should just keep working in production and forgo school!

However I’ve worked on 2 Netflix series and 1 Netflix feature, Directed 2 short films that both went through the film festival circuit i wonder if I should just keep working in production and forgo school!
No reason not to do both! :)

Hey all! I didn’t get in. Just thought I would follow through and post my results. I got an email telling me to check YouSC where as someone said above, a generic rejection letter was waiting for me, sadly. This is my second year applying to complete my MFA. I had an interview at AFI last year and was rejected, so this year I thought I’d go for USC and was rejected once again so i’m now contemplating if I’ll go for another try. However I’ve worked on 2 Netflix series and 1 Netflix feature, Directed 2 short films that both went through the film festival circuit i wonder if I should just keep working in production and forgo school!
Honestly, that’s a really really impressive portfolio!! I’m very shocked you didn’t get in but I genuinely think that you could be successful without school if you keep working hard in production!

I’m a fellow Canadian too and I still haven’t heard back yet but I’m positive I’m just next in line to get a rejection letter. Can I ask how you got into production and what your experience was like making short films and going through the festival circuit? I am trying to do the same thing myself right now and would love advice!

No reason not to do both! :)
Would love to but have to get in first! I’m 34 so if I try again next year I’ll be 35 going int school. Now, age isn’t a bar
Honestly, that’s a really really impressive portfolio!! I’m very shocked you didn’t get in but I genuinely think that you could be successful without school if you keep working hard in production!

I’m a fellow Canadian too and I still haven’t heard back yet but I’m positive I’m just next in line to get a rejection letter. Can I ask how you got into production and what your experience was like making short films and going through the festival circuit? I am trying to do the same thing myself right now and would love advice!

Would love to but have to get in first! I’m 34 so if I try again next year I’ll be 35 going int school. Now, age isn’t a bar
Well my fingers are still crossed for you that there’s a chance! I’m not sure either, perhaps I’ll never know! Those I work with in the industry encouraged me to go to school too because they felt I’d be well suited for it and many wrote my letters of recommendation as well but who knows. I started working as a Director’s Assistant, an executive producer’s assistant. I also worked as a graphic designer for art departments and am now an IATSE Art Director Assistant Permittee. I originally made my 2 films for my AFI application last year and when that didn’t work out I hit the festival circuit and thankfully both films screened at 6 different festivals including one this past weekend in Philly and it’s been a great experience meeting other filmmakers and many had good insights into whether or not film school was worth it. They’ll be hearing about this today! Feel free to message me privately and we can exchange details! Is that an option on here?

Also I just wanted to say, congrats to all that made it! This is your time! Sending you all of the luck with scholarship efforts and moving to LA et al! Make it happen!!!
wow, u ve got an amazong portfolio! I dont get why you were not accepted. U should keep working and keep applying for the next year, I believe you ll make a great impact on the industry! So, keep moving forward!

I just got an email from USC saying that I wasnt selected for any scholarhip this year, and I can get in if I just pay for tuition, which is impossible for me as international student from middle class family -(
I guess, I ll have to politely decline the offer and try again

That is so strange. This is the first email you got from them too? I'm sorry :(

That is so strange. This is the first email you got from them too? I'm sorry :(

not exactly, I ve receievd letter a month ago sayiing that I can be accepeted and need to send documents showing my financial support in order to get an official letter and start process regarding visa and staff. And I asked if I got any scholarship, and just yesterday got this email - sorry u were not selected and u should get back to the admission and provide all documents if u still intend to attend usc.

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous
  • Florida State University - MFA in Writing
    5.00 star(s)
    Degree: MA/MFA
    Concentration: Screenwriting
    Hidden Gem
    Before I get into the details, it's worth mentioning that I'm in my second year at this program and have really enjoyed my time here. I will be...
    • catmom

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back