points4irony

Fall 2021 undergraduate BFA applications to USC's SCA Film & TV production program discussion thread. Surprisingly, I couldn't find a thread for SCA's undergraduate Fall 2021 applications so here it is. My son just finished submitting his application last week, and being the curious parent that I am, found this nice little corner of the internet to share our experience (hoping it's not a short lived one that ends in a rejection).

I was wondering whether there will be a spike this year in film school applications... Universities are reporting record number of applicants, so I’m kind of scared there could be a crazy number of students applying to SCA this year

I asked about the application number for fall 2021 during an information session, and was told that SCA had a ‘tiny bit increase’ in application. Judging by what the admission counselor said, USC in general seems to have had a significant increase in application

I was wondering whether there will be a spike this year in film school applications... Universities are reporting record number of applicants, so I’m kind of scared there could be a crazy number of students applying to SCA this year
I asked my interviewer for the MFA and she said it was about the same number as normal!

Has anyone received an interview request?
Not yet. On USC website says that merit scholarships finalists are supposed to be contacted this week. Wondering whether I will receive both the scholarship interview request and the film one.
How about you? Have you received anything??

Not yet. On USC website says that merit scholarships finalists are supposed to be contacted this week. Wondering whether I will receive both the scholarship interview request and the film one.
How about you? Have you received anything??

I haven’t received any emails from SCA at all regarding interview or supplemental documents. My idea is that If they are seriously considering my application, I expect SCA to contact me for an interview because I am a non-traditional applicant, and they would be interested in clarifying a few things (what I’ve been doing, illness, etc)

From what I read, the interview requests were sent out early/mid-February last year. Since the scholarship notifications are mid-February (10th, 11th or 12th), I think SCA could send out interview requests late-February.

Nope! I wasn’t expecting much but I still cried in bed
I’m respectfully laughing hahaha
Yes, I felt really really bad too, mainly because that scholarship was literally everything to me. Now, even if I get accepted, I won’t be able to afford it...

I’m respectfully laughing hahaha
Yes, I felt really really bad too, mainly because that scholarship was literally everything to me. Now, even if I get accepted, I won’t be able to afford it...

don’t lose hope! SCA offers departmental scholarships.

And start writing. You never know whether your screenplay gets sold to fund your education lol. Dream big bro, and good luck.

Fall 2021 undergraduate BFA applications to USC's SCA Film & TV production program discussion thread. Surprisingly, I couldn't find a thread for SCA's undergraduate Fall 2021 applications so here it is. My son just finished submitting his application last week, and being the curious parent that I am, found this nice little corner of the internet to share our experience (hoping it's not a short lived one that ends in a rejection).
Another curious (obsessing but staying out of my son's way as best I can) parent here! Thanks for making this thread. My son applied to USC's SCA for 2021 too. There is so little info out there and holding my breath this long is exhausting. My son is self-propelled and very possessive of his journey which is great and I am as proud as I can be, at the same time, I fell like I'm living out the plot of Bird Box. Anyone know anything about what it means when a kid gets a zoom interview request?

Another curious (obsessing but staying out of my son's way as best I can) parent here! Thanks for making this thread. My son applied to USC's SCA for 2021 too. There is so little info out there and holding my breath this long is exhausting. My son is self-propelled and very possessive of his journey which is great and I am as proud as I can be, at the same time, I fell like I'm living out the plot of Bird Box. Anyone know anything about what it means when a kid gets a zoom interview request?

Tips for undergrad interview? DD is very nervous/excited about hers this week. The wording made her wonder if it would mainly be about the content of her application? Or will it be more about the program or her goals?

Tips for undergrad interview? DD is very nervous/excited about hers this week. The wording made her wonder if it would mainly be about the content of her application? Or will it be more about the program or her goals?

As the link above your post details, just be herself. None of us wouldn’t know why she is being contacted for an interview, so authenticity would be her best strategy. Just tell her to thoroughly review her application (her essays, her Common App extracurriculars, etc). According to what I’ve read, the ‘interviews’ were almost like casual conversations. There also is a list of questions that are commonly asked during interviews on this website- Film School Interview Questions

When was your daughter contacted for interview?

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous
  • Florida State University - MFA in Writing
    5.00 star(s)
    Degree: MA/MFA
    Concentration: Screenwriting
    Hidden Gem
    Before I get into the details, it's worth mentioning that I'm in my second year at this program and have really enjoyed my time here. I will be...
    • catmom

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back