USC Film & TV Production MFA Fall 2021 Applicants Unite!

ShereanJ

It's an unprecedented time to apply for film schools in LA but here we are, friends. Good luck to everyone! Looking forward to agonizing and swapping essays together :)
I would love to connect and come together to see how we can strengthen our applications together. I spoke with a current student and she mentioned she and her friends did this.

ScriptToScreenDream

Supporter
So I was waitlisted for Spring 2021. I've read that the Personal Statement is really important. My original Personal Statement stuck out enough for USC to want to interview me. I'm having trouble deciding to alter my Personal Statement for my Fall 2021 app. Do I do a completely new one? Or should I stick with the same statement, since it got USC's attention?

Please help asap, thank you!

deeoz

So I was waitlisted for Spring 2021. I've read that the Personal Statement is really important. My original Personal Statement stuck out enough for USC to want to interview me. I'm having trouble deciding to alter my Personal Statement for my Fall 2021 app. Do I do a completely new one? Or should I stick with the same statement, since it got USC's attention?

Please help asap, thank you!
I was thinking of just editing mine. But I'm not sure where it needs improvement. If anyone can help me review mine that would be great!

cheeeese3cake

Hello got a question regarding the concept for a feature film (#3 on writing sample): should I write it in screenplay format? I saw most film treatments are in screenplay format.
Also hasn't anyone NOT submitted their applications yet? Does handing it in on Nov 15 affect USC's decision... i am so stressed atm :(

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
Todays the day! (midnight deadline) How many still haven't gotten their applications in?

***VERY IMPORTANT*** DO NOT WAIT UNTIL LAST MINUTE!

There's been many cases over the years where people wait until the last minute and theirs a technical issue and they miss the deadline.

Don't let that be you!!!!

Cy98

Hi everyone! Does anyone have any tips on how to forgot about USC until February? I’m always checking my emails, but I know deep down I won’t hear from USC for months

JasperJohns

Supporter+
Hi everyone! Does anyone have any tips on how to forgot about USC until February? I’m always checking my emails, but I know deep down I won’t hear from USC for months
I know you posted this in November, but I'm just seeing it, now. I hope you've been doing okay! (I am applying to the screenwriting program, not the production one, FYI.)

I think it's impossible to forget about the outcome of your application. Your acceptance or denial is something you care deeply about, and, if you're going to be a creatively successful filmmaker, it's going to be at least partially because you obsess about both the little and the large things. My advice, since you asked for it, is to embrace these character traits as positives, rather than as problems.

I have a famous actor friend who has many of the biggest of big awards our industry gives. He still has doubts that he has any talent or ability. While he comes off as cocky and super self-confident, he's actually obsessing about whether or not he was any good in the last take and can he pull it together for the next one. But he has come to accept this doubt as a constant travelling companion, a given for his line of work. So, rather than trying to silence the voice that encourages negatives (DON'T think about that, DON'T say that line that way, FORGET ABOUT your application) he's accepted that the voice is never going away. He has, instead, turned it into a compass. The moment it says not to do something, he does it, with awareness. Because the obsessive nature of his doubt now leads him to actions that cause him to deliver great performances.

He takes the straw and spins it into gold.

So, in your case, maybe check for an email -- and then write about a character who is constantly obsessing over something. Anything. Doesn't matter. Knitting a scarf. A patient in a coma. Becoming the first American on The Great British Baking Show... Thing. Turn your current OCD into something creative. Use it as fuel for something larger. Let it strengthen you as a creator rather than weaken you. Then, each time you go to check the results of your application, add to the story. Even add another character and consider making this silly exercise into a draft of a dialogue scene for NEXT year's application, in case you don't get in.

Those are my 4 cents. GOOD LUCK AND HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Last edited:
Add your film school application to our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Add Application…

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Add your own Application to our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest reviews

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications