USC Film & TV Production MFA Fall 2021 Applicants Unite!

Nice! How did it go?
Honestly, it went really well. The interviewer asked a lot about my short film, my personal statement, and asked about how I would use the resources at USC. At the end of the interview they specifically said "things are looking good for you" in regards to my application. They also said that their recommendation will be submitted to the committee by friday.

Cy98

Honestly, it went really well. The interviewer asked a lot about my short film, my personal statement, and asked about how I would use the resources at USC. At the end of the interview they specifically said "things are looking good for you" in regards to my application. They also said that their recommendation will be submitted to the committee by friday.
Glad to hear it went well! Hoping we hear about our decision statues soon

lanihead7

So I’m gathering that if you didn’t get an interview, you’re out? Been waiting but it looks less and less likely that i’ll be getting an interview lol

jackgooch

So I’m gathering that if you didn’t get an interview, you’re out? Been waiting but it looks less and less likely that i’ll be getting an interview lol
Not necessarily. Like someone replied to me earlier, each interviewer does it at their own pace so they might just not have gotten around to you yet. I looked at last years stats too and they were still giving out interviews at this time, so don’t loose hope just yet. I haven’t 🤞🙏

Cy98

Interviewing with USC isn't an indication of whether you got in or not. People get accepted or rejected without interviews and people get accepted or rejected with interviews. Hold tight soldier :)
Totally agree! A USC faculty said here that getting an interview doesn't mean automatic acceptance. Remember, there is no mandatory interview for USC film production, professors sometimes contact applicants to get to know them more.

JasperJohns

Supporter+
So my interviewer basically called me while driving to their doctors appointment. He had my name mixed up with another applicants so I corrected him. He just asked me to take it from there and ask him any questions that I may have.

We talked about the types of people we meet on a film set. What would be the biggest outcome of attending USC (the interviewer said it's the industry connections). He specially mentioned how surprised he was when he moved to LA years ago and discovered how half the people working in Hollywood were USC alum. We talked about my undergrad experience and where I went to school. We talked about where I grew up and some of his background. To sum it up, it felt like a great opportunity to talk to and ask questions to an industry professional who has a successful Hollywood career. An opportunity often hard to come by in my opinion :)
This is great! Congrats!!!

JasperJohns

Supporter+
MotherSuperior lives up to the name! lol. Congrats!!! That is great news! Keep us posted!

JasperJohns

Supporter+
Totally agree! A USC faculty said here that getting an interview doesn't mean automatic acceptance. Remember, there is no mandatory interview for USC film production, professors sometimes contact applicants to get to know them more.
Have you had your interview yet, DoTheCyThing? (See what I did there)? How did it go?

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
As others have said an interview is not required for admission.

Cy98

Have you had your interview yet, DoTheCyThing? (See what I did there)? How did it go?
Haha good one! It went well, the interview was like a conversation, discussed my short film, how to work with difficult people, my goals, why I want to go to USC, and even the French New Wave.

cheeeese3cake

Quick question for those who already had their interview, are you allowed to re-arrange the time with the interviewer if the time they initially provided doesn't work for your schedule? Is it common/rude to do so since the interviewer can be extremely busy?

cgold

Supporter+
Quick question for those who already had their interview, are you allowed to re-arrange the time with the interviewer if the time they initially provided doesn't work for your schedule? Is it common/rude to do so since the interviewer can be extremely busy?
I’d say as long as you give them enough notice they’d be fine with switching it around!

EJohnson21

Supporter
I was notified of the interview on Tuesday and had the interview today. I was extremely nervous, but as soon as it started, I felt so comfortable. It was like having a conversation with someone I've known forever. You can tell they just really want to get to know you better as not only a creator, but a person. My advice is to just be yourself. I was nervous that maybe I didn't have enough technical experience and that I would be asked questions to test my knowledge, but this was not the case. We spoke about my upbringing, laughed a ton and at the end I was just that much more in love with the program. Good luck to anyone who is interviewing and for those that haven't received the notification, don't fret, the professor also stated not everyone who is interviewed gets in and vice versa.

Latest Accepted Applications

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

• Emerson College
    3.00 star(s)
    Go if you have a sizable scholarship
    Ultimately glad I went, but my overall experience at Emerson felt very lackluster. The courses were good, but nothing really worth sinking almost...
    • Anonymous
  • USC School of Cinematic Arts (BA/BFA)
    5.00 star(s)
    A Journey Most Illuminating
    I started my USC adventure as a Theatre major. I quickly discovered that I needed to change paths, and film had always been of interest. I thought...
    • JHD
  • London Film School (LFS) - Directing Summer School with Udayan Prasad
    5.00 star(s)
    Great Filmmaking Intensive, Though Pricey
    I attended this summer program in 2019. I wanted to try out directing in an environment where I would get feedback on my work and where I could...
    • llueve
  • Northwestern University - School of Communication
    4.00 star(s)
    Good for film theory, not so much for production
    *Please take this with a grain of salt, as I went to NU over a decade ago. While I was there: Classes in film theory and screenwriting were great...
    • Anonymous
  • Film And Television Institute of India
    4.00 star(s)
    Graduate Certificate, TV Direction
    I was enrolled in the 1-year Direction certificate course in the TV wing in the session 2018-19. Following are the pros and cons that I...
    • ValArya

Latest Accepted Applications