mcholman

Hey everybody! I saw there wasn't a thread for fall 2014 applicants, so I thought I'd start one and connect with my fellow worrywarts as we wait! I applied back in October, and naturally haven't heard anything yet. Sound off if you're out there!

Hey! I just searched youtube for stuff labeled 'USC submission,' and had it organize by date. A ton of people uploaded their video on the day of the deadline, so it's pretty easy to find. I'm from Kansas.

Hey! I just searched youtube for stuff labeled 'USC submission,' and had it organize by date. A ton of people uploaded their video on the day of the deadline, so it's pretty easy to find. I'm from Kansas.

Thanks! I'll definitely watch some! :)

Here is what I've submitted:

I noticed there are a couple over 5 minutes, I thought that the maximum lenght was 5 minutes?

Hi Guys!

Great job with both of your films! :) They are really good!
It's really nice to get to know the other applicants. I've also applied just before the deadline, and here is the film I've submitted:

By the way, are you already preparing for a potential interview?

Another applicant! Yay! I'll be sure to watch yours as soon as I get off work ;)

I've read through the previous threads of USC applicants (applying for Spring semester), and they all said that their interviews were very informal, just a chat. They also said that they asked USC how it all works, and USC said that all the professors are given a stack of applications to go through, and then they make recommendations to a student review board. USC said that the professor initially reviewing the applications is the one who has the option to do an interview, and whether or not they do one is entirely based on their preference - not getting an interview is not in any way a sign that you've been rejected - it could be that the professor just doesn't like doing interviews. I'm not really prepping for it that much - some of the questions I heard were, 'what's your favorite movie and why,' 'why do you want to make movies,' 'Who's someone in the industry that you admire,' etc. Easy stuff. Main thing is not to be nervous.

Keep posting on here! Remember, if we make our connections now we'll be way ahead of everybody else! Our time there will focus heavily on forming lasting partnerships and working together ;)

hmm i thought i posted on here haha.. good work everyone! i applied to the peter stark producing program so i hope to see you all on campus! does anyone know what date they will notify us by??

hmm i thought i posted on here haha.. good work everyone! i applied to the peter stark producing program so i hope to see you all on campus! does anyone know what date they will notify us by??

I think I heard that we would start getting calls about interviews at around February, and then acceptance letters March/April. It's actually not that far away! AAAH! :D

G_F: I really liked your video! Very entertaining :)

What's up everyone. Since it's the new year thought I'd join. I'm applying for Fall 2014, MFA Screenwriting. From LA.

What drew me to USC is by far the reputation of its alumni and facilities. Would love the opportunity to attend such a prestigious school in the Fall - wish I could right now. So...yo.

Hey hey,

What does your Applyyourself status say? JFSWLA's is totally different then mine: YOUR FILE HAS BEEN FORWARDED TO THE ACADEMIC DEPARTMENT FOR REVIEW AND AN ADMISSION DECISION."

Mine still says: THANK YOU FOR APPLYING TO GRADUATE STUDY AT USC. YOUR FILE IS CURRENTLY IN THE FIRST STAGE OF OUR EVALUATION PROCESS. WE WILL NOTIFY YOU IF ADDITIONAL INFORMATION OR MATERIALS ARE REQUIRED. PLEASE CONTACT YOUR INTENDED ACADEMIC DEPARTMENT DIRECTLY TO MAKE SURE ALL SUPPLEMENTAL APPLICATION MATERIALS HAVE BEEN RECEIVED.

Nervous!

Hey hey,

What does your Applyyourself status say? JFSWLA's is totally different then mine: YOUR FILE HAS BEEN FORWARDED TO THE ACADEMIC DEPARTMENT FOR REVIEW AND AN ADMISSION DECISION."

Mine still says: THANK YOU FOR APPLYING TO GRADUATE STUDY AT USC. YOUR FILE IS CURRENTLY IN THE FIRST STAGE OF OUR EVALUATION PROCESS. WE WILL NOTIFY YOU IF ADDITIONAL INFORMATION OR MATERIALS ARE REQUIRED. PLEASE CONTACT YOUR INTENDED ACADEMIC DEPARTMENT DIRECTLY TO MAKE SURE ALL SUPPLEMENTAL APPLICATION MATERIALS HAVE BEEN RECEIVED.

Nervous!

Sorry, hope it's okay I posted your Status. :S :)

Hey JFSWLA! Welcome to the group!

I think you should be good. I'm pretty sure that's what mine said, too.

I gotta say I applied for similar reasons, but a major factor in deciding which school would be my number one choice was the tour that they gave. One of the things that really struck me was their confidence in helping to open the door to the industry. They said: "If you want to be the next avant garde experimental filmmaker, we will help you get there. And if you want to make the next 'Iron Man,' we'll help you get there, too." None of the other schools I visited exibited that kind of assurance that, if you have the talent and the drive, they can help you get anywhere. And those kind of statements certainly don't feel baseless when you're sitting in facilities that are equal to Warner Bros. Studios. They were very focused on the practical, and the importance of making connections in the industry while you're at school so that you have something lined up when you graduate - the last thing they want is for their graduates to end up waiting tables instead of winning academy awards.

Everyone, be sure to post the moment you hear something from the school! :)

Hey JFSWLA! Welcome to the group!

I think you should be good. I'm pretty sure that's what mine said, too.

I gotta say I applied for similar reasons, but a major factor in deciding which school would be my number one choice was the tour that they gave. One of the things that really struck me was their confidence in helping to open the doior to the industry. They said: "If you want to be the next avant garde experimental filmmaker, we will help you get there. And if you want to make the next 'Iron Man,' we'll help you get there, too." None of the other schools I visited exibited that kind of assurance that, if you have the talent and the drive, they can help you get anywhere. And those kind of statements certainly don't feel baseless when you're sitting in facilities that are equal to Warner Bros. Studios. They were very focused on the practical, and the importance of making connections in the industry while you're at school so that you have something lined up when you graduate - the last thing they want is for their graduates to end up waiting tables instead of winning academy awards.

Everyone, be sure to post the moment you hear something from the school! :)

Agreed. USC is very supportive from the get go - from the tours to the financial aid sessions...hell, even the emails make the school seem "approachable" if that makes sense.

I think the one question I have for other writers is, and this always depends on the screenwriter's style and goals, but I'd like to know where everyone stands on Indies (usually leans UCLA) and Blockbusters (usually leans USC). I personally love Independents (story and style wise) but rank USC as my number one. Thoughts? Anyone feel or heard the same?

Side comment about the whole "waiter in LA thing." What's funny is as a writer waiting tables for awhile can only make your stories better, eh? On second thought...maybe we'll leave that for the actors. =) (Actors are great btw)

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back