I was waitlisted last spring. When a spot didn't open up they told me i could reapply for fall for free. I was then waitlisted again but this time they told me I would be adminted for the spring 2015 if a spot didn;t open up for fall...
Arijit

I'm so confuse now! so if the letter say:

Though we are not able to offer you an immediate spot in the Fall 2014 class, we would like to place you on the Fall 2014 waitlist. The waitlist guarantees that you will be considered for Fall admission if any admitted students decline our offer prior to the start of the semester. If waitlist space does not become available, we will offer you a spot in our Spring 2015 class.

What do they mean by spot??? I email them back to ask ...they send back the same sentence which doesn't help !
I read that you work there... so I have all this questions if you dont mind helping :) ... i still gotta decide USC VS. AFI
how many students are in Film production course each semester? (how big is each class)
also do you know the exact tuition fee?

If by spot they mean v really got accepted (figercross) then I'm looking forward to meet u all !!! My name is Dream and I'm from Thailand... I'm DOP but looking to change track to be a DIRECTOR.

CHEERS!

Hi, everyone. I stumbled upon this site while I was bored and waiting for my Chapman acceptance/rejection to come in. I was wondering if anyone else has been checking their mail / email 50 times a day while they are at their boring 9-to-5 job like me.

I've been accepted for the USC Fall 2014 Film & TV MFA. Now I'm just waiting on Chapman. I'll either have a big decision to make... or I need to look for a place in LA. My family is pretty tied to San Diego, so I'd have to commute and live in LA for most of the week. Man, the things we must to do to follow our passions.

Well if anything, this is a great forum place to meet other filmmakers, not to mention future classmates. I'm really interested in making films in China or Mandarin language stuff here in SoCal.

Hope to see some of you at the event on April 4th.

Ryan

Just received my rejection letter. This will obviously be my last post, but I just wanted to say that they are complete morons, and I will make sure they regret their decision. And I'm not giving them one cent when they realize who they turned away and beg to give me an honorary degree like Steven Spielberg.

My name is Michael C. Holman. Remember it.

You will hear it again.

Arijit

Though we are not able to offer you an immediate spot in the Fall 2014 class, we would like to place you on the Fall 2014 waitlist. The waitlist guarantees that you will be considered for Fall admission if any admitted students decline our offer prior to the start of the semester. If waitlist space does not become available, we will offer you a spot in our Spring 2015 class.

What do they mean by spot??? I email them back to ask ...they send back the same sentence which doesn't help !
I read that you work there... so I have all this questions if you dont mind helping :) ... i still gotta decide USC VS. AFI
how many students are in Film production course each semester? (how big is each class)

If by spot they mean v really got accepted (figercross) then I'm looking forward to meet u all !!! My name is Dream and I'm from Thailand... I'm DOP but looking to change track to be a DIRECTOR.

CHEERS!

Hi Dream,

I received an email same as yours. "Spot" means "admission," because it says "we are not able to offer you an immediate SPOT in the Fall 2014 class." "Spot" appears two times, a parallel. You can get the same conclusion. Good luck! Remember my name, Patrick, and I will see you soon at SCA.

Arijit

CHEERS!
Hey Dreamashlee
Congratulations on your spot !!:)
First thing ... I asked the department, they replied back with the term "guaranteed a seat" which will be available once the waitlist closes!!
So, I am pretty sure it will turn out positive.
Cheers!

Congratulations to you Ryan Michael Connolly
and also to xiphias!!

Hey Dreamashlee
Congratulations on your spot !!:)
First thing ... I asked the department, they replied back with the term "guaranteed a seat" which will be available once the waitlist closes!!
So, I am pretty sure it will turn out positive.
Cheers!

Congratulations to you Ryan Michael Connolly
and also to xiphias!!

Thank you, Arijit. Congrats to you, too. How have your other applications turned out? Do you have a decision to make, or does it all hinge on how the USC waitlist turns out? Hopefully by mid-April or so, all of our futures will be a bit less foggy, haha!

Thank you, Arijit. Congrats to you, too. How have your other applications turned out? Do you have a decision to make, or does it all hinge on how the USC waitlist turns out? Hopefully by mid-April or so, all of our futures will be a bit less foggy, haha!
Not a word frm AFI or NYU !!
Expecting a result by April 1st (that's what they said :p)
I am really rooting for USC... lets see how things turn out.
April has a lot of answers indeed !! ;)

Hi!!
Congrats to everyone who got in or will be getting into a film school soon.
I am an international student.I will be applying to USC,NYU,SVA & AFI for Fall 2015(film production).Can you people give me some suggestions before i apply to these universities?
I have a few queries as well,please help me.

-I was told a min undergrad gpa of 3.0 is required for USC(i am not sure of other universities).Is there anyone who got in with a gpa below 3 into any film school(USC,NYU,SVA & AFI)?Will it play an important role?Which of the above film schools take gpa seriously & which ones don't?

-I dont have any work experience.But i did film related projects, while studying in college itself(thats one reason why i don't have a gpa of 3 ;) ).So will work experience matter?I will be applying to film schools right after my undergrad(which is not film related).But i have done significant amount of work(3 documentary films-one of this is still in production, 2 music videos and 1 indie project etc) in films.I have scored A's in all my film/media related electives at college.

-Also i haven't seen people in this blog talking much about european film schools & film schools in Canada (pardon me if i am wrong).Some of these film schools like FAMU, Polish film school have created brilliant directors & cinematographers.But they aren't as famous as the above ones.Is there anyone here who has info about EU film schools/film schools in canada or is there any thread which is already created for that?

Thanks in advance.

I'm just about to finish my MFA at USC and I remember how obsessed I was with this forum when I was applying. Thought I would revisit and see if I could help at all....

-I was told a min undergrad gpa of 3.0 is required for USC(i am not sure of other universities).Is there anyone who got in with a gpa below 3 into any film school(USC,NYU,SVA & AFI)?Will it play an important role?Which of the above film schools take gpa seriously & which ones don't?

I can't speak for the others but GPA is definitely important at USC. You will be in class with Ivy Leaguers, UCLA/Berkeley folks, other elite grads. You need to know how to write, communicate, and have a sense of what's happening in the world. Unless you have an AMAZING life story or visual portfolio, you should have a 3.3 at least if you come from an average school (I had a 3.8 from a very competitive university).

-I dont have any work experience.But i did film related projects, while studying in college itself(thats one reason why i don't have a gpa of 3 ;) ).So will work experience matter?I will be applying to film schools right after my undergrad(which is not film related).But i have done significant amount of work(3 documentary films-one of this is still in production, 2 music videos and 1 indie project etc) in films.I have scored A's in all my film/media related electives at college.

Some set experience will help you while you're there, but I don't know if it will help you get in. It may help to mention it in your interview to show that you know how grueling this line of work is and that you're passionate about it regardless, but they are really looking for unique individuals with stories to tell. You'd be better off travelling Russia by train/doing the peace corps/being a Sandinista/working on a hog farm/etc for 2 years and then writing how that shaped you rather than PAing for 2 years, because anybody can do that.

-Also i haven't seen people in this blog talking much about european film schools & film schools in Canada (pardon me if i am wrong).Some of these film schools like FAMU, Polish film school have created brilliant directors & cinematographers.But they aren't as famous as the above ones.Is there anyone here who has info about EU film schools/film schools in canada or is there any thread which is already created for that?

Dude, I would totally go to a Euro school. Over many of the schools you listed. NFTS, FAMU, and especially La Femis. Go to the place that will expand your mind and get you out of your comfort zone.

I'm just about to finish my MFA at USC and I remember how obsessed I was with this forum when I was applying. Thought I would revisit and see if I could help at all....

I can't speak for the others but GPA is definitely important at USC. You will be in class with Ivy Leaguers, UCLA/Berkeley folks, other elite grads. You need to know how to write, communicate, and have a sense of what's happening in the world. Unless you have an AMAZING life story or visual portfolio, you should have a 3.3 at least if you come from an average school (I had a 3.8 from a very competitive university).

Some set experience will help you while you're there, but I don't know if it will help you get in. It may help to mention it in your interview to show that you know how grueling this line of work is and that you're passionate about it regardless, but they are really looking for unique individuals with stories to tell. You'd be better off travelling Russia by train/doing the peace corps/being a Sandinista/working on a hog farm/etc for 2 years and then writing how that shaped you rather than PAing for 2 years, because anybody can do that.

Dude, I would totally go to a Euro school. Over many of the schools you listed. NFTS, FAMU, and especially La Femis. Go to the place that will expand your mind and get you out of your comfort zone.

Firstly thanks a lot for your answer.What you told about Euro film schools is very true, they expand your mind.I will try in Euro as well.

Does gpa matter when you are coming from a different undergrad background? I don't think undergrad gpa will reflect a guy's level of communication/general knowledge.Its just my opinion.I guess toefl scores will reflect the level of communication anyway right?I was looking for a ray of hope if someone like me(with low gpa & good profile) got into film school.

As i am about to graduate, there is nothing much i can do to improve my gpa.I will work more on my profile.

Thank you once again for the answer.

Hey everyone! I know this is an old thread, but I am hoping someone can give me some feedback. I applied for the SCA grad spring producing program. Its been a month since I turned in the app, and I heard a rumor it takes 3 months to get a letter (God I hope not). I live in VA so moving my life out there in 2 months would be nuts. Anyway, any help would be great! Thanks!

Hey CMC, I live in VA too! I applied for fall and was waitlisted fall 2015/accepted for spring 2016. I think results come out late October to mid November. I'm also nervous about moving all the way to LA from VA, but I think finding a roommate in LA wont be too hard. Also they might offer you grad housing?

Hey Dag-- I am in a panic. When I applied, there was a program option for a 9 month Spring graduate program at SCA. NOW-- it has completely disappeared. It even says in my app that I didn't choose a program of study, and I know for a fact that I originally clicked on television and film production. Am I going crazy? The app was due August 1st, there is no way they could hold out for another 2 months right?! I mean that would give me a month to pack and move...

***freaking out***

CMC, I've never heard of a 9 month Spring graduate program. The MFA is a three year program. I would call the school and ask, cause this is weird.

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous
  • Florida State University - MFA in Writing
    5.00 star(s)
    Degree: MA/MFA
    Concentration: Screenwriting
    Hidden Gem
    Before I get into the details, it's worth mentioning that I'm in my second year at this program and have really enjoyed my time here. I will be...
    • catmom

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back