1. The FilmSchool.org community has been helping people apply to film school since 2002. Log in or Create an Account and get your film school questions answered.
  2. Did you go to film school for undergrad? Please review the school on our Film School review system. (You can review anonymously)
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Have you applied to a film school? Add your application to the Application Tracking Sheet so you can compare with your peers and track progress.
    Dismiss Notice

USC MFA Film and Television Production Fall 2018

Discussion in 'Graduate Film School Discussions' started by MFAman, Jan 14, 2018.

1. MFAman

MFAman Member

Ratings:
    +68
    Alright. Searched for this thread and found nothing so I created one. USC Film and TV Production MFA for Fall 2018. Interviews should start in a couple weeks. Anyone hear anything?

2. MacAndEs

MacAndEs Member

Ratings:
    +33
    Hate to chime in here but could a screenwriting MFA applicant also keep tabs in this thread? Super excited to hear back from USC!

3. lianlee

lianlee Member

Ratings:
    +54
    i have just checked my vimeo, and i have found out i got two views from California (most likely from the school) on January 13th. Both of them watched my short film completely. No interview notifications yet.

4. GoAndLoveSomeMore

GoAndLoveSomeMore Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Hello! I’ve been lurking around these boards since I started working on my applications last December. Finally got the courage to post! We’re in for a few bumpy weeks/months, but at least we are in it together! :)

#4 GoAndLoveSomeMore, Jan 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  5. TreeYoung

TreeYoung Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Hello all!! My anxiety is through the roof. I've been looking through this forum for a year and a half and finally decided to make a profile. I'm hearing interviews start this week.. Is this true?

6. GoAndLoveSomeMore

GoAndLoveSomeMore Member

Ratings:
    +7
    @TreeYoung I'm not sure! Where have you heard that? I'm nervous too, man!

7. TreeYoung

TreeYoung Member

Ratings:
    +15
    @GoAndLoveSomeMore A friend of a friend works there and told me.

I have a quick question.

Can a good portfolio overshadow my gpa? I can't go back in the past and fix my grades, but hopefully it won't affect me too much...

Any advice?

#7 TreeYoung, Jan 22, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2018
  8. GoAndLoveSomeMore

GoAndLoveSomeMore Member

Ratings:
    +7
    @TreeYoung Holy cow! Well, that is nerve wracking!

I've heard that USC values your application materials way more than GPA, so I wouldn't be concerned!

9. Yang Fei

Yang Fei New Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Why there is still no view on my vimeo?? I'm really upset!!

10. GoAndLoveSomeMore

GoAndLoveSomeMore Member

Ratings:
    +7
    @Yang Fei I only have one view all the way through on my link that was embedded in another website, which I'm guessing was Slideroom! Who knows? I'm over analyzing everything!

11. Yang Fei

Yang Fei New Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I got the vimeo plus so I can see the source, but no one from slideroom... and the only one view is in November, so I guess mine hasn't been viewed yet.

12. GoAndLoveSomeMore

GoAndLoveSomeMore Member

Ratings:
    +7
    @Yang Fei They have a ton to go through, I'm sure! I wouldn't worry! I'm just curious when people will start receiving calls!

13. Yang Fei

Yang Fei New Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Me too! Hope we can both receive calls soon!

14. Yang Fei

Yang Fei New Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I still do not get any views from slideroom :( The first thing I do when I wake up is to check my emails and vimeo...

15. Ram GM

Ram GM Member

Ratings:
    +33
    Hey guys I'm super excited this is my first yr of applying...the USC SCA application page lists that the deadline for applying to the SCA scholarships is Feb 5th. But since we have already applied to the relevant Scholarships on Slideroom while applying, do we need to do this one again?! @MFAman @lianlee @GoAndLoveSomeMore

16. GoAndLoveSomeMore

GoAndLoveSomeMore Member

Ratings:
    +7
    @Ram GM In all honesty, I'm not certain! I've been looking on the website to look for updates and guidance, but I haven't had any luck yet.

17. GoAndLoveSomeMore

GoAndLoveSomeMore Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Not to freak anyone out, but it looks like interview requests have started to go out, according to the spreadsheet!

18. TreeYoung

TreeYoung Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Have you checked your settings @Yang Fei ? Is your video private?

19. MFAman

MFAman Member

Ratings:
    +68
    @GoAndLoveSomeMore Yes, it looks like someone in MFA production received an interview notification two days ago. If that person is an international applicant, then there is still plenty of hope. If not...yikes!
    I'll call tomorrow, and see what I can find out (though, it's possible I might forget).

As someone who graduated from USC with honors with the name Bryan Singer on their diploma, I do feel the least the school can do is give me an interview before they throw everything in the paper shredder. That might sound entitled, but I own it, and have already been rejected a previous time.

Like I always say, I hope we all are accepted - seriously.

20. GoAndLoveSomeMore

GoAndLoveSomeMore Member

Ratings:
    +7
    @MFAman ... it seems like the applicant is from the U.S., so who knows!