USC MFA Film & TV Production 2017

Canon 5d. I know lots of you probably have them ( feel free to share tips on its use if you have them) but it's new for me and I'm very excited to learn how to make the most of what it can do. Lots to learn...

Ski films sound interesting! Where do you ski?
Here's one of my favorites I've done for the mountain.

Absolutely not over. My interviewer talked at length about this. The interview process for this particular program seems way more fluid than the rest. He said that this is how the process works:

All the applicants first get reviewed by a committee and a larger group gets selected from there. Then there is a second committee, of which, each person gets about 30 applicants to review. My interviewer says he only gets around to about 10. I have no idea how they decide who those 10 are or the purpose--they may have extra questions, they may just be interested in you as an applicant--but the interview in no way determines acceptance (though, it could put you over the edge if it's a solid convo).

I hope that helps.
Meryam is correct. I managed to fish this out of them last term when I had an interview for Spring 2017. If you move through the first round, then your application goes to a single faculty member. Your fate lies in their hands at that point. Some interview, some don't.

I reapplied for the Fall 2017 term. It sounds like some of you are having interviews??? I haven't heard a word, but I'm taking it as a good sign (or telling myself that). The really screwed a bunch of us back in Spring by not putting out decisions until a day after new applications were due. I was livid. My interview went great and I was confident, but I had to do a whole new application anyway. It makes me question USC and the faculty's competence when they put out decision a month late and overlapping a new deadline. It was extremely stressful to manage my daily life and have to put out a new application not knowing the fate of my previous.

Having gone through this stress and rejection, I have nearly shed my anxiety around it. I have an interview with UCLA in the morning and I refuse to stress. If they don't like me as I come, then its their loss.

Good luck everyone!

Meryam is correct. I managed to fish this out of them last term when I had an interview for Spring 2017. If you move through the first round, then your application goes to a single faculty member. Your fate lies in their hands at that point. Some interview, some don't.

I reapplied for the Fall 2017 term. It sounds like some of you are having interviews??? I haven't heard a word, but I'm taking it as a good sign (or telling myself that). The really screwed a bunch of us back in Spring by not putting out decisions until a day after new applications were due. I was livid. My interview went great and I was confident, but I had to do a whole new application anyway. It makes me question USC and the faculty's competence when they put out decision a month late and overlapping a new deadline. It was extremely stressful to manage my daily life and have to put out a new application not knowing the fate of my previous.

Having gone through this stress and rejection, I have nearly shed my anxiety around it. I have an interview with UCLA in the morning and I refuse to stress. If they don't like me as I come, then its their loss.

Good luck everyone!
Wow, sorry to hear that Jonny. If I understand you correctly,

Good luck everyone!
Sorry to hear that Jonny. If I'm understanding you correctly, despite having a very positive interview, you were still rejected? No waitlist?

Wow, sorry to hear that Jonny. If I understand you correctly,

Sorry to hear that Jonny. If I'm understanding you correctly, despite having a very positive interview, you were still rejected? No waitlist?
No Waitlist. I don't know how many each faculty can pick out of the number they are assigned, but I didn't make the cut. It's just good to know that I made it as far as I did.

I have one at UCLA tomorrow and they interview 70 out of 400. If you don't get an interview, you are out (though they don't tell you that). That narrows my odds to 1 in 4, not to over-think it.

I will likely chose UCLA over USC should both work out this Fall. They don't retain rights to your work and its about $100k cheaper and just as good though I know there are those who would slight me for such blasphemy. These schools provide the tools, whether we leave a good filmmaker is up to us.

Based on previous years (referencing the google sheets), it appears across a few different days.

Did someone hear back already?

Good luck everyone!

Hey Jonny,
Yeah i'm really sorry to hear you went through that. That's not fair at all. I'm wishing you all the best and sending positive vibes for your UCLA interview and this years USC application. Totally right to not let one person's decision affect your confidence and actually i'd say the same about how you got treated by USC in the waiting process. Don't let your anger with the school bureaucracy colour the choice you make if you do get accepted. The professors would probably be just as shocked by what you went through, and the things they have to offer once you get through that gate, are all that will matter.
You are clearly someone who has tons of talent to have got that far last time. Everything crossed for you for the weeks to come, whatever school you choose x

Based on the sheet in previous years, could I expect the results will be out in this weekend or this coming weekend?

Based on the sheet in previous years, could I expect the results will be out in this weekend or this coming weekend?

I'm guessing so @lianlee ... I kind of want to be submerged into one of those science fiction sleep tanks where you don't wake up until you've arrived at the other planet. ... Or, like, the YouSC email arrives...

Does anyone know how many students they take on for the MFA in Production each fall/spring?

I'm guessing so @lianlee ... I kind of want to be submerged into one of those science fiction sleep tanks where you don't wake up until you've arrived at the other planet. ... Or, like, the YouSC email arrives...

Does anyone know how many students they take on for the MFA in Production each fall/spring?
If I remember correctly from the info session, I think they take about 60 students for fall, but not sure about spring

Hi all, I'm usually only a lurker on this forum but just wanted to share I got my decision (accepted!) from USC's Production program this morning (via email at ~5:00 AM EST). For what it's worth I'm an international student. Good luck everyone and thanks for sharing info and support!

Hi all, I'm usually only a lurker on this forum but just wanted to share I got my decision (accepted!) from USC's Production program this morning (via email at ~5:00 AM EST). For what it's worth I'm an international student. Good luck everyone and thanks for sharing info and support!

Congratulations!!!!!!!

I got my decision, too! About the same time as you and I'm also an international student. It's so lucky to get this admission and this is my first post here! Sooooo excited and waiting for more good news!

It seems there is another domestic applicant got accepted too based on the sheet. So only three people get accepted today?

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back