USC MFA Film & TV Production Spring 2022

WriteLife

Supporter+
This thread is for anyone applying for Spring 2022 entrance. I am applying and would like to open a dialogue with anyone else who is applying.

Here's the instructions pasted from this page:

In addition to the Graduate Application for Admission, all applicants are required to submit supplemental materials via the SlideRoom Application for the Graduate Film & Television Production M.F.A. Program. You must access the SlideRoom Application via the "Go to SlideRoom" link in the SlideRoom tab in the Program Materials quadrant of the Graduate Application for Admission. The SlideRoom Application should only be accessed via this button in order for your applications to be linked and successfully submitted. All materials must be submitted via the SlideRoom Application and any materials sent by mail or email will not be considered.

1. Cinematic Arts Personal Statement
    The Cinematic Arts Personal Statement will be read by the admissions committee as a measure of creativity, self-awareness and vision. We are looking for a sense of you as a unique individual and how your distinctive experiences, characteristics, background, values and/or views of the world have shaped who you are and what you want to say as a creative filmmaker. We want to know about the kind of stories you want to tell. Bear in mind that enthusiasm for watching films, descriptions of your favorite films and the involvement in the filmmaking process is common in most candidates. As a result, we encourage that you focus on your individuality. Note that there is no standard format or correct answer. (1,000 words or less)
  2. Writing Sample (choose one) (Must be uploaded in PDF format only)
    1. A description for a four-minute film that contains no dialogue. It can be fiction or non-fiction. The story has to be communicated visually. (No more than two pages).
    2. A dialogue scene between two people. Provide a one-paragraph introduction describing the two characters in screenplay format. (No more than three pages).
    3. Describe a concept for a feature-length movie, fiction or documentary, which you would like to develop. (No more than two pages).
  3. Creative Portfolio List (Must be uploaded in PDF format only).
    The creative portfolio list is a written record of the applicant's creative materials. It should include a concise description of each project, the month and year the project was completed, the applicant's creative role and the purpose of the project. The material, which does not need to be film or television-related, should give an idea of the range and depth of the applicant's creative ability. Formal recognition such as awards, publications, jobs and exhibitions should be noted. The name of the institution or publication should be included when listing creative materials prepared for a class or publication. An example is below:
    1. July 2008, A Day in the Life, digital video, 12 minutes. Position: writer/director. A documentary on a homeless Iraq vet who has lived on the streets since his return from the military. Created for senior-year multimedia term project, San Raphael High School, Miami, Florida.
    2. March 2008, Doorways, a series of 5 black-and-white photographs. Position: photographer. "Second Prize Winner" in the Des Moines Sunday Journal photo contest.
    3. February 2007, Cellomorphosis, short story. Position: writer. A variation on the novella by Franz Kafka; published in Writing, vol. IV, 2007, at Amherst College, Amherst, Massachusetts.
  4. Collaboration Question (Must be uploaded in PDF format only)
    Describe a project that you worked on with multiple collaborators that left you feeling proud and fulfilled. Discuss your role in the project and explain why this collaboration was successful. Then, describe another collaborative project that left you unsatisfied. Discuss your role in the project and explain why this collaboration frustrated you. Finally, summarize what you learned from each of these experiences and describe the lessons you learned that inspire your future collaborations. (No more than two pages.)
  5. Video Introduction
    Submit a 30-60 second video of yourself speaking directly to the camera, in a single take with no edits, introducing yourself and explaining what will make attending SCA a successful experience for you and others.
  6. Media Sample (Choose one) (Upload in Portfolio Section).
    1. Video Option: Create a narrative video that is no longer than five minutes in which you had a major creative role. The video can be live-action or animation, fiction or documentary, but it should reflect your aesthetic tastes and intellectual and emotional interests. You must specify what role(s) you played. Submit only one video. Multiple submissions will cause your application to be rejected.
    2. Photo Option: Prepare a series of eight photographs you have taken which, when viewed in a specific sequence, portray a unique and original character or which tell a simple narrative story. Also include a one-page narrative about the character being portrayed in the photos. The images may either be black-and-white or in color. Please upload the photos in order of sequence. The one-page narrative must be uploaded in PDF format only.
  7. Letters of Recommendation
    Three letters of recommendation in no particular format are required. At least one letter of recommendation must be an academic reference. Any letters of recommendation must be submitted via the SlideRoom Application. Applicants are responsible for requesting letters of recommendation as well as confirming that they have been submitted by the deadline.

And here's our interview with USC Admissions in case people haven't seen it:

How to get Into USC SCA: Advice from an Admissions Committee Member

How to get Into USC SCA: Advice from an Admissions Committee Member

Considered by many to be the best film school in the world, it’s no wonder why the USC School of Cinematic Arts (SCA) is so sought after by prospective undergraduate and graduate students alike. However, the film school’s prestige can often make the application process particularly stressful and...

Writing Sample (choose one) (Must be uploaded in PDF format only)
  1. A description for a four-minute film that contains no dialogue. It can be fiction or non-fiction. The story has to be communicated visually. (No more than two pages).
  2. A dialogue scene between two people. Provide a one-paragraph introduction describing the two characters in screenplay format. (No more than three pages).
  3. Describe a concept for a feature-length movie, fiction or documentary, which you would like to develop. (No more than two pages).
Do you know which writing sample you might do?

And also @Chris W do you know if anyone submitted the photo series as a part of the portfolio for USC. I really need a reference for an idea. Could you help me out with that?
I seem to recall people doing it but I can't remember who. I'm not seeing any applications for USC with them attached but I do remember them for other programs.

Hi! I will most probably be starting in Spring 2022 (waitlisted for Fall 2021/admitted to Spring 2022). :) I had originally applied for Spring 2021 and was waitlisted. Again applied for Fall 2021 and waitlisted, with guaranteed admission to Spring 2022.

Hi! I will most probably be starting in Spring 2022 (waitlisted for Fall 2021/admitted to Spring 2022). :) I had originally applied for Spring 2021 and was waitlisted. Again applied for Fall 2021 and waitlisted, with guaranteed admission to Spring 2022.
Congrats. Any tips you can share would be greatly appreciated.

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous
  • Florida State University - MFA in Writing
    5.00 star(s)
    Degree: MA/MFA
    Concentration: Screenwriting
    Hidden Gem
    Before I get into the details, it's worth mentioning that I'm in my second year at this program and have really enjoyed my time here. I will be...
    • catmom

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back