USC MFA Writing for Screen & Television (Screenwriting) 2021

Hey guys! Just wondering if anyone knows the timeline of next steps for the admissions process? Good luck to everyone! :)
Earliest interview notification in the past had been as such:

USC - Writing for Screen and TV
  • FilmSchool.org USC Acceptance Rate: 26% (39 out of 159 applications)
  • Lowest Reported Minimum GPA: 2.9
  • Earliest Interview Notification Date: February 23
  • Earliest Interview Date: February 25
  • Earliest Decision Date: February 20
Film School MFA Acceptance Rates, Minimum GPAs, Decision Dates, and more... (2020 stats)

Film School MFA Acceptance Rates, Minimum GPAs, Decision Dates, and more... (2020 stats)

People often ask "What is the minimum GPA for USC film school?" Or "What is the acceptance rate of NYU film school?" The problem is that Film Schools are often very tight lipped and secret about their acceptance rates and the minimum GPAs that they accept. However thanks to the over 3,200...

Our very own @Septopus7 just wrote an amazing article on what he learned applying and getting into USC and AFI... Check it out!

After Three Years of Rejection, I Got Into The Two Best Film Schools in The World. Here Are The Five Things I Learned...

After Three Years of Rejection, I Got Into The Two Best Film Schools in The World. Here Are The Five Things I Learned...

So...you’re applying for film school, huh? I mean, that’s just my assumption. Not sure why you would bother reading this otherwise, especially with where we are currently in The Cycle of Applications. These next couple weeks are pretty much when all the major film school programs have their...
This article was really lovely. Insightful, frustrating, uplifting, hopeful. @Septopus7 did a great job.

Hey guys! Just wondering if anyone knows the timeline of next steps for the admissions process? Good luck to everyone! :)
There are no interviews for the Grad Screenwriting Program, so notifications arrive in late February/Early March. Traditionally, the last Sunday of February... judging from what @Septopus7 says in previous years' threads.

Happy New Year, AriGold8! isn't 2021 already SO MUCH BETTER than 2020...? 😬🤪

Yes, waiting is most definitely getting to be more difficult. And after the events of Jan 6, 2021, it feels like we're all breathing the toxic fumes of a shitty tasting Tension Soup someone left on the stove from last year. Here are two memes that made me laugh, though.

RenderedI1.jpg
IMG_79521.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are two memes that made me laugh, though.
The only good thing about this past year is that the memes are totally on point.

And I'll never doubt the stupidity of people who get killed easily in horror and zombie movies. And the people welcoming aliens in Independence Day.

Happy New Year everyone! ✨

I was wondering if I could ask about the USC financial aid situation? I don't know if I'm just being dumb haha but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to submit a financial aid application for USC 😂 I'm an international student so not completing the FAFSA, am I right in thinking that's all I have to do for now?

If anyone could weigh in I'd be super grateful!

Happy New Year everyone! ✨

I was wondering if I could ask about the USC financial aid situation? I don't know if I'm just being dumb haha but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to submit a financial aid application for USC 😂 I'm an international student so not completing the FAFSA, am I right in thinking that's all I have to do for now?

If anyone could weigh in I'd be super grateful!
What a great question, it is not at all clear on the USC website what the steps (if any) are for international students seeking aid.
I would suggesting asking the Financial Aid office directly. Go to: Email Us , select 'Financial Aid - Graduate' and 'Application' and just double-check with them.

It took a week for me to hear back when I sent them a question, so know that you probably won't hear back right away. And if you find anything out, do report back! I'm sure other students would love to know, too.

What a great question, it is not at all clear on the USC website what the steps (if any) are for international students seeking aid.
I would suggesting asking the Financial Aid office directly. Go to: Email Us , select 'Financial Aid - Graduate' and 'Application' and just double-check with them.

It took a week for me to hear back when I sent them a question, so know that you probably won't hear back right away. And if you find anything out, do report back! I'm sure other students would love to know, too.
Okay so I emailed and received a generic reply but I think that you are automatically considered for a merit-based scholarship as long as you complete the full application by the deadline? There are no need-based scholarships available for international students 🙃 🤦‍♀️

Screen Shot 2021-01-23 at 11.13.12.png

When I clicked on the link it just took me to the scholarship website which says this:

Screen Shot 2021-01-23 at 11.15.48.png

Then their list of like external scholarships seems pretty lacking for graduate opportunities and then non-existent for international haha.

Hope that helps!

During the USC SCA info session they briefly went over financial aid/scholarships for incoming students and mentioned merit based scholarships were part of the Slide Room app. I remember one of the PowerPoint slides listed additional USC scholarships for incoming graduate students, some of which were pretty obscure (but hey, money is money, right?).

As for international students, there's this one that USC offers (provided you submitted the Slide Room app in time):

Screen Shot 2021-01-23 at 9.08.31 AM.png

Is everyone enjoying waiting? :) Is it bugging any of you yet or are you doing okay...?

I'm not stressed about USC yet.

This week is hell for me, though, because (a) my DePaul interview is tomorrow and just thinking about it has my heart rate going up about 30 bpm (no joke, I checked), and (b) based on the record of previous applications, LMU should be notifying about interviews by the 31st so I'm agonizing over my inbox knowing that if they don't email me in the next five days, I've most likely been denied.

Ha. Ha. Ha.
toy monkey GIF

I think so!
I was looking at last year's thread and it was around that time!

It's going to be a looooong month 😣
I think so!
I was looking at last year's thread and it was around that time!

It's going to be a looooong month 😣
I too applied for Fall 2021. Screenwriting.

i just emailed them today and asked.

Here is exactly what they said... I forgot to ask about interviews, just in case. Has anyone had one?

Hi Nick,

Decisions will most likely be out in April. Thanks for your inquiry!

Best,

The Writing Office

I too applied for Fall 2021. Screenwriting.

i just emailed them today and asked.

Here is exactly what they said... I forgot to ask about interviews, just in case. Has anyone had one?

Hi Nick,

Decisions will most likely be out in April. Thanks for your inquiry!

Best,

The Writing Office

fairly certain we don’t do interviews for screenwriting. here’s their program description:

“John Wells Division of Writing for Screen & Television review committee places considerable importance on the autobiographical character sketch, story ideas, writing samples, portfolio list and letters of recommendation during the application review process. There are no admission interviews. The committee ensures that all applicants are judged equitably by limiting evaluation to the items listed.”

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back