USC Peter Stark Program Fall 2019 Entry

Has anyone received an email regarding interviews?
According to the interview notification date for the last two years, results should be out soon.
I've been refreshing my inbox about a million times a day :(

still waiting.... :/

has anyone been rejected without an interview?
According to last year's applications quite a lot of people have been rejected without an interview

were they rejected before interview invitations were sent out? (hopefully, this means no news (SO FAR) is good(ish) news?)

people are only officially rejected after final decisions are made around March. i think the only way people know they're out of the running before then is if they never get interviewed. but since it seems like no one has even been contacted yet, i'd say we should be in the clear for right now.

people are only officially rejected after final decisions are made around March. i think the only way people know they're out of the running before then is if they never get interviewed. but since it seems like no one has even been contacted yet, i'd say we should be in the clear for right now.
ah gotcha... is there any word of past applicants getting accepted without interviews? or is it safe to assume no interview=no chance?

Yeah that's what I thought too :)! Yet, according to mcooper's post regarding the reply from the Stark office, interviews start next monday..I can't stop myself from thinking that maybe they already sent out interview invitations but nobody on the site got it. Hopefully they're just a bit behind schedule.
ah gotcha... is there any word of past applicants getting accepted without interviews? or is it safe to assume no interview=no chance?
Try checking past applications on the website. But as far as I know everyone accepted had an interview

Yeah that's what I thought too :)! Yet, according to mcooper's post regarding the reply from the Stark office, interviews start next monday..I can't stop myself from thinking that maybe they already sent out interview invitations but nobody on the site got it. Hopefully they're just a bit behind schedule.

Try checking past applications on the website. But as far as I know everyone accepted had an interview

yeah, that's true, there is a chance no one on the site got it but I think there's always been at least one person who at least gets an interview. so for all of our sakes, i hope they're just a little late.

@Kinz i'm almost sure you have to have an interview to get in. i think they usually interview like 50 people and then cut that in half and those are the people they offer admission to. i guess a handful of the 50 are placed on the waitlist, but they still had an interview so yeah lol.

Yeah, I think it’s more likely that they’re just behind in their application review process, as opposed to no one from the site getting an interview. But, you never know. The interesting thing was, the woman on the phone definitely said “you’ll hear either way”, but that might have just been colloquial speech, and not that we’ll get rejection emails this early.

The woman (unfortunately I don’t remember her name) was very nice, so if someone wanted to call and inquire next week I think that would be entirely acceptable. I know it doesn’t help to overthink it like we all are doing...but fingers crossed!

I’m saw this on another thread on this site - adding here to help everyone prepare for your interview - hopefully they will start contacting next week.

Film School Interview Questions

(More than enough to ponder and could be new ones added.)

• Where are you from?
  • What’s your family like and cultural background?
  • Tell us a little about your background and undergrad major and experience?
  • Where are you working now?
  • Why do you think an MFA at USC will help you?
  • What's a movie you've seen recently that you liked?
  • What do you think makes a good producer?
  • Why are you particularly interested in the Peter Stark 2 year program?
  • What skill set are you hoping to learn?
  • Do you have funding programs available in your country?
  • *****What questions do you have for for us? Important one they will ask this!!
  • Why USC? Why Peter Stark?
  • Why Producing program?
  • What will you do if you don’t get in? Say re-apply!! But also have a good Plan B to talk about.
  • Why do you want to make films/TV shows?
  • What types of films & filmmakers do you like?
  • What kind of films do you want to make?
  • What area do you want to dive right into?
  • Which filmmakers career inspire you?
  • What areas of your skills do you want to improve on most?
  • What are your top 3 favorite films?
  • Name a movie that has had an impact on your life and why?
  • If you had the resources to work on one film/TV project right now what would it be and why?
  • Are you aware how much Peter Stark Program costs? $90k-100k for 2 years plus living expenses. How will you be able to pay for it? Loans? Savings? Parents?
  • Have you applied to other film programs/schools?
  • Why do you want to pursue this field?
  • In the practical situation not everyone will be directing or producing when they get out of film school, what other roles in filmmaking do you feel your skills speak to?
  • Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
  • What kind of movies inspire you to make films?
  • What do you want to get out of film school that you can't get outside working in the film business?
  • Are you prepared for a 2 year program, or is that too long?
  • What projects are you working on right now?
  • What are your weaknesses? ***Be careful. (Don’t say you are late/disorganized, poorly manage time, etc.).
  • Tell us more about your writing sample regarding what does it mean to you and what is it about?
  • Have you ever written anything collaboratively?
  • What are your steps in the revision process?
  • What do you do for enjoyment outside of writing or working?
  • Tell us about the film or portfolio you submitted? Why did you make that film? Submit those particular items in your portfolio or application? What do they reflect about you?
  • Tell us about your undergrad experience and major?
  • Why are you choosing to do an MFA now?
  • Tell us a memorable moment in your life.
  • What are your concerns or questions about the Peter Stark program if you get in?
  • Will you consider cinematography?
  • Film or TV? Then they asked what is your favorite film or show.
  • Advice on the interview from another student: expect the questions you assume (why film school, what films you hope to make, what movies you like, how will you pay, etc.)....My interviewers very thoroughly had read both my essays and had watched both my films (the "surprise" film and the other submission)-- they will most likely ask you questions about things you wrote in your statements. Overall, they're just trying to get to know you and what you're about. They try very hard, they say, to build an ensemble group that meshs well together as a class and contains a variety of voices. My advice is to be yourself and hope that who you are comes across in the questions you answer.
  • The interview included my top five films, my strength and weakness, what did I do until now, pitch a story, where will you be the next ten years...
  • What have you been doing since undergrad?
  • They asked me what were my top 5 films and is there a common thread that pops out to you about thosr top 5?
  • If you could pick one of those top 5 films, would any of them be similar to the types of films you want to make?
  • Pitch a short film idea to us.
  • Tell us a story from your childhood that resonates with you
  • What are you looking to get out of the program?
  • The one question I remembered being asked was how much writing I'd done, mostly to see if I'm serious about it.
  • What's your leadership style?
  • They asked me If I had questions about the program?
  • Did you write or make films at a young age / do you have a specific memory of writing/filming etc as a child?
  • What would you contribute to the classroom setting?
  • What is your greatest weakness?
  • What have you been working on in the past 6 months?
  • What is a story/book that you'd like to adapt to the screen?
  • Have you ever directed actors?
  • A question about my visual sample and personal statement.
  • Any questions you have for us?
  • What sentimental object do you carry in your wallet that is not cash or credit cards? If you don't have a sentimental object in your wallet, what would you have?
  • If you were a character in a film, how would the first scene introduce you that would encapsulate you as a person?
  • The interviewer only asked me two questions, both questions could be related to my personal statement (why producing & why USC..).
  • They were interested in knowing questions about why I want to make films, what area do i want to dive into, what are my favourite films etc. Interview goes by like a friendly chat. At the end they asked me if i had any questions for them and gave me info about the faculty and the courses.
  • Be ready to summarize your personal statement, and answer various questions about it.
  • Tell a story that you have heard over and over growing up (about your yourself, parents, family, etc).
  • Talk about your favorite directors and why.
  • You may have more experience than others in you class, how do you feel about that?
  • You may be asked to highlight something about your city and why?
  • Be prepared to talk about your visual sample.
  • Describe something interesting that has happened to you recently (Have one or two incidents in mind.)
  • What are the challenges you may face once you are at USC?
  • What do I see myself in 5-10 years? (directing, producing? Cinematography, entrepreneur....etc)
#Be Overly Prepared, but be yourself!

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m saw this on another thread on this site - adding here to help everyone prepare for your interview - hopefully they will start contacting next week.

Film School Interview Questions

(More than enough to ponder and could be new ones added.)

• Where are you from?
  • What’s your family like and cultural background?
  • Tell us a little about your background and undergrad major and experience?
  • Where are you working now?
  • Why do you think an MFA at USC will help you?
  • What's a movie you've seen recently that you liked?
  • What do you think makes a good producer?
  • Why are you particularly interested in the Peter Stark 2 year program?
  • What skill set are you hoping to learn?
  • Do you have funding programs available in your country?
  • *****What questions do you have for for us? Important one they will ask this!!
  • Why USC? Why Peter Stark?
  • Why Producing program?
  • What will you do if you don’t get in? Say re-apply!! But also have a good Plan B to talk about.
  • Why do you want to make films/TV shows?
  • What types of films & filmmakers do you like?
  • What kind of films do you want to make?
  • What area do you want to dive right into?
  • Which filmmakers career inspire you?
  • What areas of your skills do you want to improve on most?
  • What are your top 3 favorite films?
  • Name a movie that has had an impact on your life and why?
  • If you had the resources to work on one film/TV project right now what would it be and why?
  • Are you aware how much Peter Stark Program costs? $90k-100k for 2 years plus living expenses. How will you be able to pay for it? Loans? Savings? Parents?
  • Have you applied to other film programs/schools?
  • Why do you want to pursue this field?
  • In the practical situation not everyone will be directing or producing when they get out of film school, what other roles in filmmaking do you feel your skills speak to?
  • Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
  • What kind of movies inspire you to make films?
  • What do you want to get out of film school that you can't get outside working in the film business?
  • Are you prepared for a 2 year program, or is that too long?
  • What projects are you working on right now?
  • What are your weaknesses? ***Be careful. (Don’t say you are late/disorganized, poorly manage time, etc.).
  • Tell us more about your writing sample regarding what does it mean to you and what is it about?
  • Have you ever written anything collaboratively?
  • What are your steps in the revision process?
  • What do you do for enjoyment outside of writing or working?
  • Tell us about the film or portfolio you submitted? Why did you make that film? Submit those particular items in your portfolio or application? What do they reflect about you?
  • Tell us about your undergrad experience and major?
  • Why are you choosing to do an MFA now?
  • Tell us a memorable moment in your life.
  • What are your concerns or questions about the Peter Stark program if you get in?
  • Will you consider cinematography?
  • Film or TV? Then they asked what is your favorite film or show.
  • Advice on the interview from another student: expect the questions you assume (why film school, what films you hope to make, what movies you like, how will you pay, etc.)....My interviewers very thoroughly had read both my essays and had watched both my films (the "surprise" film and the other submission)-- they will most likely ask you questions about things you wrote in your statements. Overall, they're just trying to get to know you and what you're about. They try very hard, they say, to build an ensemble group that meshs well together as a class and contains a variety of voices. My advice is to be yourself and hope that who you are comes across in the questions you answer.
  • The interview included my top five films, my strength and weakness, what did I do until now, pitch a story, where will you be the next ten years...
  • What have you been doing since undergrad?
  • They asked me what were my top 5 films and is there a common thread that pops out to you about thosr top 5?
  • If you could pick one of those top 5 films, would any of them be similar to the types of films you want to make?
  • Pitch a short film idea to us.
  • Tell us a story from your childhood that resonates with you
  • What are you looking to get out of the program?
  • The one question I remembered being asked was how much writing I'd done, mostly to see if I'm serious about it.
  • What's your leadership style?
  • They asked me If I had questions about the program?
  • Did you write or make films at a young age / do you have a specific memory of writing/filming etc as a child?
  • What would you contribute to the classroom setting?
  • What is your greatest weakness?
  • What have you been working on in the past 6 months?
  • What is a story/book that you'd like to adapt to the screen?
  • Have you ever directed actors?
  • A question about my visual sample and personal statement.
  • Any questions you have for us?
  • What sentimental object do you carry in your wallet that is not cash or credit cards? If you don't have a sentimental object in your wallet, what would you have?
  • If you were a character in a film, how would the first scene introduce you that would encapsulate you as a person?
  • The interviewer only asked me two questions, both questions could be related to my personal statement (why producing & why USC..).
  • They were interested in knowing questions about why I want to make films, what area do i want to dive into, what are my favourite films etc. Interview goes by like a friendly chat. At the end they asked me if i had any questions for them and gave me info about the faculty and the courses.
  • Be ready to summarize your personal statement, and answer various questions about it.
  • Tell a story that you have heard over and over growing up (about your yourself, parents, family, etc).
  • Talk about your favorite directors and why.
  • You may have more experience than others in you class, how do you feel about that?
  • You may be asked to highlight something about your city and why?
  • Be prepared to talk about your visual sample.
  • Describe something interesting that has happened to you recently (Have one or two incidents in mind.)
  • What are the challenges you may face once you are at USC?
  • What do I see myself in 5-10 years? (directing, producing? Cinematography, entrepreneur....etc)
#Be Overly Prepared, but be yourself!
Thank you!

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back