USC School of Cinematic Arts MFA Film & TV Production Fall 2020

Chris W

As You Wish
Staff member
They receive a ton of applications. If an application is not up to their requirements it's an easy reason to not consider it. Two applications with similar storytelling chops they'll go with the one that followed their instructions.

addik

Hey guys! How's everyone's application holding up?

I was just wondering if anyone is doing the feature length concept here, and if anyone has an idea on how specific the concept should be? Do we need to be able to discuss the entire plot (say, be able to each major event in each act), or can we generally say what each act covers?

Anyway, we have a couple more days, so I hope we all turn in a good application!

sa96

Hey guys! How's everyone's application holding up?

I was just wondering if anyone is doing the feature length concept here, and if anyone has an idea on how specific the concept should be? Do we need to be able to discuss the entire plot (say, be able to each major event in each act), or can we generally say what each act covers?

Anyway, we have a couple more days, so I hope we all turn in a good application!
I came across an example from previous years and it was pretty much a full plot summary explaining hoe each event in the film led to the next. It only followed the protagonist's story though no side plots or anything.

sa96

Guess who just noticed a typo in their writing sample.... Both Google and many out-loud readings to other people didn't catch it ๐Ÿ™ƒ

addik

Ugh, that's why I never look at my application/portfolio I send them in, I don't want the stress of thinking "oh no, I could have done better." Haha I just want the results to come in and tell me if I'm in or not so I can move on.

Chris W

As You Wish
Staff member
Guess who just noticed a typo in their writing sample.... Both Google and many out-loud readings to other people didn't catch it ๐Ÿ™ƒ
Not the first time. Don't worry. It's been a common issue over the years. I mentioned it in this article:

And don't worry too much... People with typos and mistakes still get in too programs. I remember @BuddernScotch really worrying about it last year and she's at UCLA now.

What's most important is your storytelling chops and potential.

Hey guys! Glad I found this forum. I submitted my application Friday night (just before the deadline) and received confirmation. In my confirmation email it said to expect another email with my 10-digit USC ID within 48-72 hours. Did everyone actually receive their USC ID within that timeframe? I have yet to receive anything.

Thanks and good luck to everyone! :)

It's coming! I was a bit surprised when I got an email letting me know that they added a video-component. There seem to be so many changes from last year:
- new video component
- can add up to 5 references now
- collaboration questions are now non-film situations
Some thoughts on these changes you mention:

1. The new video component likely removes some of the generic legwork that faculty had to do through phone interviews. My belief is this added component will (hopefully) expedite the admissions process by either allowing faculty to whittle it down to fewer more salient questions or to skip the interview altogether.

2. I didn't see any additional references. I still only saw 3.

3. They probably got tired of seeing the same "success/failure" stories of film sets and video projects where everything almost fell apart but finally came through in the end. I know I would get tired by the third or fourth application lol...

Hey guys! Glad I found this forum. I submitted my application Friday night (just before the deadline) and received confirmation. In my confirmation email it said to expect another email with my 10-digit USC ID within 48-72 hours. Did everyone actually receive their USC ID within that timeframe? I have yet to receive anything.

Thanks and good luck to everyone! :)
Never mind, I just got the email. Set up a youSC account too. And now that I see that "Decision Status" link sitting on that page, ugh... this is gonna be a long slog. Lol

justin

I'm also applying to USC! Does anyone know how long the Creative Portfolio List can be? There isn't a minimum or maximum stated on the prompt. So far mine is 3 pages, is that okay?

I'm also applying to USC! Does anyone know how long the Creative Portfolio List can be? There isn't a minimum or maximum stated on the prompt. So far mine is 3 pages, is that okay?
I'd say you're more than fine. You're correct in that they don't specify any length so you're definitely not guilty of "not following directions." 3 pages is quite a lot though, sure makes me feel inadequate lol

justin

I'm listing every single project I've done over the photo, film, and art courses I've taken at my high school for my creative portfolio. Is this recommended or should I just list only the "important" projects?

I'm listing every single project I've done over the photo, film, and art courses I've taken at my high school for my creative portfolio. Is this recommended or should I just list only the "important" projects?
High school? Are you applying to undergrad or grad? This thread is for grad applications, lol

Chris W

As You Wish
Staff member
High school? Are you applying to undergrad or grad? This thread is for grad applications, lol
There's an undergrad Screenwriting thread but I don't think there's a production thread yet.

Chris W

As You Wish
Staff member
Even if he's in high school his question is valid and the grad thread is much more active.

I'd just list anything that is your favorite and anything that you'd show them without hesitation.

Latest Applications

Latest reviews