USC School of Cinematic Arts SCA MFA Film & TV Production Fall 2020

Hey everyone!
I've also applied to MFA Fall 2020 but haven't received the interview request (i hope yet)
Good luck everyone, I believe you all did a great job!!

I was pretty much calm before I've read the thread but now I'm anxious about the interview request o_O

Has anyone else’s video submission not been viewed? Mine’s a private YouTube link so I’m basing this of the number of views but I’m a little surprised since a different school I applied to viewed my application material within week of submitting ??‍♀️

Has anyone else’s video submission not been viewed? Mine’s a private YouTube link so I’m basing this of the number of views but I’m a little surprised since a different school I applied to viewed my application material within week of submitting ??‍♀️

They have until the end of the month and early February to forward their recommendations on to the admissions committee, so I'd expect some of these faculty reviewers procrastinate just like anyone else. It might be odd if we hit mid-February and you still weren't getting views from USC, though.

By the way, NYU looked at mine within days after the application deadline, and USC took a month and a half!

They have until the end of the month and early February to forward their recommendations on to the admissions committee, so I'd expect some of these faculty reviewers procrastinate just like anyone else. It might be odd if we hit mid-February and you still weren't getting views from USC, though.

By the way, NYU looked at mine within days after the application deadline, and USC took a month and a half!
I got a view this weekend! Hopefully it leads to something positive??Thank you for your encouragement! Lately all I’ve been able to do is think about plans incase I don’t get in anywhere so this makes me feel like there’s still a chance!

I also got my interview scheduled this week. I'm
Just had my interview this afternoon. Overall it is not bad. But not as good as I expected haha. The interview is not very formal, more like chatting. The person who interviewed me was really nice and welcoming. But since I am not a native English speaker, I was a little bit nervous when answering some questions that I did not expect to be asked. It is also my first time having a phone interview in English. For those of you who have interview experiences or are English native speakers, just relax and there is really no need to overthink and be anxious about it. Those questions are not tough at all. Most questions are about collaboration and future plan. He also asked me about my previous filmmaking experiences. He did not mention anything specific about my application materials and my portfolio at all. It makes me to wonder if he really look at my application or not. But he did say he was impressed about my application at the end. The interview ended up for about 20 minutes with some application related questions I asked. He answered them all with great patience. He also told me that the results of admission will be sent out during mid February. Good luck everyone! I hope we all get in and be classmates and make films together in fall! XD
I'm not a native English speaker either, so I'm quite nervous about my interview. Hope mine could go as smoothly as yours!

Hi guys! I got an interview request and I couldn't be more elated. It's from a different person the others mentioned in the thread so, heads up, maybe they're sending in another round of interview requests.
Congrats! Be sure to update your application.

Hi guys, for those who got interview requests, did it explicitly say 'interview' in the email?

I got an email about wanting a 'phone call', but the professor didn't use a word 'interview'.
Now wondering if it's an interview or not

Last edited:
I got the interview request yesterday. It was explicitly called an "interview", but also referred to as a "conversation".

I wonder if the professors have a set range of topics they must cover, or if they are free to talk about whatever they want? What would be some popular topics they frequently ask about? I'm trying to prepare for potential questions they'll ask.

Good luck to everyone else!

Hi guys, for those who got interview requests, did it explicitly say 'interview' in the email?

I got an email about wanting a 'phone call', but the professor didn't use a word 'interview'.
Now wondering if it's an interview or not

Hi ljuliette,

My situation is the same. Got an email yesterday for a phone call request, didn't say anything about interview but I think we should be okay. We probably got reviewed by same professor :)

So I had my interview earlier today and it went great, I think! We ended up conversing for almost 40 minutes and I really thought we would only get to talk 30 minutes max. I think I'll just put a summary of what happened in the interview and my insights on it so that maybe it might help someone out here.

It's very interesting how our conversation went, honestly. I did not expect it to meander around from one topic to another. While the faculty member did ask a few things that the other members were asked too (What kind of films/stories I want to do? How can I afford USC? What is my experience in filmmaking?), I was also asked a few other questions about my country and the issues we were facing were also asked (and I was even asked on my opinion on some of these).

Honestly, there's no real way to prepare for the interview, now that I look back to it. I did prepare for the usual questions, but, in the end, it was really just a conversation between a faculty member and an applicant. Maybe the more you think of it that way, maybe you'll feel less pressured heading in to the "interview." Having background not just in film, but also in life (aka being well-read or having many experiences and insights) really do help. So, don't be afraid to share stories and experiences if it's in line with the discussion at hand. At one point, I went "off-script" and told the faculty member that I was interested in exploring storytelling and narrative in video games, and that became a different discussion altogether and the faculty member was even giving me tips on how to start exploring that space if I really wanted to--whether it be outside USC or inside. It's not a class per se, and you're not in USC yet, but the interview is still a great opportunity to learn from a faculty member and to get their insights.

Congrats to those with interviews! I wonder how much longer they’ll be emailing interview requests... I sill haven’t heard anything. :(
In 2018 and 2019 people were offered interview requests as late as 2-11 or 2-12 and were admitted, not to mention admitted folks who were never even interviewed. So timing of interview requests has no correlation to your chances of getting in if that's what you're worried about.

Last edited:
While you're waiting to hear back from your your film programs consider writing reviews with pros and cons to each program you are applying to. It's a great way to weigh the pros and cons of each one to help you decide where to go. It's also a great way for us to improve the rankings on our site.

You can review based on online research and/or a tour. It can be anonymous. You DON'T have to be a current student or alumni to review a school.

See this new article:

How to Write a Film School Review and Why You Should

How to Write a Film School Review and Why You Should

You don’t have to be a current student or an alum to write a review for a film school! Whether you’re an applicant, interested student, faculty member, current student, or alum, we want to hear from you. Are you currently wondering, “Which film schools should I apply to?” One of the most...

Last edited:
I had my interview today! My interviewer was really kind and the interview was very informal. We started by talking about what I have been doing since graduating (I graduated in 2018). We then talked about my application materials (personal statement, writing sample, video option) and then talked about some of my world views that inspired the pieces I submitted. It was all very conversational and the only “interview” type questions she asked was how I would work with someone on a group project who wasn’t pulling their weight and why I want to go to film school. I didn’t get asked questions like why USC or how I’m going to pay. My advice to anyone interviewing is definitely to prep but just be yourself, you are about to have a conversation with someone who is very accomplished. My interviewer also let me know that she doesn’t decide who gets in so this conversation is really for the sake of the professor looking at your application. Good luck to all and feel free to message if you have questions!

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous
  • Florida State University - MFA in Writing
    5.00 star(s)
    Degree: MA/MFA
    Concentration: Screenwriting
    Hidden Gem
    Before I get into the details, it's worth mentioning that I'm in my second year at this program and have really enjoyed my time here. I will be...
    • catmom

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back