USC School of Cinematic Arts SCA MFA Film & TV Production Fall 2020

Hey everyone! I'm new here, and in looking through the thread, it appears that a lot of folks got a call from an interviewer from USC. First off, congrats that you're moving forward (hopefully) in the process! I was just wondering if those who didn't get a call or (god forbid) accidentally missed a possible call, will lose out on the chance to be admitted to the program? I apologize if this causes anxiety for any folks. II've just been feeling some myself, and was looking for some clarification on this. Thanks for your time, and I';m wishing you all the best of luck with your applications!
I think it's just a matter of time when you will be contacted regarding the interview (last year some applicants were receiving requests for an interview even in the middle of March) but if you won't, you may still not worry, because there were also a lot of applicants who were admitted without this interview in the recent years.

You can not also miss a call because you will receive an email first where professor will ask you about the comfortable time for the conversation. So just don't panic! Everything should be fine

So I just got interviewed. Professor were asking a lot of questions about my visual sample - how it was shot and what is my personal connection to it, about what in my opinion can make me a better collaborator (which actually was a tough question because the only answer I came with was that it you should be honest and stay true to the idea of me own project and make sure that people I choose to work with are the right ones from the very beginning). He also asked about the movies I like and what other things I usually watch and what I want to do myself. It's difficult to say whether the conversation will affect positively or negatively because I was pretty nervous and was trying not to stop speaking for some reason. Maybe I just lost a few points dunno

He also said that this interview is just a part of an application and it does not mean that I'm accepted or not. The decisions will come out later and that's it.

Hi guys! I'm not sure if this is cause for alarm, but I just got an incident report from USC Grad Admissions asking if I could turn over my complete MA transcript since what I sent was apparently incomplete because it should reflect my grades until Spring 2019. Only--I stopped taking my MA in Fall 2018 and decided to pursue an MFA instead, and I needed to take a few MA electives anyway because some universities I wanted to apply to require that I take a few of those because of the differences in our education system. In other words, the transcript I sent is complete. Anyway, I called USC and said it's no big deal and I'm in the process of sorting it out.

Anyway, back to my point, it's weird they only noticed that part of my application now (last time I applied to USC, they would send me incident reports as early as one week after I submitted my app), so I'm wondering if this is any indication that they're moving along with admissions or if we'd hear from them soon.

Or this could be USC Grad Admissions noticing it just now and trying to rectify it and nothing else?

Only ~880 more replies to beat the current record USC thread with 1000.

You can do it guys. :)

Hi guys! I'm not sure if this is cause for alarm, but I just got an incident report from USC Grad Admissions asking if I could turn over my complete MA transcript since what I sent was apparently incomplete because it should reflect my grades until Spring 2019. Only--I stopped taking my MA in Fall 2018 and decided to pursue an MFA instead, and I needed to take a few MA electives anyway because some universities I wanted to apply to require that I take a few of those because of the differences in our education system. In other words, the transcript I sent is complete. Anyway, I called USC and said it's no big deal and I'm in the process of sorting it out.

Anyway, back to my point, it's weird they only noticed that part of my application now (last time I applied to USC, they would send me incident reports as early as one week after I submitted my app), so I'm wondering if this is any indication that they're moving along with admissions or if we'd hear from them soon.

Or this could be USC Grad Admissions noticing it just now and trying to rectify it and nothing else?
I think you might be onto something! If they are moving along with the applications it would be inline with the schedule that truffleshuffle’s interviewer mentioned!

Hey guys. I have a specific question regarding the program.

My ultimate goal is very specific and obvious - I want to shoot a feature movies. But not a huge-blockbuster-Hollywood type of movies, but rather a movie that would someone classify as indie. Existential horror or maybe some provocative cinema or both - with visual and narrative experiments etc. In the perfect scenario of my future I'm working with A24 entertainment company on my own feature film - something like Hereditary, Lighthouse or even Lars von Trier-type of cinema.

And in a few articles I found a disturbing information about the USC that it's not actually a place for "future indie filmmakers" and I'm wondering why would someone say that. I heard that AFI is a better place for my goals but I did not apply to it because they require two films and I had only one. But it's not a case - I know that USC is one of the best (if not the best) film schools in the world, so why how it can actually be a bad choice for someone who maybe wants to make "indie" films? I hope that it's not true and, if anyone knows, someone can help me understand what is the actual difference between the programs and why USC sometimes referred to as a place that I would not fit in with my specific goals.

I also wanted to ask for an advise. Yesterday I talked to a professor and he asked me a lot of questions and because English is not my native language I felt like I did not deliver everything I wanted to on a few points. Am interviewer said that I can contact him anytime later to ask smth so I'm wondering if it is worth contacting a professor to briefly deliver some conclusions which I felt I needed to provide on a specific issues that we discussed recently, or it would be even more weird if I'll write to him in a few days after the call trying to clarify smth I said during the interview?

Hey guys. I have a specific question regarding the program.

My ultimate goal is very specific and obvious - I want to shoot a feature movies. But not a huge-blockbuster-Hollywood type of movies, but rather a movie that would someone classify as indie. Existential horror or maybe some provocative cinema or both - with visual and narrative experiments etc. In the perfect scenario of my future I'm working with A24 entertainment company on my own feature film - something like Hereditary, Lighthouse or even Lars von Trier-type of cinema.

And in a few articles I found a disturbing information about the USC that it's not actually a place for "future indie filmmakers" and I'm wondering why would someone say that. I heard that AFI is a better place for my goals but I did not apply to it because they require two films and I had only one. But it's not a case - I know that USC is one of the best (if not the best) film schools in the world, so why how it can actually be a bad choice for someone who maybe wants to make "indie" films? I hope that it's not true and, if anyone knows, someone can help me understand what is the actual difference between the programs and why USC sometimes referred to as a place that I would not fit in with my specific goals.
I obviously couldn't say for sure since I'm not a part of the program, but if you look here I think you'll find plenty of indie filmmakers and documentarians who studied filmmaking at USC. Oh, and if you're into those quality but low-budget horror films definitely look into Blumhouse Productions under Universal Studios. Jason Blum has changed the game.

As for contacting your interviewer, unless it's something that was just totally false or incorrect, I probably would leave it be unless you have a legitimate question about the program. When they say to reach out to them I don't think they really intended it to be an opportunity for a "do-over" for any of the interview questions, but then again if it was just such a bad answer that it's keeping you up at night you might just write them an honest and open email about it just for peace of mind. 🤷‍♂️ But if it's a case of trying to make a 96% perfect answer into a 100% perfect answer it might just annoy them. 😅

I also wanted to ask for an advise. Yesterday I talked to a professor and he asked me a lot of questions and because English is not my native language I felt like I did not deliver everything I wanted to on a few points. Am interviewer said that I can contact him anytime later to ask smth so I'm wondering if it is worth contacting a professor to briefly deliver some conclusions which I felt I needed to provide on a specific issues that we discussed recently, or it would be even more weird if I'll write to him in a few days after the call trying to clarify smth I said during the interview?

I can't speak to academic interviews but I wouldn't think it's weird to clarify some answers after the fact. I've hired people and interviewed people and been interviewed in professional settings and I don't think it'd be strange to write back and say something like:

"Professor X,

It was great speaking with you the other day. I'm very intrigued by what you said about USC's XXXX and look forward to exploring my options throughout this process.

As English isn't my first language, I wanted to ensure I correctly communicated a few points.
I think it's important that you fully understand XXXXX and that XXXXXX shaped my view of XXXX (or whatever).

Thanks again for taking the time to talk with me!"

Now, I have read about how grad school admission folks don't like to hear from applicants unless they reach out first, I don't think this would be harmful to your chances. At best, in my opinion, it clarifies points that needed clarification and at worst it's a mild nuisance from an over-eager student. There are worse things.

Just my two cents.

How are you all keeping busy? All I can find myself thinking about is my application/interview (and I’m supposed to be on vacation!).

Would love some advice if anyone has it for staying busy and not being so anxious about results...

Hi everyone!

I just woke up to an interview request from one of the faculty members! The interview is scheduled for this afternoon so I will keep you all updated! And thanks to everyone who has already posted about their interview, such helpful information!

Good luck, Ep317!

How are you all keeping busy? All I can find myself thinking about is my application/interview (and I’m supposed to be on vacation!).

Would love some advice if anyone has it for staying busy and not being so anxious about results...

Well, mostly working :/ Luckily I have a few projects in the pipeline so I am constantly in the move. I'm also sending out applications to a few other programs and schools out there. There are pretty slow days when I just can't stop thinking about USC though, and I notice I wake up an hour earlier than the usual just because I keep checking my email for updates.

At least today had The Good Place finale so I've been wrapping my head around that the whole day lol.

I can't speak to academic interviews but I wouldn't think it's weird to clarify some answers after the fact. I've hired people and interviewed people and been interviewed in professional settings and I don't think it'd be strange to write back and say something like:

"Professor X,

It was great speaking with you the other day. I'm very intrigued by what you said about USC's XXXX and look forward to exploring my options throughout this process.

As English isn't my first language, I wanted to ensure I correctly communicated a few points.
I think it's important that you fully understand XXXXX and that XXXXXX shaped my view of XXXX (or whatever).

Thanks again for taking the time to talk with me!"

Now, I have read about how grad school admission folks don't like to hear from applicants unless they reach out first, I don't think this would be harmful to your chances. At best, in my opinion, it clarifies points that needed clarification and at worst it's a mild nuisance from an over-eager student. There are worse things.

Just my two cents.
Sounds reasonable. Thanks

I obviously couldn't say for sure since I'm not a part of the program, but if you look here I think you'll find plenty of indie filmmakers and documentarians who studied filmmaking at USC. Oh, and if you're into those quality but low-budget horror films definitely look into Blumhouse Productions under Universal Studios. Jason Blum has changed the game.

As for contacting your interviewer, unless it's something that was just totally false or incorrect, I probably would leave it be unless you have a legitimate question about the program. When they say to reach out to them I don't think they really intended it to be an opportunity for a "do-over" for any of the interview questions, but then again if it was just such a bad answer that it's keeping you up at night you might just write them an honest and open email about it just for peace of mind. 🤷‍♂️ But if it's a case of trying to make a 96% perfect answer into a 100% perfect answer it might just annoy them. 😅
Jason Blum is amazing. Whiplash is one of my favourite films of all time. Will check. Thank you

Good luck, Ep317!

Well, mostly working :/ Luckily I have a few projects in the pipeline so I am constantly in the move. I'm also sending out applications to a few other programs and schools out there. There are pretty slow days when I just can't stop thinking about USC though, and I notice I wake up an hour earlier than the usual just because I keep checking my email for updates.

At least today had The Good Place finale so I've been wrapping my head around that the whole day lol.
What schools and programs are you taking into consideration? I thought all deadlines are already expired. Thinking about applying somewhere else just for an alternative

I thought all deadlines are already expired.
There's a couple that are still coming up.

Film School MFA Application Deadlines (Updated for Fall 2023)

Film School MFA Application Deadlines (Updated for Fall 2023)

Wondering when you need to get that film school application in? Below is a list of all current graduate film school deadlines as of September 2022. Be sure to log your application with our Application Database after you've applied so we can improve our acceptance statistics for each film...

What schools and programs are you taking into consideration? I thought all deadlines are already expired. Thinking about applying somewhere else just for an alternative

I actually sent an application to La Femis in Paris and I'm going to take an exam in a few weeks time so I'm pretty... nervous about that lol. I'm reviewing my French and going through their guidelines on the exam just to prepare. I also thought of applying to Concordia University's MFA Studio Arts program, but realized that their program isn't for me.

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back