USC School of Cinematic Arts MFA Screenwriting Fall 2020

dorkydiana

also...is it bad that i want to get accepted only to reject their offer...LOL f%$! that school
3915564A-AEFA-41A5-9D00-FB8E6456AA7C.jpeg

JADELIN

The admissions for grad maybe include "admitted off waitlist"? Ahhhhh I'm so confused... why don't they just tell us directly?!?!?! 😣 "All the acceptances have been sent out" or "only rejections will be sent out" or anything...

Last edited:

JADELIN

Ok I think their admissions are mostly for the waitlisted (cuz they mentioned the exact date), and for us, the rejections are coming... I'm ready to reapply. 👍

Write2Eat

Yes, as @dorkydiana said, they admit 32 students. All of the people accepted may not post here and a large selection of the accepted here have raised their hand so there aren't that many slots left anyway. Even if they do 32 accepted and 32 waitlist, the chances all 64 would decline is slim to none by my back of the envelope math written with a pencil after I licked the lead tip.

Let's turn our attention to tightening up our writing/scenes/scripts and reapplying next year.

The admissions for grad maybe include "admitted off waitlist"? Ahhhhh I'm so confused... why don't they just tell us directly?!?!?! 😣 "All the acceptances have been sent out" or "only rejections will be sent out" or anything...

Per the waitlist, that's open until August in case anyone changes their mind, so no guarantees that they'll know you're off the waitlist by April.

Screenwriting? That's awesome!!😉

Yes, screenwriting. She and I applied for the same four schools together: LMU, USC, UCLA, and NYU. So far she has gotten into NYU and LMU and waitlisted for USC. It's her building, I'm just paying rent.

j18

Guys, I got a scholarship! I feel super grateful, but even with the scholarship, as an international student, it's impossible for me to afford it :(
I'm going to study my options, do you know if it's possible to keep my spot for next year? Have you ever heard of someone who has done that? I wish I could make a loan and go, but as a Brazilian, it's impossible to make that big of a loan without a co-signer. Still, it's a huge validation, and I feel very blessed... Worst case scenario, I'll try to get a Fulbright scholarship and reapply. Maybe the stars will align and I'll get accepted again ❤

sarahkwUT

Contributor
Staff member
FilmSchool.org Writer
Guys, I got a scholarship! I feel super grateful, but even with the scholarship, as an international student, it's impossible for me to afford it :(
I'm going to study my options, do you know if it's possible to keep my spot for next year? Have you ever heard of someone who has done that? I wish I could make a loan and go, but as a Brazilian, it's impossible to make that big of a loan without a co-signer. Still, it's a huge validation, and I feel very blessed... Worst case scenario, I'll try to get a Fulbright scholarship and reapply. Maybe the stars will align and I'll get accepted again ❤

Big congratulations!!

KatieeveD

Congratulations!! How did you find out? Did they email you?

j18

Congratulations!! How did you find out? Did they email you?
Yes! I received an email yesterday ❤ I really don't know what to do... I feel honored, and I don't want to disappoint them (maybe I'm weird lol), but I can only borrow 50k without a co-signer. I'll give them a call on Monday and explain my situation. If I could make a loan that big, I would totally do it. I hope I can keep my spot for next year, so I can have some time to figure things out. Hopefully the best will happen and I'll find a way 🙏

Last edited:

beejee

Supporter
Hey guys! Just a sad lurker over here - I've heard nothing from USC either way. I'm assuming it's a rejection, but has anybody else heard anything? Trying to decide if I should just reach out now to get the final decision or wait until the 31st.

Jalenyj

So the Chair for screenwriting called me just to check in etc. He explained some of the process, as far as acceptances go although it's info we've already heard. My main concern while on the line was scholarships (which he said waiting for the virtual admitted students day would be far more helpful to answering my specific questions about money etc.) However in regards to acceptances he did say the ball has been a bit dropped this year esp. given the recent covid circumstances. It sounds to me-for those of you still holding out-that there is a good chance a few more acceptances will go out, but don't quote me on that. Although to be quite frank, unless your ultra rich the scholarship situation should probably be a bit more concerning.

Jalenyj

Yes! I received an email yesterday ❤ I really don't know what to do... I feel honored, and I don't want to disappoint them (maybe I'm weird lol), but I can only borrow 50k without a co-signer. I'll give them a call on Monday and explain my situation. If I could make a loan that big, I would totally do it. I hope I can keep my spot for next year, so I can have some time to figure things out. Hopefully the best will happen and I'll find a way 🙏
If you don't mind me asking, which scholarship organization was it? Was it one of the ones we could apply for when we turned in our application? Like Shiram or Lucas? Thanks again for the heads up! E parabens novamente de um brasileiro parcial para outro!

Last edited:

fehab77

Hey guys! Just a sad lurker over here - I've heard nothing from USC either way. I'm assuming it's a rejection, but has anybody else heard anything? Trying to decide if I should just reach out now to get the final decision or wait until the 31st.
I don't think they're allowed to say if you've been accepted / waitlisted / rejected if you call them. I emailed the writing department and they told me that all decisions - key word "decisions" unspecified - will come out by April 15th. Hope that helps. I haven't heard anything either.

Also waiting and also believe that at this point, it’s likely a rejection. Still keeping hope alive but I’ve already accepted LMU’s offer. Hopefully USC gives some kind of word before April 8 before I plunk down the $1k deposit at LMU.

Latest Classifieds

Latest Applications

Latest reviews