USC School of Cinematic Arts MFA Screenwriting Fall 2020

While you're waiting to hear back from your your film programs consider writing reviews with pros and cons to each program you are applying to. It's a great way to weigh the pros and cons of each one to help you decide where to go. It's also a great way for us to improve the rankings on our site.

You can review based on online research and/or a tour. It can be anonymous. You DON'T have to be a current student or alumni to review a school.

See this new article:

How to Write a Film School Review and Why You Should

How to Write a Film School Review and Why You Should

You don’t have to be a current student or an alum to write a review for a film school! Whether you’re an applicant, interested student, faculty member, current student, or alum, we want to hear from you. Are you currently wondering, “Which film schools should I apply to?” One of the most...

Last edited:
It was strange. When I called the financial aid office he asked for my ID, and when I told him he said “you don’t need to worry about that until enrollment.” I didn’t want to ask what that meant, so I was like, I don’t have to do anything? And he was like no, it’s not urgent.

It was strange. When I called the financial aid office he asked for my ID, and when I told him he said “you don’t need to worry about that until enrollment.” I didn’t want to ask what that meant, so I was like, I don’t have to do anything? And he was like no, it’s not urgent.
::whispers:: I wonder if this means you got in? ?

::whispers:: I wonder if this means you got in? ?

I truly have no idea. I’ve been asking everyone I know to analyze the situation. I don’t wanna get my hopes up, since this is my second time applying and I was crushed last year :( I’m just trying to understand why he says “enrollment” over “when you get accepted.” He only said that once he saw my name/ID.

I truly have no idea. I’ve been asking everyone I know to analyze the situation. I don’t wanna get my hopes up, since this is my second time applying and I was crushed last year :( I’m just trying to understand why he says “enrollment” over “when you get accepted.” He only said that once he saw my name/ID.
It's hard to manage expectations. I keep trying to just not think about it and then I come here and read threads from past years...for the second or third time. So very helpful and productive haha

There was a solid amount of time, maybe six weeks or so, where I genuinely put grad school in the back of my brain and focused on the holidays and friends and my job. However, now that this site is lit up again with interviews and stress... I'm fully back in panic mode. AH! So soon yet so long to go...

There was a solid amount of time, maybe six weeks or so, where I genuinely put grad school in the back of my brain and focused on the holidays and friends and my job. However, now that this site is lit up again with interviews and stress... I'm fully back in panic mode. AH! So soon yet so long to go...
Maybe it's a good thing that I honestly have no clue when USC notifications go out? Last year it was late February, but that doesn't seem to be typical. It'll hit you (or not ?) when you least expect it.

Last edited:
Hey everyone! I was just wondering if y'all know if there are interviews involved with this process? I was looking through the Film and TV production thread and a lot of folks were called by professors from USC. Is that something y'all have experienced as applicants for the screenwriting program? And, if we accidentally miss/don't get the call, should we consider ourselves out of consideration for the program? I would appreciate any help/advice/information you could provide on this. Also, I'm wishing you all the best of luck with your applications! Thanks for your time.

Hey everyone! I was just wondering if y'all know if there are interviews involved with this process? I was looking through the Film and TV production thread and a lot of folks were called by professors from USC. Is that something y'all have experienced as applicants for the screenwriting program? And, if we accidentally miss/don't get the call, should we consider ourselves out of consideration for the program? I would appreciate any help/advice/information you could provide on this. Also, I'm wishing you all the best of luck with your applications! Thanks for your time.
USC does not do interviews for the Screenwriting MFA. They base the decision on the writing you submitted. So don't stress about getting a call. From the website...
"John Wells Division of Writing for Screen & Television review committee places considerable importance on the autobiographical character sketch, story ideas, writing samples, portfolio list and letters of recommendation during the application review process. There are no admission interviews. The committee ensures that all applicants are judged equitably by limiting evaluation to the items listed."

So, how's everyone coping with the wait?? I'm going absolutely mad. Trying desperately to keep doing dissertation work and keep my mind off of it!

I was pretty good with not obsessing over it until after the New Year. Now I might check for application status updates every day or two, just in case. I've had a couple of interviews with other schools and my full-time job and coaching business are both keeping me busy, so there's that. I just want to rip the USC bandaid off, one way or another. This waiting... If anyone is familiar with the Enneagram, I'm a Type 3 and plans are my favorite. Not knowing where I'm going to school (if I'm going to school? I refuse to believe that though...) means not knowing where I'm going to live in a few months which really helps when you're planning moving across the country.

Whew. My anxiety just came out - so much unknown!

So, how's everyone coping with the wait?? I'm going absolutely mad. Trying desperately to keep doing dissertation work and keep my mind off of it!
Yeah, you're not the only one struggling with the wait. I tend to worry though. I'm semi-relieved that decisions will be mostly out by the end of the month. It's also a relief that February is the shortest month.

I am stressed about it for some of the same reasons @sarahkwUT mentioned. Between my main gig, my side gig, my performing gigs and writing scripts, I have little time to focus on it and yet, I am focused on it. I will love to have an answer so I can make a plan, one way or the other.

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back