USC School of Cinematic Arts SCA MFA Film & TV Production Fall 2020

I wrote my personal statement in the form of an imaginary interview between myself and a newscaster talking about one of my short films; figured it would be more interesting to read than a regular essay. Do you think using an unconventional format will hurt or help my chances at admission?
If an untraditional format elicits an emotional response and serves a genuine artistic purpose (not a gimmicky one) I think it can be quite effective. In fact the essay that I was admitted to USC on was quite far from a traditional format.

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
BU
@USCSCAAlumni/Faculty has generously agreed to be interview by FilmSchool.org for an article sometime next week.

Do you have any questions that you would like us to ask them? Post your questions in this thread:

Of course you can also ask them here as well. :)

Thanks everyone!

addik

Supporting Member+
USC
So someone posted having heard results from MA Cinema Studies so I'm guessing we might get results for MFA Film Production soon too?

truffleshuffle

Supporting Member
NYU
USC
So someone posted having heard results from MA Cinema Studies so I'm guessing we might get results for MFA Film Production soon too?
Perhaps. I'm just telling myself it's next week so I won't go nuts. But the only MA Cinema Studies thing I see is someone without any posts updated their application to waitlisted. Is that what you're referring to?

sa96

After hearing USCSCAAlumni/Faculty explain the uncertainty of when admissions decisions come out, my anxiety simmered down quite a bit. With so many people who have to review things, I understand why it could take until March to get decisions out.

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
BU
@USCSCAAlumni/Faculty has generously agreed to be interview by FilmSchool.org for an article sometime next week.

Do you have any questions that you would like us to ask them? Post your questions in this thread:

Of course you can also ask them here as well. :)

Thanks everyone!
Probably going to finalize out list of questions on Monday so please don't forget to chime in.

addik

Supporting Member+
USC
Last edited:

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
BU
Hey guys! Long time lurker here and I am really grateful for the information I've gotten here. I had an interview with USC about a month ago, and am waiting as anxiously as y'all are. During this intolerable process a lot of self-doubting is happening in my head. Among them I wanted to ask you guys: 1. Have you written a thank-you note to your interviewer? Would it do harm to your application it you didn't? 2. Have you guys follow-up with the professor after the interview? Are we supposed to?

Thank you guys very much and fingers-crossed for all of us!

addik

Supporting Member+
USC
Hello there! With you on the anxiously waiting bit, now especially since my big project had just concluded and this is my first day technically doing nothing but laze around all-day!

1. I didn't write a thank-you note, but I did thank my faculty member when she contacted me and I did thank her for taking the time to chat with me during the interview. I don't think it would harm you if you didn't, honestly.

2. I haven't followed up with my professor and while some of us here were told to reach out to them if we had any questions, I don't think it's required we send them an email.

truffleshuffle

Supporting Member
NYU
USC
I think interviews for an MFA program of this scale work a lot differently than interviews for a job, where a thank you follow-up is a common courtesy. At the interview stage they're working through sheer numbers and probably don't want to hear from you unless you need something specific answered. I think you are A-OK. Also, if your interviewer already did interviews a month ago, it's probably too late to intervene anyways because chances are he/she already forwarded on their recommendations to the larger admissions committee.

OzymandiasVII

Supporting Member
USC
Hey guys! Long time lurker here and I am really grateful for the information I've gotten here. I had an interview with USC about a month ago, and am waiting as anxiously as y'all are. During this intolerable process a lot of self-doubting is happening in my head. Among them I wanted to ask you guys: 1. Have you written a thank-you note to your interviewer? Would it do harm to your application it you didn't? 2. Have you guys follow-up with the professor after the interview? Are we supposed to?

Thank you guys very much and fingers-crossed for all of us!
Hey! Do you remember who interviewed you? What did professor ask?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Applications

Latest reviews