USC School of Cinematic Arts SCA MFA Film & TV Production Fall 2020

addik

Supporting Member+
USC
Do you guys think the quarantine will be over by the end of the summer or by December? I keep hearing rumors that we might be like this till December 😣
I don't want to sound Trumpian (lol), but I don't think a full-blown lockdown until December (like what we have right now in the Philippines) is feasible. At they very least, they might loosen quarantine in a few months' time but I they might still keep schools closed. I know everyone is looking for a vaccine, but I think another question we should ask if we find a viable treatment to Covid. If we do, we might return to a sense of normalcy and the quarantine might be over sooner than we think it would. But that's just me thinking wishfully, I think.

For me though, the more worrying thing about Covid (aside from loved ones contracting it, that is) is the effects it might have in the industry ). There will be some big changes for sure.

I don't want to sound Trumpian (lol), but I don't think a full-blown lockdown until December (like what we have right now in the Philippines) is feasible. At they very least, they might loosen quarantine in a few months' time but I they might still keep schools closed. I know everyone is looking for a vaccine, but I think another question we should ask if we find a viable treatment to Covid. If we do, we might return to a sense of normalcy and the quarantine might be over sooner than we think it would. But that's just me thinking wishfully, I think.

For me though, the more worrying thing about Covid (aside from loved ones contracting it, that is) is the effects it might have in the industry ). There will be some big changes for sure.
Isn't it true that China has found a vaccine, but the US pharmaceutical industry is blocking it because they want to make a profit off of it....or was that just a fever dream of mine?

itsnoteasybeinggreen

Supporting Member
CalArts
USC

I'm really hoping that they will address a lot of these questions during the accepted students event tomorrow. I'm sure they'll tell us what they know but they likely won't know too much.
I agree, there's no way a total lockdown until December is feasible for anyone. Another option for them is to delay the start of next year's semesters. I had an all-staff meeting with the cinema I work for today (in the suburbs of NYC near where COVID-19 ground zero was for NY) and they said that the latest absolute worst-case-scenario is to open in September. I don't know what that means or where they're getting that analysis from but I don't think they're suggesting that optimistically. Hope everyone is staying healthy and safe :)

itsnoteasybeinggreen

Supporting Member
CalArts
USC
Isn't it true that China has found a vaccine, but the US pharmaceutical industry is blocking it because they want to make a profit off of it....or was that just a fever dream of mine?
I think there are parts of that that are probably true but I don't think vaccines take less than a year to produce successfully. Vaccines that aren't tested properly can have fatalities of their own. Though, obviously I'm not even close to an expert. All I know is that the US needs medicare for all and not medicare tied to employment 😎

I think there are parts of that that are probably true but I don't think vaccines take less than a year to produce successfully. Vaccines that aren't tested properly can have fatalities of their own. Though, obviously I'm not even close to an expert. All I know is that the US needs medicare for all and not medicare tied to employment 😎
Right?! And some damn paid leave, waive late fees on bills, and tuition refunds. It's funny how these m/billion dollar companies are filing for bankruptcy and begging for bailouts, yet ordinary citizens are expected to starve and have been "prepared" with savings.

addik

Supporting Member+
USC
IIRC, China doesn't necessarily have a vaccine yet but they did find an effective treatment (which IIRC, is a Japanese medicine), but like all treatments, it still needs to be tested and that will still take time. As for vaccines, there are many labs that are doing clinical trials of possible vaccines, but we're still far off from an actual vaccine.

I can't tell you how much I wish for all of this to be solved by the end of summer because I'm so close to a psychotic break from being stuck in my house.
Haha I can totally relate to this. My brother and I moved back in at my mom's one-bedroom apartment (which is just a 5-minute walk from where I live, so it's not too far) so we could watch each other out. We've been holed up here for weeks now, and the building's admin is very strict with us walking around the compound the apartment is in. We're losing our minds here! Haha, that said what calms me down is just playing video games (City: Skylines, Stardew Valley). I actually just quit my regular freelancing job here in the Philippines before the Covid outbreak (at the back of my mind, I was already expecting work to be affected by it and since I was already sure about going to LA for USC, there was no point clinging on to it), so all I do is just wait for all this to pass over.

It seems you guys are in the US, so I'm hoping you guys stay safe. I do hope the worst is behind all of us, but we never really know now, do we?

IIRC, China doesn't necessarily have a vaccine yet but they did find an effective treatment (which IIRC, is a Japanese medicine), but like all treatments, it still needs to be tested and that will still take time. As for vaccines, there are many labs that are doing clinical trials of possible vaccines, but we're still far off from an actual vaccine.

Haha I can totally relate to this. My brother and I moved back in at my mom's one-bedroom apartment (which is just a 5-minute walk from where I live, so it's not too far) so we could watch each other out. We've been holed up here for weeks now, and the building's admin is very strict with us walking around the compound the apartment is in. We're losing our minds here! Haha, that said what calms me down is just playing video games (City: Skylines, Stardew Valley). I actually just quit my regular freelancing job here in the Philippines before the Covid outbreak (at the back of my mind, I was already expecting work to be affected by it and since I was already sure about going to LA for USC, there was no point clinging on to it), so all I do is just wait for all this to pass over.

It seems you guys are in the US, so I'm hoping you guys stay safe. I do hope the worst is behind all of us, but we never really know now, do we?
Omg! Well, I commend you for having kept your sanity this long! Being with that many people in such a small space is tough, and more so if you can't leave for walks 😣 The only thing keeping me sane at this point is movies and poptropica lmao.

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
BU
Do you guys think the quarantine will be over by the end of the summer or by December? I keep hearing rumors that we might be like this till December 😣
We're going to be in a mess until the vaccine is available which will be in 12 months from whenever they started.

If you look at the 1918 pandemic it spiked again big time in the fall when they relaxed the extreme measures. It could happen again if we relax again.

I don't want to be Debbie Downer but I'm not sure at all what next year will look like for higher education. I can see it working fine for Screenwriting peeps but I don't know about production.

Is anyone else having trouble getting into the zoom meeting for admitted students day? I have my name changed the way they asked but I still can't access the meeting.

addik

Supporting Member+
USC
Hi guys! Zoom meeting just got concluded and I'm now even more stoked to start the semester (and yeah, hopefully the world will be a lot healthier by then).

To anyone who didn't make it and is wondering about the Covid-19 situation: apparently they'll take deferral (due to Covid-19-related issues) on a case-to-case basis, but you generally can't defer your slot to another semester. No concrete plan has been made regarding fall, but an idea floated by Barnett is that we start taking theory classes first online, and start production once the pandemic has died down.

In any case, I'm so happy that I finally got to meet some/all of you and I can't wait to work with you guys!

N Taka

Hi,
I am an international Student and got waitlisted. I am just curious whoever got waitlisted, all we can do is just wait until August? I got another email that I have to submit my financial documents and I have submitted my bank balance and Confidential Statement. Do you guys know if there is any other documents that I need to submit.....? Im bit worried about this waitlist process things...haha

addik

Supporting Member+
USC
Hi,
I am an international Student and got waitlisted. I am just curious whoever got waitlisted, all we can do is just wait until August? I got another email that I have to submit my financial documents and I have submitted my bank balance and Confidential Statement. Do you guys know if there is any other documents that I need to submit.....? Im bit worried about this waitlist process things...haha
Yeah, from what I gathered from past threads, it really is a waiting game. Fortunately, for International Students, I think the cut-off time is earlier (I think June?) just to make way for your visa application, so if you don't make it out of waitlist by then, you should be a shoe-in for Spring. I think domestic students can still make it out of the waitlist as late as August 21.

OzymandiasVII

Supporting Member
USC
Hi guys! Zoom meeting just got concluded and I'm now even more stoked to start the semester (and yeah, hopefully the world will be a lot healthier by then).

To anyone who didn't make it and is wondering about the Covid-19 situation: apparently they'll take deferral (due to Covid-19-related issues) on a case-to-case basis, but you generally can't defer your slot to another semester. No concrete plan has been made regarding fall, but an idea floated by Barnett is that we start taking theory classes first online, and start production once the pandemic has died down.

In any case, I'm so happy that I finally got to meet some/all of you and I can't wait to work with you guys!
Really enjoyed the meeting. Was very happy to see everyone at least sitting in those small squares. Thrilled to meet you all in person now guys

Ep317

Has anyone received an e-mail regarding the facebook group for admitted students? During the online session yesterday they said they’d send out another e-mail in the afternoon but I still haven’t received anything so I was wondering if it’s just me or no one has received it yet

truffleshuffle

NYU
USC
Has anyone received an e-mail regarding the facebook group for admitted students? During the online session yesterday they said they’d send out another e-mail in the afternoon but I still haven’t received anything so I was wondering if it’s just me or no one has received it yet
I don't remember them saying they would send another Facebook group invite for Fall 2020, but maybe I just missed it. I know Susan said that waitlisted folks would be able to join the group once they're moved off the waitlist, otherwise they will be invited to the Spring 2021 Facebook group when it's created at a later date.

Ep317

I don't remember them saying they would send another Facebook group invite for Fall 2020, but maybe I just missed it. I know Susan said that waitlisted folks would be able to join the group once they're moved off the waitlist, otherwise they will be invited to the Spring 2021 Facebook group when it's created at a later date.
She said it in the chat, but there was a lot going on in there so hard to spot it ahah

Also, for those of you who missed the online session, they said that the biggest scholarships have already been awarded however, there are still a few that will be send out throughout the upcoming week.

Latest Classifieds

Featured Classifieds

Latest Applications

Latest reviews