USC School of Cinematic Arts SCA MFA Film & TV Production Fall 2020

Hey guys! How's everyone's application holding up?

I was just wondering if anyone is doing the feature length concept here, and if anyone has an idea on how specific the concept should be? Do we need to be able to discuss the entire plot (say, be able to each major event in each act), or can we generally say what each act covers?

Anyway, we have a couple more days, so I hope we all turn in a good application!

Hey guys! How's everyone's application holding up?

I was just wondering if anyone is doing the feature length concept here, and if anyone has an idea on how specific the concept should be? Do we need to be able to discuss the entire plot (say, be able to each major event in each act), or can we generally say what each act covers?

Anyway, we have a couple more days, so I hope we all turn in a good application!

I came across an example from previous years and it was pretty much a full plot summary explaining hoe each event in the film led to the next. It only followed the protagonist's story though no side plots or anything.

Ugh, that's why I never look at my application/portfolio I send them in, I don't want the stress of thinking "oh no, I could have done better." Haha I just want the results to come in and tell me if I'm in or not so I can move on.

Guess who just noticed a typo in their writing sample.... Both Google and many out-loud readings to other people didn't catch it ?
Not the first time. Don't worry. It's been a common issue over the years. I mentioned it in this article:

And don't worry too much... People with typos and mistakes still get in too programs. I remember @BuddernScotch really worrying about it last year and she's at UCLA now.

What's most important is your storytelling chops and potential.

Hey guys! Glad I found this forum. I submitted my application Friday night (just before the deadline) and received confirmation. In my confirmation email it said to expect another email with my 10-digit USC ID within 48-72 hours. Did everyone actually receive their USC ID within that timeframe? I have yet to receive anything.

Thanks and good luck to everyone! :)

It's coming! I was a bit surprised when I got an email letting me know that they added a video-component. There seem to be so many changes from last year:
- new video component
- can add up to 5 references now
- collaboration questions are now non-film situations

Some thoughts on these changes you mention:

1. The new video component likely removes some of the generic legwork that faculty had to do through phone interviews. My belief is this added component will (hopefully) expedite the admissions process by either allowing faculty to whittle it down to fewer more salient questions or to skip the interview altogether.

2. I didn't see any additional references. I still only saw 3.

3. They probably got tired of seeing the same "success/failure" stories of film sets and video projects where everything almost fell apart but finally came through in the end. I know I would get tired by the third or fourth application lol...

Hey guys! Glad I found this forum. I submitted my application Friday night (just before the deadline) and received confirmation. In my confirmation email it said to expect another email with my 10-digit USC ID within 48-72 hours. Did everyone actually receive their USC ID within that timeframe? I have yet to receive anything.

Thanks and good luck to everyone! :)

Never mind, I just got the email. Set up a youSC account too. And now that I see that "Decision Status" link sitting on that page, ugh... this is gonna be a long slog. Lol

I'm also applying to USC! Does anyone know how long the Creative Portfolio List can be? There isn't a minimum or maximum stated on the prompt. So far mine is 3 pages, is that okay?

I'm also applying to USC! Does anyone know how long the Creative Portfolio List can be? There isn't a minimum or maximum stated on the prompt. So far mine is 3 pages, is that okay?

I'd say you're more than fine. You're correct in that they don't specify any length so you're definitely not guilty of "not following directions." 3 pages is quite a lot though, sure makes me feel inadequate lol

I'm listing every single project I've done over the photo, film, and art courses I've taken at my high school for my creative portfolio. Is this recommended or should I just list only the "important" projects?

I'm listing every single project I've done over the photo, film, and art courses I've taken at my high school for my creative portfolio. Is this recommended or should I just list only the "important" projects?

High school? Are you applying to undergrad or grad? This thread is for grad applications, lol

High school? Are you applying to undergrad or grad? This thread is for grad applications, lol
There's an undergrad Screenwriting thread but I don't think there's a production thread yet.

Even if he's in high school his question is valid and the grad thread is much more active.

I'd just list anything that is your favorite and anything that you'd show them without hesitation.

While everyone is waiting for more info PLEASE take a moment to review the program on our site as an APPLICANT: (it can be anonymous)

List your pros and cons and why you applied to this program. If you can, please also review all of the other programs that you applied to on the site. It will help others A TON. :)

You also assign start ratings to:
  • Alumni
  • Campus
  • Career Assistance
  • Equipment
  • Coursework
  • Professors
  • Financial Aid & Scholarships
You can review a film school as an:
  • Alumni
  • Current Student
  • Admitted Applicant
  • Current Applicant
  • Rejected Applicant
  • Official Tour
  • Unofficial Tour
  • Interview
Thank you! It'll be a HUGE help to the site and fellow applicants. :)

Last edited:
Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous
  • Florida State University - MFA in Writing
    5.00 star(s)
    Degree: MA/MFA
    Concentration: Screenwriting
    Hidden Gem
    Before I get into the details, it's worth mentioning that I'm in my second year at this program and have really enjoyed my time here. I will be...
    • catmom

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back