USC School of Cinematic Arts SCA MFA Film & TV Production Fall 2020

Thank you for your suggestions! It is really helpful! Really appreciated!
I have basically no production experience but I have a lot of creative experience and film studies experience. So I bought a camera and some basic equipment the summer before the application was due and I just started getting practice where I could. I wrote a 5min screenplay and then shot it with some theater students at my college. They were happy to act in it too. Absolutely no budget besides the initial cost for my equipment (tripod, lights, camera, lens, etc). Oh! And a lot of time spent learning on YouTube and in Facebook groups.

Thank you for your suggestions! It is really helpful! Really appreciated!
I was waitlisted but I just want to say that my film was a little different than what others are saying and I think that goes to show that the formula is hard to pin down. I submitted a 16mm film that I made as a final project in a course in college. It's kind of experimental and kind of documentary - it's a little weird and probably not the best film to submit to every school but my mentality was that if the evaluators didn't like what I had to say then I probably shouldn't attend that school. I also focused primarily on my personal statement and from what I've heard, USC weighs the statement the most. I'm not sure if that helps, I just wanted to say that every student comes in with different experiences and interests and I think what really matters is that you believe in your story and what your film says.

A question for those who got accepted. What kind of work you guys submit for the video? Is it school production or production from work? Is it large scale production? I'm thinking to reapply but I need some suggestions to best work on my next application process. Thank you!
I'd just like to echo what others have said and really really really encourage you to fully read and absorb the interview with @USCSCAAlumni/Faculty, particularly how the personal statement is weighed far more than the visual sample. You've now been given the definitive blueprint for things that previous cycles only guessed at. They said that one of the big misconceptions is that the visual sample is what "gets you in," when in reality that is hardly ever the case. The personal statement is key, and they really lay out the clear pitfalls and traps that many applicants tend to fall into (i.e. avoid topics like "why I love movies" or "how badly I want to become a filmmaker"). Instead, focus on your personal story, experiences, things you have lived through. I don't care how boring you think your life was, there is something unique about it. I think part of the journey in shaping your personal statement is the practice of self-awareness and reflection that's necessary to think about your life in a way perhaps you weren't used to, and to use a storyteller's mind and creative instincts to sculpt that glob of experiences into something that makes sense. That's what storytelling is after all, the expression of our human need to make sense of our experiences in this world.

Even though I didn't do this on purpose, I structured my visual sample around my personal statement. I talk about my "artistic journey" in my personal statement, and that journey largely consists of me making my visual sample. So my visual sample is essentially a supplement to my personal statement. I also used my personal statement to explain some of the choices (and even shortcomings) behind my visual sample. Anyhow, my personal statement and visual sample are inseparably tied.

My visual sample is indeed a pretty big film I made in college (big as in I had more than a skeleton crew), but it was also only shot on a DSLR-equivalent camera. You can get very good footage from DSLR + post nowadays. I think if you want to do iPhone, then you'll have to lean into it as a confident, stylistic choice and show that you know what you're doing.

Curious if this is normal that we haven’t heard about scholarships or financial aid with only around 3 weeks until decision time or is the virus impacting these results, slowing things down? Anyone receive information about their FAFSA? Thanks for the help.

A question for those who got accepted. What kind of work you guys submit for the video? Is it school production or production from work? Is it large scale production? I'm thinking to reapply but I need some suggestions to best work on my next application process. Thank you!

I did my undergrad studies in product and graphic design from a design school which is very similar to a film school, so I already had som eexperience in filmmaking. Additionally, I was working at corporate company where my design team would make corporate films and I had taken a few screenwriting and filmmaking courses. I worked on my visual sample specially for my applications and focused on my story and how important it was for me to tell it. I also took efforts in cinematography as I had mentioned in my personal statement that I want to learn direction as well as cinematography. I didn't use expensive lights or equipment though, just a simple yellow bulb or a tubelight was enough to create different lighting. My designing skills were an advantage in this case.

As for my written sample, I thought it was my weakest point as I only started writing a year ago, but I wanted to show my Indian roots and that I have unique stories from India, so my written sample was a feature treatment. It was a very spiritual story with a slightly modern approach. So I guess I got points only for writing about a different culture from a fresh perspective. But that's just my analysis.

But, I agree with everyone that your personal statement is what matters the most. I wanted to highlight my aesthetic and illustration skills and show them that I am a creator, one way or another, so instead of going the traditional route, I had drawn a comic strip of four pages illustrating my story. This became a very strong point in my application as my interviewer mentioned that she had never seen a personal statement like mine.

So, I would suggest that work on your personal statement. That's your identity because everyone has their story and their own way of presenting it, you just have to be honest. Think of it as selling yourself as a brand, what USP do you have and how do these USPs help you become a better storyteller.

Sorry for a long message. This journey was really tough and stressful and I had very limited knowledge about how to apply for film schools, so I would like to help anyone who needs it. 😊

I actually submitted something I worked on as a director/producer for a small production company here. So, yes, I did get funding behind it (but not much, it was "just" a "digital" project so funding wasn't that big), but I was hesitant to submit it because it was more experimental and not really narrative. So I made a re-edit specifically for my application.

Now that I look back to it, at the very least, that project was something I made from the heart. It was a work for a client, but it was something I'd make anyway out of passion, so it did feel authentic that way!

I got my rejection letter from USC last night... So far I've only been accepted by LMU :( I'm struggling whether should I take a gap and apply again for 2021 Fall... Any suggestions? T.T

LMU is a great school too! I would have applied too but what stopped me is that when I visited in 2018, they were in the middle of transferring to their new campus, which I think should be fully functional by the time you start! Look in to the curriculum and the campus resources for both schools and see which one you'd prefer. If you strongly prefer USC, you could try again next year. But, either way, LMU is a great school.

Curious if this is normal that we haven’t heard about scholarships or financial aid with only around 3 weeks until decision time or is the virus impacting these results, slowing things down? Anyone receive information about their FAFSA? Thanks for the help.

Hey! I heard back about scholarship from the SCA but not financial aid.

I reached out to the financial aid office today and I was told that financial aid packages would be sent out in June. I don't know if that's normal for USC or if it's been impacted by the virus. As for scholarships, I think the SCA will reach out to you directly if you've received any of the department grants or scholarships. I think they sent out some emails last week and I don't know if there will be any more.

I reached out to the financial aid office today and I was told that financial aid packages would be sent out in June. I don't know if that's normal for USC or if it's been impacted by the virus. As for scholarships, I think the SCA will reach out to you directly if you've received any of the department grants or scholarships. I think they sent out some emails last week and I don't know if there will be any more.

@Blainefuller My understanding is that financial aid would just be loans & work study anyway though

I got an email reply from SCA yesterday and they said scholarships are still being determined on a rolling basis and will be awarded through the first week of April. To my understanding, the George Lucas Fellowships have been awarded so don’t count on those bad boys. SCA said that the scholarship amounts are “very modest” so concurrently pursuing outside funding sources is highly suggested.

I’m under the impression that they don’t give scholarships to those on the waitlist so I’ve been looking for outside funding sources and have had trouble finding good scholarships to apply to. I’ve looked on the thread of scholarships on here and they’re good but I just wish I could find some more options. Anyone have any ideas on how to find these sources?

I got an email reply from SCA yesterday and they said scholarships are still being determined on a rolling basis and will be awarded through the first week of April. To my understanding, the George Lucas Fellowships have been awarded so don’t count on those bad boys. SCA said that the scholarship amounts are “very modest” so concurrently pursuing outside funding sources is highly suggested.

Man, as an International Student, I'm holding out for hope that I be considered the HFPA Scholarship. Not sure if they've already awarded it, but still crossing fingers on it!

I’m under the impression that they don’t give scholarships to those on the waitlist so I’ve been looking for outside funding sources and have had trouble finding good scholarships to apply to. I’ve looked on the thread of scholarships on here and they’re good but I just wish I could find some more options. Anyone have any ideas on how to find these sources?

I am also on the waitlist and have been looking at outside funding! I am not sure what to do/am very worried about finances. I think I am also just stressed and worried about COVID, so it is impacting my view on everything.

I am also on the waitlist and have been looking at outside funding! I am not sure what to do/am very worried about finances. I think I am also just stressed and worried about COVID, so it is impacting my view on everything.
I mean in a way I would almost prefer going in Spring 2021 because COVID should be calmed down and almost back to normal by then. But if I get off the waitlist, I can't defer to Spring so I'm a little nervous about funding and moving, but I guess I'll just deal with that if it comes. Outside funding is difficult to dig up! It's really frustrating.

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back