USC School of Cinematic Arts - Stark Producing Program 2023

Hey folks! Thought to create a thread for Peter Stark for this year as interview notifications are expected to be sent within the next 2-3 weeks.

This is my second year applying, I was waitlisted last year. Good luck to everyone in this cycle!
Hi there,

I also got on waitinglist last year and re-apply to Peter Stark this year. Have you taken the interview this year?How about the atmosphere? And what questions did get at the interview?

Many thanks,

Did anyone have any more interviews? If so, how'd they go? I'm getting nervous already lol.
I had mine last week. I think it went well, it was a mix of some of the questions mentioned on this thread and some that were more specific to the conversation we were having during the interview. They are extremely nice people and they try to make it light hearted. Good luck to those with upcoming interviews!

It feels a little dead for sure.

Usually picks up a little more by now I would have thought. :( Seems to be a bunch of lurkers reading and not posting. I'll have to check to see if our ranking has changed on Google results for some reason but I don't think it has. I think it would have gotten better with all the interviews and articles we've been having as I'm seeing a lot of those show up in search results.

I might also move the old application year threads back into the main category instead of the archive as that is a change I did this year to clean things up that might have affected our Google ranking for those pages? Not sure. I was trying to make it easier for people to find old threads but maybe I made it harder by mistake? If it ain't broke...

I actually think the main problem is that there are a bunch of lurkers reading and not posting as traffic seems about the same to me but I'll look into that more too.

I did add back the ability to register quickly with Google yesterday so hopefully that will help. I removed it before as it was causing errors but I think I resolved that. Maybe that is some of it as not as many people wanted to go through the hassle of creating an account manually? Hopefully it picks up soon. 🤞

Good luck!

I also just added the "Latest posts" widget to the bottom of all pages. I just realized it wasn't showing up on article pages so people who find the site via the articles maybe don't know about the forum as easily on mobile.

I might also move the old application year threads back into the main category instead of the archive as that is a change I did this year to clean things up that might have affected our Google ranking for those pages? Not sure. I was trying to make it easier for people to find old threads but maybe I made it harder by mistake? If it ain't broke...
I've unarchived the old threads and moved them all into the main category in case that was causing issues. One thing I did recently to make it easier to find things though was I made forums that contain all posts that pertain to a certain program like the following:

Is it safe to say that anyone who hasn't gotten any invitation yet is rejected? When have they usually sent out rejection letters in past years?

The earliest decision date was February 16th in the past assuming people entered their data correctly:

Maybe I should add a "latest" stat as well instead of just an earliest stat?

Hi everyone! My name is Erik and I had an interview for Stark about a week ago on February 13, and I was notified about my interview on January 26. The waiting is killing me as I can't stop constantly checking my email. Fingers crossed for us all!

Is it safe to say that anyone who hasn't gotten any invitation yet is rejected? When have they usually sent out rejection letters in past years?
Have you talked to anyone current from the program?

It really helped me! Last year’s applicants, they didn’t have to record a video submission so I heard some interviews for 2022 was to gauge their personality.

Prior to submitting, I got connected with Bailey Cool who assists the current students of the Peter Stark Program.

I also followed up with an update on current projects I got hired on to keep the admissions committee notified about my progress since I mentioned it in my application.

I only emailed her a couple of times, to thank her and keep her up to date. If you have anything significant to share, I think she can relay your message on your behalf.

Have you talked to anyone current from the program?

It really helped me! Last year’s applicants, they didn’t have to record a video submission so I heard some interviews for 2022 was to gauge their personality.

Prior to submitting, I got connected with Bailey Cool who assists the current students of the Peter Stark Program.

I also followed up with an update on current projects I got hired on to keep the admissions committee notified about my progress since I mentioned it in my application.

I only emailed her a couple of times, to thank her and keep her up to date. If you have anything significant to share, I think she can relay your message on your behalf.
So interviews have always been part of the process regardless of the video submission. The interview definitely is to gauge personalities. That is all you can really do in a span of 20 minutes at least I think so. The video I think is another layer that just helps them assess people quickly for volume purposes. In the past from what I've seen if you don't get an interview you get rejected. I say that because it happened to me last year.

I have a few friends in the program and they all got their decisions at the end of the first week of march and definitely by the second week of march. But, if you have an update, it never hurts to tell them. You never know what's happening internally. I would reach out to one of the advisors and ask.

Hey folks! Thought to create a thread for Peter Stark for this year as interview notifications are expected to be sent within the next 2-3 weeks.

This is my second year applying, I was waitlisted last year. Good luck to everyone in this cycle!
I didn't receive a request for an interview, which has made waiting feel very heavy. I didn't apply to any other programs/schools. **hyperventilates into paper bag**

I didn't receive a request for an interview, which has made waiting feel very heavy. I didn't apply to any other programs/schools. **hyperventilates into paper bag**
I've applied to the program three times and the one thing I will say is that every time I haven't gotten in, something has worked out or I've found the next best thing. Producing is one of those paths that has a unique journey for everyone. I would advise that you do the same. Keep working on your craft. Keep learning. Stay curious. You never know what could lead you to be in a position where you may not even need Stark. There's always work to be done and stories to be told. Agencies are always hiring in their mailroom. Make a short film. Write a script. Just don't give up! You're talented and a school can never give you that or take that away from you. Something the admissions told me when I interviewed with them two years back is that - Stark is an accelerator, not a substitute. In regards to the interviews, it's not over until it's over. Resilience and patience are key. Just because it isn't happening now, doesn't mean it won't happen ever. You probably don't realize it yet, but you're further into the process than you think :) Keep going!

I've applied to the program three times and the one thing I will say is that every time I haven't gotten in, something has worked out or I've found the next best thing. Producing is one of those paths that has a unique journey for everyone. I would advise that you do the same. Keep working on your craft. Keep learning. Stay curious. You never know what could lead you to be in a position where you may not even need Stark. There's always work to be done and stories to be told. Agencies are always hiring in their mailroom. Make a short film. Write a script. Just don't give up! You're talented and a school can never give you that or take that away from you. Something the admissions told me when I interviewed with them two years back is that - Stark is an accelerator, not a substitute. In regards to the interviews, it's not over until it's over. Resilience and patience are key. Just because it isn't happening now, doesn't mean it won't happen ever. You probably don't realize it yet, but you're further into the process than you think :) Keep going!
I'm worried that I may be too old to be accepted into this program. I notice in their demographics, the age range stops at 39. I spent the last (almost) two decades as a cosmetologist and single mom of 4. I didn't have the resources to go to college until a few years ago. I am currently an undergrad film student at UC Berkeley, graduating in May.

If I am accepted into this program, we will me moving to LA. If I don't get in, I have no idea what is next. I took a class with one of the program's professors, last summer, and he convinced me that the Peter Stark Producing Program is where I'm supposed to be.

Still hopeful, but bracing for rejection.

I'm worried that I may be too old to be accepted into this program. I notice in their demographics, the age range stops at 39. I spent the last (almost) two decades as a cosmetologist and single mom of 4. I didn't have the resources to go to college until a few years ago. I am currently an undergrad film student at UC Berkeley, graduating in May.

If I am accepted into this program, we will me moving to LA. If I don't get in, I have no idea what is next. I took a class with one of the program's professors, last summer, and he convinced me that the Peter Stark Producing Program is where I'm supposed to be.

Still hopeful, but bracing for rejection.
The professor saw something in you so that's something special. When it comes to age, they are quite diverse, I don't think they have a limit. They understand that not everyone has the privilege to attend early on, everyones journey is a little bit different. I don't think you should be worried about age. There's an interesting story there somewhere, which I'm sure you talked about in your application. It's definitely hard to navigate when you have kids, I'm not sure where I would even begin. But props to you! You're an inspiration to many of us. I hope I get to see you there next year and both of us get in! Really hoping you get an interview :)

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back