• FilmSchool.org has Film School Forums, Film School Reviews, and a database of over 2,118 Film School applications with acceptance rate statistics, minimum GPA, GRE, SAT scores, submitted Portfolios, and notification dates for all of the best Film Schools including USC, UCLA, AFI, Chapman, Columbia and NYU.
  • END OF YEAR HOLIDAY SALE: Become a Lifetime Supporting Member for ONLY $15! You receive permanent access to the full application tracker, private forums, blogging, and more... Donations go towards making this site even better for you. Thank you for your support.

USC Screenwriting Acceptance/Rejection thread 2013

I got a letter in the mail this morning saying "congratulations on your admission to graduate study at the University of Southern California...you have been admitted as a graduate student in writing for Screen and Television" woot woot!

rmarquez

Originally posted by secretteachings:
I got a letter in the mail this morning saying "congratulations on your admission to graduate study at the University of Southern California...you have been admitted as a graduate student in writing for Screen and Television" woot woot!
email or snail mail?? Congrats...

Fanfand

Originally posted by secretteachings:
you are an american right?

Defrizzle

Just got my hardcopy acceptance and I-20 in the mail today. Lightheaded all over again :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Much congratulations to you both. Insanely jealous and anxious right now. Haven't heard anything and my application status perpetually remains "submitted". I'm thinking of calling just to see if I've missed anything.

Do they send rejections out as soon as they decide?

rmarquez, I received snail mail. I was convinced it was a rejection until I opened it.

fanfand, I am a California resident, living out in the desert near Joshua Tree...not an international applicant

iWrite

I'm in the same boat. I sent an email on Friday inquiring whether there's been some sort of error with my application. Still no response. Beginning to lose hope. Congratulations to those who have already been notified on their admission. I'm sure your submissions were exceptional. Be proud!

iWrite --
Call 'em. They'll give you an update over the phone. That's what I did today. Called up and asked if they had all my materials and the guy said that it was out to the admissions committee for review. Something in his voice told me otherwise -- like "rejected" was already marked or something.

Fanfand

I get accepted, receive email letter from SCA this morning, but tell me to wait until 28th for graduate office letter to complete the admission
Anyone else's letter is like this?

Fanfand

officially admitted (DHL mail) by graduate office, but on condition that I have to do well
well, anyway if anyone have good new, share them, thank you guys so much during this process:)

Mighty

Called USC again, the lady explained that everything is sporadic with respect to decisions being made and sent out. She assured me that candidates are still being considered for admission.

I got the vibe she's speaking truth, so people, such as yours truly, who have not heard a darn thang, have a ray of hope.

Say word.

Fanfand

On the other thread they are sharing video, I am very interested in reading the creative challenges AB you guys submitted, do you want to exchange? we can send to each other's email:)

Thanks for the update and for checking, Mighty.

Fanfand: I'd also love to read the creative challenge submissions from everyone who cares to share. I might convince myself to be brave and share mine too, though not until I've heard a definite response from USC. Don't want to jinx myself or anything!

Yeah, I believe everyone that's sharing also received acceptances. I'm a bit nervous myself about giving my samples out before I hear something.

I'm interested in how everyone handled the samples? Did you write a scene from a larger movie or were the stories self contained?

I did one of each in an attempt to show my versatility. The one about the two people being stuck in an elevator was a scene from a "larger story". The other was self-contained.

Fanfand

Originally posted by butyoureyessaidyes:
Thanks for the update and for checking, Mighty.

Fanfand: I'd also love to read the creative challenge submissions from everyone who cares to share. I might convince myself to be brave and share mine too, though not until I've heard a definite response from USC. Don't want to jinx myself or anything!
sure looking forward to read your work once you are admitted~

Fanfand

@ achorusisrising:

I'm interested in how everyone handled the samples? Did you write a scene from a larger movie or were the stories self contained?

My two stories are both self contained, one comedy one tragedy, and the writing sample romantic, trying to do different things in the application, I didn't have much time back then, write the 2 challenges in one hour

I tried to approach the creative challenges with the idea that they could function as standalone pieces, but could seemingly fit within larger works, too. The way I see it, I have favorite scenes within my favorite movies and TV shows, so that should sort of apply to the creative challenges, too.

My elevator piece is comedic, and my other piece is tragic. My writing sample is the first chapter of an urban fantasy young adult novel, compressed into 10 pages. It has some action and hints of a budding snarky romance. I tried to maintain similar thematic elements in all three writing samples, while doing my best to demonstrate versatility as well. Fingers still crossed... :)

Latest Applications

Latest reviews