USC Screenwriting Acceptance/Rejection thread 2013

I'm not sure if you guys are still using this thread but here I go,

I'm planning on to apply for the writing program at USC this year. How important do you think is the Creative Portfolio List ("A list of all significant creative projects in which the applicant has participated, noting the role the applicant has played. Formal recognition such as awards, publications, and exhibitions should also be noted")

I've been doing something totally unrelated to screenwriting or film or TV up until this point of my life, so I don't have any projects done.

Would this hurt me significantly?

On a totally unrelated note, what's the average age of your class?

Thanks for the help!

Originally posted by Fanfand:
@ achorusisrising:
I didn't have much time back then, write the 2 challenges in one hour

How did you write two challenges in one hour?? That's crazy!! What meds were you on?

How many pages did you write?

Originally posted by butyoureyessaidyes:
Is your antho published anywhere? What genre do you specialize/prefer to write in? (Just curious!)

Nah, not yet -- I've got some bites, but most of the potential publishers want me to change some of the content, and that's something I'm vehemently against.

I'm thinking of just tabling the anthology or publishing it through a vanity press (just for the credits) and begin work on my sci-fi novel, "Godkind."

As for genres, I like to write horror thrillers and sci-fi thrillers. One of my submissions to USC was a scene from an unnamed spy thriller. I also enjoy writing rich character studies. In fact, all the flash fiction pieces in my anthology are character studies.

Received this e-mail about two hours ago.

"Following careful consideration, we are offering you a place on the waitlist for the Fall 2013 Writing for Screen & Television MFA program. An official waitlist letter will be sent to you by mail to the current address listed on your application."

Anyone else get waitlisted?

I've received nothing yet -- no rejection or acceptance. At this point, I'm ready to hear ANYTHING. I feel like my life's on hold until I can get this sorted out.

Rejected via snail mail. =/

I think my past academic performance borked me. I totally bombed out of the first college I attended. Had a 3.9 gpa once I enrolled elsewhere.

Anyone still up for trading application materials?

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous
  • Florida State University - MFA in Writing
    5.00 star(s)
    Degree: MA/MFA
    Concentration: Screenwriting
    Hidden Gem
    Before I get into the details, it's worth mentioning that I'm in my second year at this program and have really enjoyed my time here. I will be...
    • catmom

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back