USC Screenwriting Acceptance/Rejection thread 2013

Originally posted by butyoureyessaidyes:
How exciting! Congrats on scoring an interview. :)

I also thought USC screenwriting didn't do interviews. Perhaps this is the first year they're doing them? I do think it's a great idea because it gives us an opportunity to further expand on our applications, further discuss our visions, inspirations, ambitions, etc.

When is your interview? Do let us know how it goes, and best of luck with it! :)

Thanks, I will~ just a little nerve racking, for it will be relatively long interview, like 20 to 30 minutes
if anyone get it too, remember to share it:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this the real life...? I make a living out of parsing sentences for meaning, but I can't for the life of me internally confirm this.

Email from USC:

"Your application for admission to the University of Southern California has been received and reviewed. I am pleased to inform you that you are academically eligible for admission to the Fall 2013 semester as a graduate student majoring in Writing for Screen and Television leading toward a Master of Fine Arts; however, your application is not yet complete...

Bunch of logistics, forms, etc...

Upon receipt of the affidavit of support, your official letter of admission and I-20 or DS-2019 will be forwarded to you. Please reply directly to this email if you have any questions."

I am not replying directly to that email with this particular question, because I am frankly afraid, "Are you sure? What does this mean?" is going to sound a mite daft.

Also, congratulations on the interview Fanfand!

Originally posted by Defrizzle:
Is this the real life...? I make a living out of parsing sentences for meaning, but I can't for the life of me internally confirm this.

Email from USC:

"Your application for admission to the University of Southern California has been received and reviewed. I am pleased to inform you that you are academically eligible for admission to the Fall 2013 semester as a graduate student majoring in Writing for Screen and Television leading toward a Master of Fine Arts; however, your application is not yet complete...

Bunch of logistics, forms, etc...

Upon receipt of the affidavit of support, your official letter of admission and I-20 or DS-2019 will be forwarded to you. Please reply directly to this email if you have any questions."

I am not replying directly to that email with this particular question, because I am frankly afraid, "Are you sure? What does this mean?" is going to sound a mite daft.

Also, congratulations on the interview Fanfand!

did you have your interview?

No, so unfortunately I've no information to offer you on that particular point :/

If it's anything like the main production department, I'd say interviews are dependent on which professor in particular is reviewing your application. That mightn't be how the process works for the screenwriting MFA though :/ sorry I can't be more help.

But the general advice of be relaxed, friendly and honest probably still stands! :)

No, so unfortunately I've no information to offer you on that particular point :/

If it's anything like the main production department, I'd say interviews are dependent on which professor in particular is reviewing your application. That mightn't be how the process works for the screenwriting MFA though :/ sorry I can't be more help.

But the general advice of be relaxed, friendly and honest probably still stands! :)

is your offer from graduate school or from the department?

USC's Office of Graduate Admission. Which is why I'm unsure it constitutes an offer, as such, since it sounds like it could almost be like the UCLA retracted admission offer fiasco. I'm not getting excited yet.

USC's Office of Graduate Admission. Which is why I'm unsure it constitutes an offer, as such, since it sounds like it could almost be like the UCLA retracted admission offer fiasco. I'm not getting excited yet.

Office of Graduate Admission is good new, that means you are officially admitted. what UCLA retract admission fiasco?

There's some info in the equivalent thread below for UCLA's Screenwriting program, but basically a bunch of students got letter saying "Yes, you're in," and then, a little later, "No, whoops, sorry, you're just on waitlist."

USC hasn't had any record of problems though.

Hey, I did do some searching on the net - apparently interviews are fairly casual. One guy had the professor ask him about favourite films, inspirations, goals and ambitions and whatnot.

*edit*

And phew, yay! Apparently I'm in, pending money matters. NOW I'm weak-kneed.

There's some info in the equivalent thread below for UCLA's Screenwriting program, but basically a bunch of students got letter saying "Yes, you're in," and then, a little later, "No, whoops, sorry, you're just on waitlist."

USC hasn't had any record of problems though.

Hey, I did do some searching on the net - apparently interviews are fairly casual. One guy had the professor ask him about favourite films, inspirations, goals and ambitions and whatnot.

*edit*

And phew, yay! Apparently I'm in, pending money matters. NOW I'm weak-kneed.

Thanks, congras on your admission~ hope to see you in the program

Yes indeed :) thank you. Good luck with your interview!

*Edit*

Also, let us know how it goes. Jia you!~

Originally posted by achorusisrising:
Anyone else received anything?

I received an e-mail from the scholarship committee today that "...confirms receipt of your application and that your application will be sent on for review to the scholarship committee..."

Did you guys get that already?

In other random news, apparently I registered an account for this website when I was 16 years old, which I have no recollection of doing. That's neat, I guess.

Hello,

I'm currently producing a graduate film at USC and we are looking to crew. We are in need of the following positions:

AD
AC
PAs
Gaffers

Prior experience is a plus but we are more than willing to offer on-site training if you are interested in a position that you don't have experience in. The shoot dates are as follows:

Saturday, March 2nd
Sunday, March 3rd
Saturday March 9th
Sunday March 10th

If you can make any of the shoot dates please let me know. This will be a great and fun opportunity to boost your resume and meet some people at USC (if you're interested in attending/applying).

Compensation will consists of: Copy, Credit, Meals.

Thanks for your time!

Originally posted by chase:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by achorusisrising:
Anyone else received anything?

I received an e-mail from the scholarship committee today that "...confirms receipt of your application and that your application will be sent on for review to the scholarship committee..."

Did you guys get that already?

In other random news, apparently I registered an account for this website when I was 16 years old, which I have no recollection of doing. That's neat, I guess. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think it has nothing to do with your status... I guess they are barely getting around to it.

Originally posted by liarelaw:
@chase I received the same email. Did you have an interview before? I'm applying for production MFA.

No interview. I could be wrong, but I think interviews were mainly for international applicants.

As rmarquez said, it's probably just standard procedure. I'm sure they have a lot of applications to go through.

I wouldn't be surprised if they process the international students first, given the sometimes inordinately long I-20 process. That might explain why mine's come through early.

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous
  • Florida State University - MFA in Writing
    5.00 star(s)
    Degree: MA/MFA
    Concentration: Screenwriting
    Hidden Gem
    Before I get into the details, it's worth mentioning that I'm in my second year at this program and have really enjoyed my time here. I will be...
    • catmom

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back