Hey guys! I'm applying to USC for their John Wells Division for Writing for Screen and Television, and I'm currently working on the supplemental scripts and essays I need to write. On their website it doesn't say anything about the formatting for the essays? Like for the greatest life challenge essay or the autobiographical character sketch, it just says 1-2 pages in length, but it doesn't tell us if it needs to be double spaced or 12 point font or anything.... And writing two pages with single space makes a huge difference than with double space. Does anyone know the correct format? Or have any suggestions on what format would be best? Thank you!

viipyramids

Supporter+
The problem is there isn't a word limit listed anywhere on the USC website (that I've found), so that really doesn't help answer the double spaced or single spaced question.

I have scoured this forum and haven't found any evidence that single-spaced will hurt your chances. I sure hope not. Mine is single spaced and there's no way I could cut it down to 2 pages double spaced without starting over. lol

I wish we could get a definite answer, but the fact that they've kept it vague seems intentional, which makes me think as long as it fits on 2 pages anything goes.

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
This is the full instructions:

1. Autobiographical Character Sketch (please upload in PDF format under the "Forms" section):
    Write a creative essay or short story that evokes an understanding of how you became who you are. This should reflect your individuality. It's not a resume. (1-2 pages in length)

It doesn't specify spacing so you should be fine either double out single spaced.

I also just found this thread from 2015 where they contacted the school and asked:

I emailed them a few weeks ago asking the same question. They told me to use Times New Roman font and it should be size 12. They also said it could be either single or double spaced. I'm personally using single space.

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
This is the full instructions:

It doesn't specify spacing so you should be fine either double out single spaced.

I also just found this thread from 2015 where they contacted the school and asked:

Oops ha. That was UCLA not USC. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
But the same advice might apply. Everything I've read seems to point to the you can do either if they don't specify.

Have you thought about also contacting the school to ask?

Hey guys! I'm applying to USC for their John Wells Division for Writing for Screen and Television, and I'm currently working on the supplemental scripts and essays I need to write. On their website it doesn't say anything about the formatting for the essays? Like for the greatest life challenge essay or the autobiographical character sketch, it just says 1-2 pages in length, but it doesn't tell us if it needs to be double spaced or 12 point font or anything.... And writing two pages with single space makes a huge difference than with double space. Does anyone know the correct format? Or have any suggestions on what format would be best? Thank you!

Hey! I've been following this girls youtube channel, and she talks about how she got into USC Screenwriting. She listed her supplements, and from the looks of her stuff she did 1.15 spacing and 12 point font for her sketch and challenging moment. She got into the program, so I think I'm gonna follow her advice haha. Heres a link to her website! my-usc-writing-sample

Add your film school application to our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Add Application…

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Add your own Application to our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications