USC Screenwriting MFA Fall 2014 Applicant Unite!

Hey Danny! What admission session is this you speak of? Is it just for screenwriting or USC Graduate programs as a whole?

Hey all,

This should say applicantS but I can't figure out how to change the title of the post. (ugh)

Didn't see a thread started for those of us applying to USC MFA Screenwriting for fall 2014. Thought this would be a good place to share our adventures in writing creative challenges, autobiographical character sketches and beyond.

It would be great to get to know other applicants as well and why we're all so interested in USC. I'm 24 and living in Los Angeles. I've been working at a production company in development and haven't made any connections or headway in the world of TV writing. I've advanced in some of the TV workshops, but I want to go to USC to improve my writing (as I've only started writing about a year and a half ago) and also make some solid TV world connections. I'm attending the admission session on September 25th and I've been burning the old midnight oil the past couple of weeks trying to get all my essays done so I can apply by the end of september (I want to get it out of the way while I'm not so busy).

Looking forward to hearing from everyone and starting this journey!

Hi there!

Did you finish your application? I am preparing to submit mine in the coming weeks.

What's up dudes (general term). Let's start this thread up again.

2014 USC MFA Screenwriting Applicant here. Los Angeles. Noted that my application has been forwarded for Academic Decision but it has been like this for a few weeks...soooo...

Updates, anyone, updates...course not it's too early, but just want to see what is up with everyone in this boat right here.

And what a boat we're in! My status is the same as yours. I think I remember seeing people began hearing back in mid-February last year, with the majority hearing in March. Could be mistaken, though (I have a serious case of the Monday clouds going on today).

Yeah, I think I've seen a few call backs in mid-January but those were from forum posts a few years back. Well, nice meeting you. Hopefully we can kick this thread up like those from 2007-2009, I'd like to meet more people in our "situation." Ha.

Well the fun should commence within the month. What blows me away is the different acceptance rates of different schools...crazy! Anyways hope this thread lives and we all get in.

From what I've seen from previous years, they won't start sending out acceptances for the screenwriting MFA until February. THey do have to go through like 300+ applications after all. That's a lot.
If anyone hears anything please do post!
BTW, does anyone know if they interview potential Screenwriting MFAs? I haven't heard they did, and was just curious.

From what I've seen from previous years, they won't start sending out acceptances for the screenwriting MFA until February. THey do have to go through like 300+ applications after all. That's a lot.
If anyone hears anything please do post!
BTW, does anyone know if they interview potential Screenwriting MFAs? I haven't heard they did, and was just curious.

I've read both yes and no on USC interviews but for screenwriting the overwhelming consensus has been NO unless you are an international student (this goes for all SCA programs). I've also read that some profs interview prospectives but that an interview isn't mandatory. The interview process is probably more like a professor wondering "will this kid be cool for my class dynamic or is he (or she) a little diva."

I have the feeling most interviews are for those students who are great writers but have given some sort of indicator that they may or may not go the distance. Since there are some students who get in outright and others who interview, then of course others who wait list, an interview doesn't guarantee a spot so for those who don't receive an interview request it isn't a good enough reason to freak out - that's how I think about it. Could be wrong.

Anyway, good to see some more life on this thread.

Hey everyone!

I applied to USC (and UCLA) for Screenwriting. I'm 23 and currently living in Miami (where I'm from), though I lived in LA last year, where I completed a TV writing certificate at UCLA extension. I've been writing for about a year and a half.

Glad to meet you all and good luck!

Hey everyone!

I applied to USC (and UCLA) for Screenwriting. I'm 23 and currently living in Miami (where I'm from), though I lived in LA last year, where I completed a TV writing certificate at UCLA extension. I've been writing for about a year and a half.

Glad to meet you all and good luck!

valeskarod

What's up! Applied for the same. Where in MIA do you live? I interned out there a few years back at Cripsin in Coconut Grove (not in one of those houses). How was the TV writing course at UCLA Extension? I had a friend who took a screenwriting course there and he said it was pretty rad.

valeskarod

What's up! Applied for the same. Where in MIA do you live? I interned out there a few years back at Cripsin in Coconut Grove (not in one of those houses). How was the TV writing course at UCLA Extension? I had a friend who took a screenwriting course there and he said it was pretty rad.

I live like 15 minutes from Coconut Grove!

And I really enjoyed the classes I took at UCLA extension. I had never written before taking the classes there, so I got a lot out of the experience (learned structure, formatting, characters, story, basically everything from scratch.)

The teachers (and classmates) were great, too!

I live like 15 minutes from Coconut Grove!

And I really enjoyed the classes I took at UCLA extension. I had never written before taking the classes there, so I got a lot out of the experience (learned structure, formatting, characters, story, basically everything from scratch.)

The teachers (and classmates) were great, too!

Congrats on the interview (UCLA)! Saw your update on another thread.

Miami is pretty dope. Was there for about four months. Swimming in the ocean in the middle of January is always dope. =)

How long were you out here?

Thanks! I kept refreshing it to make sure it was real.

I was in LA for about a year. After I finished the classes I moved back home to save money. Hopefully I'll be back soon :)

And yeah, Miami is awesome. Too humid though!

Hey valeskarod,

How was UCLA's extension program. I was thinking about doing it but conflicted about spending the money. It seems like it is geared more for first time script writers. I was also wondering, if the program helps students create a good body of work (about 3 scripts), what would be the point of going for an MA in screenwriting?

Just wanted to hear your perspective, since you've already done it. :)

Hey valeskarod,

How was UCLA's extension program. I was thinking about doing it but conflicted about spending the money. It seems like it is geared more for first time script writers. I was also wondering, if the program helps students create a good body of work (about 3 scripts), what would be the point of going for an MA in screenwriting?

Just wanted to hear your perspective, since you've already done it. :)

Hi Jennifer :)

I loved the program. I had never written anything before enrolling, so I really got a lot out of it. For me, it was definitely worth the money (though I’ve heard classes have gone up a bit in price since I left).

I left the program with 4 scripts: 2 specs of an existing show and 2 original pilots, but feel I still have so much to learn (I guess we never really stop ‘learning’ writing wise, huh?)

Since completing the certificate, I have continued to write on my own. I’m currently part of a writers group, and although we do meet and exchange feedback, I really miss the classroom dynamic.

I’m looking to fully immerse myself in my writing, and being a fulltime program, I think the MFA is a route I’d like to take. Also, the opportunity to learn from instructors who have been working industry professionals is just icing on the cake.

Thanks for the feedback valeskarod. Wow, that is a great body of work to come out of the program. Right now it's about $3,500 for the whole program - which, isn't too bad I guess.

I've just been writing and learning on my own since college, and attending workshops for writing advice.

I'm like you. I miss the classroom setting and bouncing ideas off of other people. And being around others that have the same interest! Writing can get lonely :(

Anyway, it's getting closer now kiddos. Hopefully we'll start finding stuff out next week or the week after :)

Thanks for the feedback valeskarod. Wow, that is a great body of work to come out of the program. Right now it's about $3,500 for the whole program - which, isn't too bad I guess.

I've just been writing and learning on my own since college, and attending workshops for writing advice.

I'm like you. I miss the classroom setting and bouncing ideas off of other people. And being around others that have the same interest! Writing can get lonely :(

Anyway, it's getting closer now kiddos. Hopefully we'll start finding stuff out next week or the week after :)
The program is great in the sense that you get out of it what you put in. My main goal was to get as many writing samples as I could, so I took the spec and pilot classes various times with different teachers. Other people I know prefer to take different classes, like sketch ones, how to produce, etc.

You could always take a class to see if you like it, and if you decide you do, you can sign up for the certificate at any time . The only reason I did the 'certificate' was because I wanted to take around 6 classes anyways, and the certificate made me eligible to use their gym :D

It sounds like I'm in the same boat as a lot of you. I applied to USC and UCLA for the screenwriting MFA. I've heard back good news from UCLA that they want to see me for an interview, but I haven't heard anything from USC yet. Now we wait...

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous
  • Florida State University - MFA in Writing
    5.00 star(s)
    Degree: MA/MFA
    Concentration: Screenwriting
    Hidden Gem
    Before I get into the details, it's worth mentioning that I'm in my second year at this program and have really enjoyed my time here. I will be...
    • catmom

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back