USC Screenwriting MFA Fall 2017 (Acceptance, Rejection, Etc.)

Miraculously, I was accepted to the USC MFA in Writing for Film and Television program.

An email that arrived at 3:15 told me to check my You USC portal.

Congrats, Kira! I'm happy that you got in and seeing someone else get accepted right out of undergrad gives me a little spark of hope.

Hello all, I am waiting like all of you. Given that the 2015 pattern is mirroring the 2017 pattern ( internationals first, Americans second, all on the weekend), I emailed the writing division for more insight as to what the rest of us can expect. If they don't email me back mid Monday afternoon, I'll give them a call, and let you know what they told me by Monday evening. Valium and best wishes for now! Good luck everyone! Seriously, can't we all just pay the astronomical fees and go to school together? God knows, I've spent enough on undergrad. Thinking only positive thoughts,
A Barb (never a Nancy)

Hello all, I am waiting like all of you. Given that the 2015 pattern is mirroring the 2017 pattern ( internationals first, Americans second, all on the weekend), I emailed the writing division for more insight as to what the rest of us can expect. If they don't email me back mid Monday afternoon, I'll give them a call, and let you know what they told me by Monday evening. Valium and best wishes for now! Good luck everyone! Seriously, can't we all just pay the astronomical fees and go to school together? God knows, I've spent enough on undergrad. Thinking only positive thoughts,
A Barb (never a Nancy)

Can I just say that I love your icon

I'm already emotionally pivoting towards new goals but I'll still be waiting eagerly for what you find out. Way to grab the process by the balls, @MFAman. Viva you... and dammit ¡Viva Barb!

I'm already emotionally pivoting towards new goals but I'll still be waiting eagerly for what you find out. Way to grab the process by the balls, @MFAman. Viva you... and dammit ¡Viva Barb!

Agree, Re: the emotional pivot. I haven't given up per say (the weekend ain't over yet, and there's always waitlisting) but not being part of the initial blast of acceptees puts a damper on the enthusiasm a bit. But, hey, a pretty cool job opportunity opened up for me yesterday, so I guess I can focus on that now. One door closes, the other opens, as it were.

Huge congrats to @Kira and @Comedynerd, though. Not to sound creepy, but I had a feeling you two would make it just from the postings you made here. Just a feeling in my, uh, gut.

Hmm, that still sounded kind of creepy...

Last edited:
not being part of the initial blast of acceptees puts a damper on the enthusiasm a bit.

I've spent the last few hours obsessively checking the tracking sheets and what not from the past few years and it looks like the first blast of acceptances come out over the course of the weekend and not just over a day. It's only saturday, and there's still hope! Hang in there, everyone.

I've spent the last few hours obsessively checking the tracking sheets and what not from the past few years and it looks like the first blast of acceptances come out over the course of the weekend and not just over a day. It's only saturday, and there's still hope! Hang in there, everyone.

Not to be a negative nancy over here (once again, it ain't over til it's over), but according to last year's sheets, everyone who was accepted was notified on March 4, and everyone who was denied got their letter a week later on March 11. No dates in between were reported, at least in the Screenwriting department. But that is just the one year, I guess.

And the comfort I've been using personally is that the people on this forum, although I imagine some of the most determined of the bunch, still represent a slim number of the actual applicants, and acceptees for that matter. After all, last year's sheet only shows five accepted people, and my previous research says the program admits around 32 people a year. So that's still 27 people unaccounted for, and who knows when the hell they found out they were accepted.

So I guess, ultimately, as nice as the sheets are to have as a "guide," they are no way a gospel on this. Which means that I took my extremely negative first point, completely turned it around, and made it hopeful again. Who says optimist never win, huh?

Not to be a negative nancy over here (once again, it ain't over til it's over), but according to last year's sheets, everyone who was accepted was notified on March 4, and everyone who was denied got their letter a week later on March 11.

Ahhh yeah, I saw that. The year before when acceptances went out in february, however, they went out over the entire weekend (from the 20th - 24th it looks like), which made me feel like because the decision dates echoed that year, they'll be released in the same form this year. Still, there's no telling what's going to happen.

Ahhh yeah, I saw that. The year before when acceptances went out in february, however, they went out over the entire weekend (from the 20th - 24th it looks like), which made me feel like because the decision dates echoed that year, they'll be released in the same form this year. Still, there's no telling what's going to happen.

True. Last year it seemed they were quite late on sending out letters, so maybe they decided just to blast them out over the single day just to get it over with. With this year seemingly back to the standard "last weekend in February" thing, it's possible they are doing the slow rollout again. That's what I will keep telling myself, at least!

Congrats @Kira and @Comedynerd!!

I'm gonna do the chant from The Craft if anyone wants to join me before I cast a spell in our favor.

Congrats, Kira! I'm happy that you got in and seeing someone else get accepted right out of undergrad gives me a little spark of hope.
Haha thank you! Yes, there is hope for us youngsters!

Wow! Well done @Kira & @Comedynerd so exciting!
Thanks! I am thrilled!

Agree, Re: the emotional pivot. I haven't given up per say (the weekend ain't over yet, and there's always waitlisting) but not being part of the initial blast of acceptees puts a damper on the enthusiasm a bit. But, hey, a pretty cool job opportunity opened up for me yesterday, so I guess I can focus on that now. One door closes, the other opens, as it were.

Huge congrats to @Kira and @Comedynerd, though. Not to sound creepy, but I had a feeling you two would make it just from the postings you made here. Just a feeling in my, uh, gut.

Hahaha that's not tooooo creepy :p Sounds like you have a lot of exciting opportunities coming up! But it's not over until the fat lady sings :)

Congrats @Kira and @Comedynerd!!

I'm gonna do the chant from The Craft if anyone wants to join me before I cast a spell in our favor.

Thanks!! I haven't seen The Craft but I am sending good vibes to all you guys!!

Not creepy! That's lovely to hear. I'm glad I don't seem like an android or some slob goblin on this forum. I WORRY! :)

So, from the sounds of it, no one else heard anything in the middle of the night? I've pretty much given up all hope of ever getting an email from USC anytime other than the hours of 1 AM - 5 AM, so I guess it's another night of waiting for me...

So, from the sounds of it, no one else heard anything in the middle of the night? I've pretty much given up all hope of ever getting an email from USC anytime other than the hours of 1 AM - 5 AM, so I guess it's another night of waiting for me...

I've honestly come to terms w/ my oncoming rejection BUT I still have hope for the waitlist and I have confidence that my UCLA interview went well. It aint all bad.

I've honestly come to terms w/ my oncoming rejection BUT I still have hope for the waitlist and I have confidence that my UCLA interview went well. It aint all bad.

Yeah, it's weird—I'm like 95℅ sure I was rejected, but that other 5℅ refuses to budge no matter how much I try to reason with it. I guess there's a part of my brain that needs tangible proof before it actually gives in. Kinda annoying, to be honest.

And yeah, this is when only applying to the one program is pretty annoying...won't be making the same mistake next year!

Hey @Septopus7 , I only applied to one school too. Wish me good luck when I call tomorrow. I plan to be kind but persistent for answers (timelines) still praying for all of us. Love to you all! I'm such a Barb.

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back