so....based on the info from the spreadsheet all programs hear back around the same time i’m assuming? and that includes both international and US students as well...well two people who applied to the film/TV production program (both international students) just heard back a few hours ago! (((and got accepted ?))) now i’m curious if the time has begun and the emails and acceptances start rolling in or not omg

I think we still have a couple weeks. End of Feb/ early March is the usual for Screenwriting.

First of all, I want you all to know my heart skipped a beat when I saw a notification that this thread was updated in my email, so I guess it's THAT time of year. To steal a phrase from Rushmore...we're in the shit now, y'all.

Secondly, @dorkydiana is correct in saying that, pretty much every year, production students are informed of their status at the same time as Screenwriting students, if not later (with no interviews to contend with, Screenwriting students are usually the ones to get notice first...usually.) So I would say there's a 95% change this is indeed the weekend acceptances go out. Which is bizarre. It's almost always the last weekend of February when this commences, and we still have one week left. This is in contrast to last year, when the first admissions came out the first weekend of March -- a week late.

So, basically, USC is doing everything in its power to throw me personally off my game every year, which is just so GREAT.

Regardless, I would imagine no reports of acceptances here yet is simply because it's still early in the day; time zones and what not will lead to a gradual flow in the process. Also, this is usually a weekend long ordeal, so maybe no one in our neck of the woods will hear back until tomorrow. Hell, sometimes they expand the scope (for reasons unknown) into two weeks so, if you don't hear back by Monday, don't fret -- always next weekend.

After next weekend though, do fret! Fret freely, as chances are slim for acceptance after that.

...Maybe. This is of course all based on previous data patterns which, for USC, can be thrown to the wind at the drop of a hat. Maybe they did hold off notifying all Screenwriting candidates until next week. Maybe they're holding off until mid March. Maybe people will still be getting accepted into the program come August. Who knows, there are no rules! Panic accordingly.

First of all, I want you all to know my heart skipped a beat when I saw a notification that this thread was updated in my email, so I guess it's THAT time of year. To steal a phrase from Rushmore...we're in the shit now, y'all.

Secondly, @dorkydiana is correct in saying that, pretty much every year, production students are informed of their status at the same time as Screenwriting students, if not later (with no interviews to contend with, Screenwriting students are usually the ones to get notice first...usually.) So I would say there's a 95% change this is indeed the weekend acceptances go out. Which is bizarre. It's almost always the last weekend of February when this commences, and we still have one week left. This is in contrast to last year, when the first admissions came out the first weekend of March -- a week late.

So, basically, USC is doing everything in its power to throw me personally off my game every year, which is just so GREAT.

Regardless, I would imagine no reports of acceptances here yet is simply because it's still early in the day; time zones and what not will lead to a gradual flow in the process. Also, this is usually a weekend long ordeal, so maybe no one in our neck of the woods will hear back until tomorrow. Hell, sometimes they expand the scope (for reasons unknown) into two weeks so, if you don't hear back by Monday, don't fret -- always next weekend.

After next weekend though, do fret! Fret freely, as chances are slim for acceptance after that.

...Maybe. This is of course all based on previous data patterns which, for USC, can be thrown to the wind at the drop of a hat. Maybe they did hold off notifying all Screenwriting candidates until next week. Maybe they're holding off until mid March. Maybe people will still be getting accepted into the program come August. Who knows, there are no rules! Panic accordingly.

So they usually send decisions over the weekend? I remember seeing mondays a lot, but also remember that they like to send them out over the weekend to avoid the rush of calls. It's kind of fun to predict the day even if we are all off a bit.

Yeah, Mondays are also a possibility. Not certain about this week, though, with it being President's Day and all. Then again, they only ever seem to send out letters at days and times when the university is closed, so maybe that will actually work in our favor. Frankly, I don't understand why they don't just release the letters all at once rather than this slow release, other than to torture people like us clued into the entire process...a.k.a. the minority. Most just send out the app and wait for a response. I guess speadsheets, data point analysis, and group anxiety sessions aren't for everyone (THEIR LOSS.)

Anywho, yeah, Friday-Monday is the sweet spot. Never the rest of the week. After that, got to wait for Round 2 the week after. After round two, you're pretty much done (unless you get waitlisted which, from past years, is extremely rare for USC. Like only a couple cases of it happening to people here at all. But, hell, I'd take a waitlist! It would be something, at least. But I digress.)

Last edited:
Yeah, Mondays are also a possibility. Not certain about this week, though, with it being President's Day and all. Then again, they only ever seem to send out letters at days and times when the university is closed, so maybe that will actually work in our favor. Frankly, I don't understand why they don't just release the letters all at once rather than this slow release, other than to torture people like us clued into the entire process...a.k.a. the minority. Most just send out the app and wait for a response. I guess speadsheets, data point analysis, and group anxiety sessions aren't for everyone (THEY'RE LOSS.)

Anywho, yeah, Friday-Monday is the sweet spot. Never the rest of the week. After that, got to wait for Round 2 the week after. After round two, you're pretty much done (unless you get waitlisted which, from past years, is extremely rare for USC. Like only a couple cases of it happening to people here at all. But, hell, I'd take a waitlist! It would be something, at least. But I digress.)

Does this work for production applicant too? All ad letters are gonna be sent out by this and next weekends?

Yeah, Mondays are also a possibility. Not certain about this week, though, with it being President's Day and all. Then again, they only ever seem to send out letters at days and times when the university is closed, so maybe that will actually work in our favor. Frankly, I don't understand why they don't just release the letters all at once rather than this slow release, other than to torture people like us clued into the entire process...a.k.a. the minority. Most just send out the app and wait for a response. I guess speadsheets, data point analysis, and group anxiety sessions aren't for everyone (THEY'RE LOSS.)

question: do we know if they’ll also send out rejections around the same time as exceptions? and will it be through email or physical letters? bc looking at the spreadsheet from last year the rejections got it weeks after! ugh the suspense is killing me

@Shuly @GoAndLoveSomeMore
Looks kind of like both. I glanced at last years and it looked like 6 days layer they sent out more emails but primarily for waitlist for the production majors. And for both it looks like they can trickle in for a couple days but there may be one day where most come in.

so....based on the info from the spreadsheet all programs hear back around the same time i’m assuming? and that includes both international and US students as well...well two people who applied to the film/TV production program (both international students) just heard back a few hours ago! (((and got accepted ?))) now i’m curious if the time has begun and the emails and acceptances start rolling in or not omg

Ouch my heart just skipped a beat!

Haha. But I believe screenwriting applicants in particular hear back late feb/early march.

So they usually send decisions over the weekend? I remember seeing mondays a lot, but also remember that they like to send them out over the weekend to avoid the rush of calls. It's kind of fun to predict the day even if we are all off a bit.
Does this work for production applicant too? All ad letters are gonna be sent out by this and next weekends?

Usually yes, although things vary a bit with Production, by the looks of it. They accept A LOT more waitlisted students, for one.

Also, do they usually only send it one day of the weekend or multiple nights of the weekend?

Multiple nights, usually either very late at night or very early in the morning (which is actually the case for all the letters -- as a "proud" recipient of two denial letters, I can attest both were sent to me at like 2 AM on a Sunday morning.)

question: do we know if they’ll also send out rejections around the same time as exceptions? and will it be through email or physical letters? bc looking at the spreadsheet from last year the rejections got it weeks after! ugh the suspense is killing me

Unless you are accepted, all correspondence is through email. And, as @WriterK90 put it, no, they are sent weeks after. Last year in particular was AWFUL, so if they are releasing the acceptances out earlier this year, I hope the wait for denial letters won't be so long. It's actually possible that due to the snafus of last year, the process has been accelerated this time around -- thus, earlier letters.

Ouch my heart just skipped a beat!

Haha. But I believe screenwriting applicants in particular hear back late feb/early march.

In a typical year, yes. But, typically, Production students don't hear back in mid-February either. And that thread has reported not one but two acceptances, so we are officially in crazy pants, Aberration Town now. Whose to say if that will carry on over to the Screenwriting department, but suffice to say -- I'm refreshing my email more often, that's for sure.

this is... extremely anxiety inducing haha. I have been telling myself I won't know anything until March and now I just read all of these posts and i'm completely thrown off. especially with the notifications over the weekend. So not what I was expecting

this is... extremely anxiety inducing haha. I have been telling myself I won't know anything until March and now I just read all of these posts and i'm completely thrown off. especially with the notifications over the weekend. So not what I was expecting
Same. Usually once saturday hits, I relax. But now I'll be all ?

I've decided I'm not going to stress until someone here shares that they got a decision notification. And then I'll be refreshing my email every 2 minutes. ?

Still nothing then? Wow, they really are doing something different this year, in a sense at least. The Screenwriting department is being its same ol' slow poke self, but I guess someone over in Production kicked the process into high gear. Good for them, I guess. As for us, who knows! I'm still considering the possibility that it did start this weekend, and none of us on this forum were just part of the initial batch.

Hypothetically, lets play with some numbers. I've always heard "32" as the number belted around for students in a class, so lets stick with that. Now since its (usually) a two week process, lets say for arguments sake they accept 16 people per weekend. And, in a given year, there's usually 6-8 users who report acceptances on this forum alone. That leaves still like 24 people who were given acceptance letters who wouldn't check in and let us know. Statistically, it's not impossible that admission letters could have been sent out (all sixteen allotted for the weekend, even), and we just haven't heard about it because none of us personally were selected in the first batch (personally, there's a part of me that believes that happened last year, explaining why the first acceptances didn't happen until the first weekend of March, rather than last of February.) Of course, there's no way of knowing for sure at this point. And, frankly, it really doesn't matter anyways -- when we hear back we hear back, I guess. But these brain experiments keep me from languishing too much about my own status, so I'm gonna keep doing them until someone tells me otherwise!

And I'm sure the rest of you, like me, have a mini heart attack every time you see an update to this thread, so I thought I would just keeping giving you all those. A reminder you are alive, and all that.

Yeah, thanks for that.

I'm going to keep biding my time by binge watching Umbrella Academy. That'll distract me for another 10 hours, at least. ?

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous
  • Florida State University - MFA in Writing
    5.00 star(s)
    Degree: MA/MFA
    Concentration: Screenwriting
    Hidden Gem
    Before I get into the details, it's worth mentioning that I'm in my second year at this program and have really enjoyed my time here. I will be...
    • catmom

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back