If you got waitlisted check the portal. I had an acceptance letter from 4/20 and still haven’t gotten an email.

In light of this news, at least one more slot will still be opening up here or at AFI because inexplicably I’m in at both. The doors aren’t shut just yet.

Best of luck everybody. <3

Glad to see people on this forum being offered a seat! At least one of them is mine! Hopefully USC can be more of a reality for y'all.

@ahdu Have you paid the AFI deposit yet?

Yeah I accepted AFI with enthusiasm. And now I’m that asshole struggling to make this call. But all things equal (I’m going into debt either way) it feels borderline stupid to turn down USC.

Yeah I accepted AFI with enthusiasm. And now I’m that asshole struggling to make this call. But all things equal (I’m going into debt either way) it feels borderline stupid to turn down USC.
Also- just practical side (do the school that calls to you clearly), USC is actually cheaper than AFI for Screenwriting. And ask about how much time you have available for internships second year. AFI, speaking to a student not Anna, I was told he did 2 days a week barely but had to cut down to one as it was too much and that that’s pretty standard. Everyone has their own important things, but internships are one of mine and I ? think USC has more days available for them. (But I’m not certain).

As an asshole previously struggling to make the call, I wish you luck. Ultimately I followed the money and, in your case, the money is with USC (@cdemonis right, in that USC costs about $15k less a year than AFI does.) That being said, kinda sucks that you already put down the thousand. Clearly the cost difference between the two already makes up for it, but still...that money is vapor now.

Last edited:
After all the stress of applications maybe you need a drink, or at least some good conversation! If so come to our meetup on 8/24 :) hope to see some of you there!

To those that applied last year.... Be sure to update your application in the Film School Application database with as much info as you can.

See this example application to see how you can fully utilize the system:

The more data the better to help future applicants. Thank you! ?

Don't despair!!! I didn't apply to USC bc I couldn't afford tuition (not even with a scholarship) but I know a lot of people who didn't get into USC and got into manyyy other schools (and people who got rejected everywhere else except for USC --I have an opinion on this but it might be controversial). My point is, there's more than one way of getting there and I can tell you're passionate about writing --I'm 100% sure you'll make it. I always tell this to myself, in case it helps: raw talent doesn't make a career, perseverance does
I'm curious about your opinion? USC has always been my dream school but I'm pretty sure I got rejected from UCLA because I didn't receive an interview.

I'm curious about your opinion? USC has always been my dream school but I'm pretty sure I got rejected from UCLA because I didn't receive an interview.
Results for both usually come out at the beginning of March (around March, 3rd).

Re: USC, I have no idea how the process is. First time applying. I know you need no interview, as opposed to UCLA where you definitely need one to get in. USC-wise, people usually hear back whether it's yes/no any time between late February and late March, according to previous years' application-status sheets.

As for UCLA, I'd say: given that they've only sent out 46 interview requests, give it until next week. Last year they sent out over 100 and interviewed people over the course of four weeks, all the way until Feb. 28. Results came out around March, 3, less than three days later.

People who've interviewed this year at UCLA were told that results would come out later in the month. Why would they need to take three weeks to decide which 30 people out of 46 interviewees they accept, when it took them 3 days last year to decide which people out of a 100 people they wanted for the MFA?

But... It could also be that this year they have a new system and they're only interviewing 46 people, and axing 10 or so out of them (classes are usually around 30 students). But my impression (and this is 100% conjecture) is that some more interviews, let's say at least 20 or so, will come out next week. Even last year this one girl got an interview request later in the month and got in, so there's still a tinge of hope.

I mean, after next week, I'll give up hope. And if they had already sent out the 100 interview requests, I wouldn't even be typing this, but just out of precaution, give it until next week :)

Hope this helps! :)

School-wise, they're both good. I think it depends more on where you're interests lie (TV, film, commercial stuff, indie stuff... depending on what you like and how you are as a person/writer, I'd recommend a different thing)

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back