USC Writing for Screen & Television MFA 2022

Chris W

The night was sultry...
Staff member
This is a thread for those of you applying to USC Writing for Screen & Television MFA for entry in Fall 2022. Reply below if you are planning to apply to meet your fellow applicants.

Here are our current admissions statistics and acceptance data from our database for the program:

When you apply please add your application to our database so we can improve our data.

Deadline is November 15.

USC Cinematic Arts | Graduate Application Procedures

Reply below if you are applying to chat with your fellow applicants. :)

Good luck!

Last edited:
This is a thread for those of you applying to USC Writing for Screen & Television MFA for entry in Fall 2022. Reply below if you are planning to apply to meet your fellow applicants.

Here are our current admissions statistics and acceptance data from our database for the program:

When you apply please add your application to our database so we can improve our data.

Deadline is November 15.

USC Cinematic Arts | Graduate Application Procedures

Reply below if you are applying to chat with your fellow applicants. :)

Good luck!
I’m applying!!!! Ahhhh!!!!

Hey guys, I'm just currently going through my application. I was wondering if anyone had difficulty filling out the character limit for certain prompts such as inputting conferences/memberships/experiences etc.? I wrote 3/4 sentences for each and thought to ask if this is generally expected?

I had such a hard time with those prompts, but they turned out as some of the most fun scenes I've written and I was really happy with them.

But honestly, it's USC - who knows!? I'm just glad to have applied.

Umie13, for me I left most of the conferences/memberships/experiences blank, because I haven't had any of those opportunities unfortunately. Hopefully they won't hold that against me!

Hey all! I'm having two issues:

1) They say you need two letters of rec (USC Cinematic Arts | Graduate Application Procedures) on one and three on the other (see document below). Does anyone have a sense of what's going on?

2) There's not a separate personal statement, correct? There's just the 'most challenging' and 'autobiographical essay'? One that's on the graduate application (which I've completed and couldn't see where it'd be submitted)/ When answering a question about the writing application, an admissions officer said, "you can include this information in the personal statement or the creative essay or the most challenging moment."

I'm confused! And don't want to be ready to click 'submit' this weekend and see that there's one more essay!

Thank you all!

Attachments

• WritingGraduateSupplementals.pdf
    157.4 KB · Views: 203

1) They say you need two letters of rec (USC Cinematic Arts | Graduate Application Procedures) on one and three on the other (see document below). Does anyone have a sense of what's going on?

2) There's not a separate personal statement, correct? There's just the 'most challenging' and 'autobiographical essay'? One that's on the graduate application (which I've completed and couldn't see where it'd be submitted)/ When answering a question about the writing application, an admissions officer said, "you can include this information in the personal statement or the creative essay or the most challenging moment."

I'm confused! And don't want to be ready to click 'submit' this weekend and see that there's one more essay!

Thank you all!
It varies to the programme you're applying to. The programme that demands 3 letters of recommendation is the Producing programme (I think Peter Stark). The other programmes require just 2 letters of recommendation. I've applied for the Writing programme so therefore supplied two letters.

There isn't a personal statement. Again, this varies from programme to programme. Some require a personal statement (again, I think the Peter Stark Producing programme). Some require a few essay prompts to fill out. Each programme will demand different supplemental materials. For the writing programme there isn't a personal statement component.

Thank you all!
I think that pdf is old requirements that they no longer use. when you go on the school's website, it says 2 recommendations. also, I believe the slideroom application only has space for two recommenders

It varies to the programme you're applying to. The programme that demands 3 letters of recommendation is the Producing programme (I think Peter Stark). The other programmes require just 2 letters of recommendation. I've applied for the Writing programme so therefore supplied two letters.

There isn't a personal statement. Again, this varies from programme to programme. Some require a personal statement (again, I think the Peter Stark Producing programme). Some require a few essay prompts to fill out. Each programme will demand different supplemental materials. For the writing programme there isn't a personal statement component.
thank you!!

Submitted. Fingers crossed.
Good luck!!! Remember to add your applications to our database.

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous
  • Florida State University - MFA in Writing
    5.00 star(s)
    Degree: MA/MFA
    Concentration: Screenwriting
    Hidden Gem
    Before I get into the details, it's worth mentioning that I'm in my second year at this program and have really enjoyed my time here. I will be...
    • catmom

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back