UT Austin - Film & Media Production MFA 2020

ricktown

Hey y'all! New to this site, but I'm pretty sure there was not a UT 2020 thread yet. If there's anyone else here applying for the Fall, say hello!

My question - for your "reel" are most of you creating a more traditional reel, that weaves in bits and pieces of your work with a single soundtrack and underlying theme/message (aesthetically) - or are you splitting up your content best you can as isolated pieces? I'm not experienced in either type of reel so just getting a pulse on what anyone else might be doing.

Thanks!

Ricky

ricktown

Another question I had - for our academic writing samples, are we allowed to edit/tweak as we see fit or have to submit as is?

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
BU
Another question I had - for our academic writing samples, are we allowed to edit/tweak as we see fit or have to submit as is?
Is this for stuff already submitted to a school? Not sure. But I'm leaning towards leave as originally written.

ricktown

Is this for stuff already submitted to a school? Not sure. But I'm leaning towards leave as originally written.
The only description is, "This should be a report, article, review, or anything that you've written for a class (or similar). No page limit, we recommend something at least 5-10 pages long."

My plan was to submit my strongest undergrad paper, but it still includes some areas of improvement / refinement. I just wasn't sure if I could "update" it accordingly, or if that was seen as not kosher.

magg6789

Hi! As of now I think we are some of the only ones within the community/website that applied to UT. One of my documents arrived one day late so we'll see how that plays out.

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
BU
Hi! As of now I think we are some of the only ones within the community/website that applied to UT. One of my documents arrived one day late so we'll see how that plays out.
There are definitely lurkers. :) Sorry to hear your document arrived late. In the past that hasn't been too much of a problem with some programs. If you are worried definitely take a moment to call them. Admissions departments are generally get helpful.

ricktown

In the same boat! My last "recommender" still hasn't submitted his letter. I've sent an email but I'm interested in utilizing MyStatus/UTdirect's "resend" option. If I do that, does UT still see that I initially requested before the deadline? I just don't want it to show my only request date as today (as in, after Dec 1). If anyone knows, let me know. Thanks!

triplefour

Hey folks, I also applied to UT for Fall 2020. I ALSO still need one of my recommenders to submit, coincidentally.

I wonder about how his tardiness affects the review of my application. I also applied to UCLA a month ago and they sent me a reminder about his letter saying review would be delayed if not submitted by December 2, which was almost a month after I submitted, so I’m hoping there’s a grace period of some kind. Ideally they would understand that this is the fault of the recommender and not us, right?

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
BU
While everyone is waiting for more info PLEASE take a moment to review the program on our site as an APPLICANT: (it can be anonymous)

List your pros and cons and why you applied to this program. If you can, please also review all of the other programs that you applied to on the site. It will help others A TON. :)

You also assign start ratings to:
  • Alumni
  • Campus
  • Career Assistance
  • Equipment
  • Coursework
  • Professors
  • Financial Aid & Scholarships
You can review a film school as an:
  • Alumni
  • Current Student
  • Admitted Applicant
  • Current Applicant
  • Rejected Applicant
  • Official Tour
  • Unofficial Tour
  • Interview
Thank you! It'll be a HUGE help to the site and fellow applicants. :)

Last edited:

DylanJ

The only description is, "This should be a report, article, review, or anything that you've written for a class (or similar). No page limit, we recommend something at least 5-10 pages long."

My plan was to submit my strongest undergrad paper, but it still includes some areas of improvement / refinement. I just wasn't sure if I could "update" it accordingly, or if that was seen as not kosher.
Hi Ricky,

I've also applied for the UT Film Production program but had some unforseen complications with one recommender to the point where she had to be removed and replaced. Currently in the process of asking my new recommender now. The admissions email was quick to reply. They said it could take up to 3 business days to reply but I got an email back within 24 hours.

On the academic writing sample - I ended up using a paper from a history class of all things because it was one of my better undergrad papers and I just tweaked the header so it didnt have the old date/course/professor on it.

Best of luck with your application! I've heard that we could hear back as early as the beginning of February.

Also, thank you for starting the thread. Glad to see theres some of us out there on filmschool.org!

emfayec

Does anyone know when we will be notified about waitlists, interviews, etc? I emailed them a few weeks ago but no response.

sydney

Does anyone know when we will be notified about waitlists, interviews, etc? I emailed them a few weeks ago but no response.
I emailed about a month ago, and the program coordinator told me notifications are typically released in late Feb or early March.

Last edited:

ricktown

UT notified me via email today that I was waitlisted. Will know for sure if I am accepted before April 15th. To be honest, I am not disappointed with the news. It feels validating to know my application is worth considering. Anyone else get any news?

triplefour

I’ve heard nothing. Sigh. Hopefully they’re not done sending out acceptance/waitlist letters.

sydney

I haven't heard anything yet either. I saw somewhere that they send out denials first, waitlists second, and acceptances last—so I'm clinging to that even if I'm not totally convinced it's true.

magg6789

I haven't heard anything yet either. I saw somewhere that they send out denials first, waitlists second, and acceptances last—so I'm clinging to that even if I'm not totally convinced it's true.
If you don't mind me asking...where did you find this information?
As of now, I haven't received any updates myself from UT.
It's my top choice so fingers crossed. If it's meant to be it will be.

sydney

If you don't mind me asking...where did you find this information?
As of now, I haven't received any updates myself from UT.
It's my top choice so fingers crossed. If it's meant to be it will be.
I know I read it on a forum— not exactly sure which one though. It might have been one of the UT Austin threads on CollegeConfidential. If I run across it again, I can share the link. Like I said, I don't know that I believe it's 100% accurate. I just find it somewhat comforting the more time passes without hearing anything.

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
BU
Hi! I just got notified that I was accepted into MFA 2020 production program!
Congrats! That's awesome! If you want the UTA badge and private UTA forum access see this thread:

Latest Applications

Latest reviews