UT Austin - Film & Media Production MFA Applicants 2023

Hey y'all,
I know we're getting pretty close to the (theoretical) notification date, and I wanted to see who else is waiting in anticipation.
Also, when did your portfolio materials get viewed? Mine weren't reviewed until January 16th, and some of my materials were not as watched as others, which I am worried is a bad sign.
Thanks!

Good luck!

Here's our current application statistics for the program as well as accepted student demographics in the link below:

UT Austin - MFA program in Film and Media Production Acceptance Rate (All Programs/All Years)
36%
Admitted
22  out of   61   Admitted
10%
Waitlisted
6  out of   61   Waitlisted
54%
Not Admitted
33  out of   61  Not Admitted
Admitted
Waitlisted
Not Admitted

Everyone be sure to log your applications so we can improve our data.

I wish everyone the best! 🤞🤞🤞

Hey y'all,
      I know we're getting pretty close to the (theoretical) notification date, and I wanted to see who else is waiting in anticipation.
      Also, when did your portfolio materials get viewed? Mine weren't reviewed until January 16th, and some of my materials were not as watched as others, which I am worried is a bad sign.
      Thanks!
      Basically in the exact same boat

Hey y'all,
      Thanks!
      Mine were viewed over a number of days, 4 views from Austin, Texas, some time between 15th and 31st January and on average % watched, it's 95 percent watched.

What is the theoretical notification date? They released a lot of decisions on 22nd Feb last year.

A lot less anxiety inducing for me since UT Austin doesn't do interviews, for other schools I've just been stressed about getting the interview notification and what not lol

Mine were viewed over a number of days, 4 views from Austin, Texas, some time between 15th and 31st January and on average % watched, it's 95 percent watched.

What is the theoretical notification date? They released a lot of decisions on 22nd Feb last year.

A lot less anxiety inducing for me since UT Austin doesn't do interviews, for other schools I've just been stressed about getting the interview notification and what not lol
      Their web says (in the FAQ) it will be around February 15th.

I am in it with you! How do i know if they viewed my material?
      Hey y'all,
      Thanks!

Screenshot 2023-02-14 at 10.35.49 AM.png

From their website

Anybody know how much weight experience really has?

from their site:

Q: MFA in Film & Media Production: Do you need industry/professional experience to be considered?
      A: Our program is best suited for those who have been professionally working in the film/media industries and returning back to graduate studies after having gained hands-on professional experience. It is rare that we admit students who have only just graduated with their bachelor’s degree.

Wondering how it factors in that I'm definitely a long ways away from graduating with a bachelor's, but have barely any film experience. Judging by that FAQ, things aren't looking great lol.

Our program is best suited for those who have been professionally working in the film/media industries and returning back to graduate studies after having gained hands-on professional experience. It is rare that we admit students who have only just graduated with their bachelor’s degree.
      I think that line is the one that's most important there. I wouldn't worry as much about lack of experience as that's what film school is partly for. :) 🤷‍♂️

Also check out the experience levels and ages of accepted applicants on our admission statistics page:

Hello everybody! I think this is the first thing I write on this forum after years of reading other people's posts (which were really helpful to me).

I was contacted by UT last week and I had an interview with 2 persons from the Faculty Staff this Monday (February 13th). I was really surprised because, as @abdullahshahid said, I was convinced that the process with UT didn't have an interview... I don't know if me being an international applicant had something to do with it (I'm from Colombia).

Anyways, I want to know if anybody had this same interview and how did you felt in it? In my case, it was really short (like 10-12 minutes), and just a few questions, so, honestly, I don't know what to think about it.

And for answering @heythisisatlas , I sent two videos for my portfolio, the two of them were viewed on January 31st, according to Vimeo statistics. One of them was viewed 100% and the other only 50%.

(Fingers crossed)

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
      For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
      Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
        4.00 star(s)
        Reviewed by: Current Student
        Degree: BA/BS/BFA
        Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
        UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
        UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
        • Anonymous
      • Syracuse University
        4.00 star(s)
        Concentration: Film
        Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
        I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
        • Anonymous
      • Fitchburg State University
        5.00 star(s)
        Reviewed by: Alumni
        Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
        A Great School with Great Professors!
        I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
        • Anonymous
      • Florida State University - MFA in Writing
        5.00 star(s)
        Degree: MA/MFA
        Concentration: Screenwriting
        Hidden Gem
        Before I get into the details, it's worth mentioning that I'm in my second year at this program and have really enjoyed my time here. I will be...
        • catmom
      • AFI Conservatory
        4.00 star(s)
        Reviewed by: Alumni
        Degree: MA/MFA
        Concentration: Screenwriting
        Be careful What You're Getting Yourself Into
        What's AFI best for? Students who had at least couple years of industry experience. I don't mean running around and shooting shorts with your...
        • Dean

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
      Articles
      Forums
      Film Schools
      Scholarships
      Back