UT Austin MFA Film Production Fall 2018

Sachin Dheeraj

Hey there people. This is Sachin. I'm a software engineer working in the Bay Area aspiring to be a filmmaker (I know it sounds weird :D). I didn't find any thread for UTA so thought I'd start this. Super anxious to hear back from UTA. Anyone else on the same boat? Would love to say hi to fellow applicants!

Zeno

Hi Sachin! I too am waiting to hear back from UT Austin production. And it doesn't sound weird at all that you're a software person. Makes you a more interesting candidate. I have a fine arts background as a painter. Also applied to AFI, UCLA, Columbia, and NYU. Will say that UT Austin is not an interview school, as far as I can tell. You're in or not. And they take a bit to notify either way. In other words, later than others. Less than 20 spots so very competitive. But, like you, I think it's worth it to apply. And you may want to add your info to the 2018 Grad spreadsheet: Graduate Film School Applications 2018 The sharing we are doing via this site is kinda novel and helps soothe with quantifiable data. Right up your alley! ;)

Last edited:

Sachin Dheeraj

Hi Zeno! That's amazing. I pretty much applied to the same schools that you did. I updated my info in the spreadsheet. Yes, this website is really really helpful and I'm glad I found it. Hope we both get in. Fingers crossed :)

Sachin Dheeraj

Contacted the graduate coordinator today. They anticipate sending notifications during the week of February 19th. :cool:

Sachin Dheeraj

Yeah man! Good luck to us :)

Nacho

I am also applying for the Production program. Thanks for the info, Sachin!

I recognize your name from last year, Zeno. I applied to a few schools last year and I didn't get in, but I find it insane that you were waitlisted at so many schools. I hope that you get into the program of your choice this year.

Zeno

I am also applying for the Production program. Thanks for the info, Sachin!

I recognize your name from last year, Zeno. I applied to a few schools last year and I didn't get in, but I find it insane that you were waitlisted at so many schools. I hope that you get into the program of your choice this year.

As for last year's results: truth be told, only waitlisted one was Columbia University for screenwriting/directing. Got interviews at UCLA production/directing and AFI screenwriting but, ultimately, did not get the offer. They were my first interviews and I was a bit starchy so I'm sure that had an impact. UT Austin production doesn't interview so all I got was the letter that it was no dice. Hope you get into the program of your choice this year too, Nacho!

Last edited:

Ram GM

Hi @Sachin Dheeraj I am from India too....I have apllied for directing at USC, UCLA, UTA, NYU & AFI pretty much the same as you guys..heard that some people have been receiving interview calls from AFI already...did any of u guys receive em yet from AFI or the other ones...I hope that they ll send interview calls for AFI even after the first set...will they?!

Sachin Dheeraj

Hello Ram, I guess we're in the same boat buddy. Even I applied to the same universities but haven't received any interview calls. But for AFI, I can say that their interview invitations are very random (At least that's what the previous year's google sheet says). So I think there's still a very good chance that we might get calls. Good luck to us man :)

Jawmmin

Hey there people. This is Sachin. I'm a software engineer working in the Bay Area aspiring to be a filmmaker (I know it sounds weird :D). I didn't find any thread for UTA so thought I'd start this. Super anxious to hear back from UTA. Anyone else on the same boat? Would love to say hi to fellow applicants!

Hello, I wanted to let you know that I got email yesterday saying I was waitlisted for UT MFA program...

Sachin Dheeraj

Got an email yesterday. Admitted to UT Austin MFA Film Production!! Most likely my top choice :D

Sachin Dheeraj

Congratulations!!! did they say how many people they have admitted? I was accepted to the Edinburgh MFA program in Scotland, but UT is my top choice.
Thank you! Looks like they accepted 12 students this time for Film Production program.

Zeno

Got an email yesterday. Admitted to UT Austin MFA Film Production!! Most likely my top choice :D
Sachin, congrats. Great program and an inexpensive program. Probably the best deal overall. They give generous amounts towards the production of student's films too. And you'll love Austin. Wish the best on your path forward. Mine is Columbia University. Interview is March 13th. Fingers are crossed.

Last edited:

Sachin Dheeraj

Hi @Sachin Dheeraj super happy for you. Will they be sending mails in coming days or have they sent out the accepted mails already, any chance u happen to know buddy?!
Thank you so much Ram. If you look at last year's spreadsheet, there's a person attending UTA who was notified about the decision in April. So I would suggest to still keep an eye out on your emails :)

Sachin Dheeraj

Sachin, congrats. You should accept. Great program and an inexpensive program. Probably the best deal overall. They also give generous amounts towards the production of student's films. And you'll love living in Austin. Wishing you the best on your path forward. Here's hoping I get into my top choice, Columbia University. Interview is March 13th.
Thanks Zeno! Yes, I also think UTA has a great program. But however I still want to hear back from AFI before I make the final call. All the very best to your upcoming interview in Columbia man :).

Zeno

Thank you so much Ram. If you look at last year's spreadsheet, there's a person attending UTA who was notified about the decision in April. So I would suggest to still keep an eye out on your emails :)
Thank you Sachin. Be interesting to know if that person was waitlisted prior to being accepted in April. I would assume as much unless they don't cultivate a large waitlist/saw a high turnover for accepted applicants. Be unusual if they went back into the overall applicant pool.

Last edited:

Sachin Dheeraj

Thank you Sachin. Be interesting to know if that person was waitlisted prior to being accepted in April. I would assume as much unless they don't cultivate a large waitlist but saw a high turnover for accepted applicants. Be unusual if they went back into the overall applicant pool.
That's a valid point. It's highly possible that that applicant might be waitlisted. Hmm.

Latest Accepted Applications

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

• Emerson College
    3.00 star(s)
    Go if you have a sizable scholarship
    Ultimately glad I went, but my overall experience at Emerson felt very lackluster. The courses were good, but nothing really worth sinking almost...
    • Anonymous
  • USC School of Cinematic Arts (BA/BFA)
    5.00 star(s)
    A Journey Most Illuminating
    I started my USC adventure as a Theatre major. I quickly discovered that I needed to change paths, and film had always been of interest. I thought...
    • JHD
  • London Film School (LFS) - Directing Summer School with Udayan Prasad
    5.00 star(s)
    Great Filmmaking Intensive, Though Pricey
    I attended this summer program in 2019. I wanted to try out directing in an environment where I would get feedback on my work and where I could...
    • llueve
  • Northwestern University - School of Communication
    4.00 star(s)
    Good for film theory, not so much for production
    *Please take this with a grain of salt, as I went to NU over a decade ago. While I was there: Classes in film theory and screenwriting were great...
    • Anonymous
  • Film And Television Institute of India
    4.00 star(s)
    Graduate Certificate, TV Direction
    I was enrolled in the 1-year Direction certificate course in the TV wing in the session 2018-19. Following are the pros and cons that I...
    • ValArya

Latest Accepted Applications