Waitlist Support Group 2021

I thought all the coverage seemed sexist. Can you name a single man- ceo, cfo, dean- that’s been fired for “being abrasive”. If anything it makes me think that Loyola is still operating like it’s in the 1980s. In the 3 years she headed that school, job placement after graduation went up. She didn’t get fired for job performance. She essentially got fired for her personality and how the other professors (her employees) felt about her management style. I can’t help read between the lines that every other person named in the articles- who fired her, her is temporarily replacing her, etc- are all men.
You make an excellent point about the appearance of sexism here. But, just to clarify, professors are not a Dean's employees. The labor structure at a university is very different than it is at a production company. Faculty governance makes tenured faculty colleagues of the Dean, not employees. The Dean has the power of the purse over special projects and new hires (albeit not as much as the Provost) but cannot fire tenured faculty, or even do much to order them around. Every aspect of faculty-administration relations is negotiable and negotiated. And to respond to imenergetic's point below, when tenured faculty make a vote of no confidence, it is a big deal. It would not scare me away from LMU at the moment. SFTV and the institution will weather this transition. But it is a sign of serious discontent. I have not seen a statement from the University itself about this, and certainly no message to prospective students. I am a bit puzzled that the University is not reaching out to prospective students about this. (In response to your initial question, I would say that Larry Summers was sacked from his position as President of Harvard for being abrasive. Technically, he resigned, but it amounted to the same thing. It is clearly rarer for men to be penalized for being abrasive. But it is more likely in the university setting than in the corporate world.)

thinking ahead, i was wondering if any of y'all in new york or la know of any good places i can look into to take classes for screenwriting if i don't get in this year. i want to move somewhere in the fall and it would be nice to sort of work on my screenwriting/ tv writing in an educational setting that isn't grad school so i can then maybe get a job in the industry.

i've been looking into the fellowships and stuff but i've never taken a screenwriting course before so i can't imagine i would be a very competitive applicant (not that i'm not applying anyway!)

thinking ahead, i was wondering if any of y'all in new york or la know of any good places i can look into to take classes for screenwriting if i don't get in this year. i want to move somewhere in the fall and it would be nice to sort of work on my screenwriting/ tv writing in an educational setting that isn't grad school so i can then maybe get a job in the industry.

i've been looking into the fellowships and stuff but i've never taken a screenwriting course before so i can't imagine i would be a very competitive applicant (not that i'm not applying anyway!)

Both cities have classes. However, they are expensive and you can get the same information for free via the world wide web.

I would find a writing group, which will be beneficial for your growth in that it will keep you accountable. Perhaps the overall best thing you can do is to read scripts from movies you like. Read screenwriting books, read books on the industry (Adventures in the Screen Trade), watch videos by fantastic writers (like Mike Arndt's Endings video
), consume industry podcasts like ScriptNotes, and read the trades.

I'm relatively new to screenwriting and am 100% self taught via reading scripts, watching movies, getting feedback from fellow writers I've connected with, etc. I want to remain somewhat anonymous on this forum but reading scripts and understanding how they translate to film has led to enough success where film school may longer the best path for me as things heat up in my career.

There is no right or wrong way down the path of being a working writer. Some moves will help that journey (see my previous post in the subject - like moving to LA). Some, like contests, may not be. You are competitive not just based on the mechanics of your screenplay (things a class could teach you), but on your ability to effectively tell a story worth telling. I have a hunch you have some great stories to tell, and I have a hunch that consuming what there is online for free may help you think about structure, mechanics, and story development. Will a class help? Certainly. Is it worth it? That's for you to decide.

You've gotten this far, keep going.

I’ve been looking for the same! If I reapply next year, it will be for revised list of programs (this year I applied to playwriting programs, but got the strongest responses from the programs that are screenwriting-heavy, and have gotten much stronger response to my work from the film/tv world than the theatre), so I’m hoping to spend the next year polishing my screenwriting and add a few screenwriting/tv writing-specific programs to the mix and eliminate the experimental theatre programs...not my thing.
Alan Kingsberg’s 8 week TV Writing course (nyc, though there may be online options) was highly recommended to me. I’m hoping to attend in the Fall if I end up moving to NYC. Would love to hear if there are similar (reputable) workshops in LA that anyone would recommend!

Would love to hear if there are similar (reputable) workshops in LA that anyone would recommend!
thinking ahead, i was wondering if any of y'all in new york or la know of any good places i can look into to take classes for screenwriting if i don't get in this year.
I posted this on another thread, but here are some LA programs / Online writing workshops.

Script Anatomy is great! Courses offered include TV Writing, Features, and one-on-one workshops.

Jen Grisanti is great, too. She does the NBC Writers on the Verge fellowships for TV Writers. If TV Writing is something you're interested in, Jen has an in-depth 8-week course that includes breaking down TV shows and understanding how successful TV shows works, which you can then apply to your own writing.

For comedy writing (sketch writing, and or the half-hour, writing a web series), check out the Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre or Second City.

More comedy writing -- Brent Forrester (credits: The Office, Love, Final Space, Upload, Space Force) also teaches an online 8-week course. No notes, but you'll definitely learn a lot about writing 1/2 hour comedies.

East West Players - More so for playwriting, but other courses include writing original pilots.

Note: I've done all the above, so if you have any specific questions feel free to PM me.

Before I studied screenwriting undergrad I taught myself from reading scripts online and looking up what I had questions about. Even during school when I was reading a lot of scripts while working as an intern I felt like that was majorly beneficial to me as a writer. Look up the scripts for your favorite movies! I think that’s where you learn how to write, but watching good movies is where you learn what to write (story wise). We were always encouraged to watch similar films to the stories we were writing to learn from them.

Thanks for these resources! What interests me most about a class or workshop would be the same things that appeal to me about grad school that you can’t always get on your own: mentorship, connecting with other writers, learning from your peers, finding or forging a niche with potential future collaborators...just finding people whose taste and feedback you trust. When it comes to structure and craft basics, yeah you can find everything online or in some technique books (I’m reading Writing the TV Drama Series by Pamela Douglas right now which was recommended to me, and I’m enjoying it).

I highly recommend UCLA’s Professional Program. It’s a year long certificate program taught by UCLA professors but it’s separate from the actual school. Classes are online or in person (covid permitting) and they have dedicated tracks like writing for television comedy or drama, a late night writing program, directing/producing, etc.

Current stats in our database for LMU and CSUN:

Although no one has been waitlisted in our database yet for CSUN.

Be sure to add your application to the site so we can get more accurate with our data. :)

Current stats in our database for LMU and CSUN:

Although no one has been waitlisted in our database yet for CSUN.

Be sure to add your application to the site so we can get more accurate with our data. :)

Right? It's such a weird, transitional time. I've been thinking about grad school for years, but the timing was never right. This was the year! I worry about circumstances shifting. And...I just turned 31 :eek:, so I really feel like time is of the essence with regard to school being an option in my life! I'll PM you about the playwriting :) trying not to jinx too many things lol!

Yeah I feel that hard on needing to start a new chapter. Thinking about a couple of different cities. I'm from the NYC area originally, so I honestly didn't want to go back unless it was for a good enough reason (like grad school), but I'm considering it. Considering LA, Austin, and a few others as well.
I just wanted to say that I’m 32 and my best friend is 37 and we got into USC this year, don’t let your age get you down. Sending lots of good vibes hope you get the news you’re looking for!

I just wanted to say that I’m 32 and my best friend is 37 and we got into USC this year, don’t let your age get you down. Sending lots of good vibes hope you get the news you’re looking for!
Thank you much! ♥️ I’ve been grappling with this the last few weeks as I embrace the possibility that I may have to reapply next year. As much as I wish I had more time, I wouldn’t trade my life experiences in my twenties for anything, as they have made me into a much better artist with a very clear sense of what I have to say and why I’m compelled to write in the first place! I always appreciate this meme (attached) in times like these 🤣 :

B7DC0B73-437A-4E83-9B8E-9495C2E362E9.jpeg

Thank you much! ♥️ I’ve been grappling with this the last few weeks as I embrace the possibility that I may have to reapply next year. As much as I wish I had more time, I wouldn’t trade my life experiences in my twenties for anything, as they have made me into a much better artist with a very clear sense of what I have to say and why I’m compelled to write in the first place! I always appreciate this meme (attached) in times like these 🤣 :

View attachment 2432
Absolutely. The obsession that the Western World has with achieving certain things by certain times adds a level of stress that I don't want to F with, what's for you is always for you, remember that. I think Chloe Zhao is an awesome one to look at when you get down about your age. She didn't go to film school until she was in her 30s and look at her killing the damn game.

Hey guys,

Has anyone been contacted about being let off the Stony Brook waitlist? They said they're making waitlist decisions at the end of April. (This is for screenwriting.)

Thanks!

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back