What are my chances of getting into USC Film School MFA? (1 Viewer)

LilyMunster

Hi everyone,
I am going to apply to USC(cinematic arts/writing for screen.tv) graduate school for fall 2017. I applied to ucla and lmu for fall 2016, but was rejected. I don't know why I was, but it might have had something to do with my average GPA(3.0) and it was my first time applying to such programs. Anyway, my gpa has since improved somewhat to a 3.48 upon graduation with my BA this past may. I also want to point out that I am not a California resident. What are my chances with USC? I really don't want to apply and wait a whole year(again) just to be rejected. Is it worth applying with my stats?

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
According to the FilmSchool.org application tracker the usc film school acceptance rate is 30% (48 out of 161 applications) and the lowest reported accepted GPA to the USC Directing/Film Production MFA is 3.0.

USC - Directing/Film Production
  • FilmSchool.org USC Acceptance Rate: 30% (48 out of 161 applications)
  • Lowest Reported Minimum GPA: 3.0
  • Earliest Interview Notification Date: January 3
  • Earliest Interview Date: January 18
  • Earliest Decision Date: January 25
USC - Peter Stark Producing Program
  • FilmSchool.org USC Acceptance Rate: 26% (22 out of 86 applications)
  • Lowest Reported Minimum GPA: 3.39
  • Earliest Interview Notification Date: January 11
  • Earliest Interview Date: January 19
  • Earliest Decision Date: February 16
USC - Writing for Screen and TV
  • FilmSchool.org USC Acceptance Rate: 23% (30 out of 128 applications)
  • Lowest Reported Minimum GPA: 2.9
  • Earliest Interview Notification Date: February 23
  • Earliest Interview Date: February 25
  • Earliest Decision Date: February 20
This article has more statistics as well:

Here are some threads about USC GPA:

Admission to Competitive Producing Programs w/ GPA under 3.0?

Application Help - Will a cumulative GPA of 3.0 be good enough for USC/UCLA/NYU/Columbia film schools?

The last thread post has someone who was accepted to USC with a 3.24 cumulative 4.0 final semester.

Also, you can use the search tool to search for "USC GPA" for more help. The site's been around since 2002 or longer so there's tons of info.

Here's the search results URL for searching threads for "usc gpa" sorted by date:

Search Results for Query: usc gpa | FilmSchool.org - The Best Film School Reviews & Forums

Hope this helps! Hopefully someone will chime in as well.

Last edited:

Kira

MFA TV Writer @UCLA
Staff member
FilmSchool.org Writer
Hey LilyMunster! I am also applying to USC's MFA in Screenwriting program for the Fall of 2017. I think that the GPA boost will help, but the most important thing is your writing samples and recommendations. USC is a private university; I don't really think they'll take your state of residence into account (at least for US citizens).

A few weeks ago (I am a nerd) I also figured that USC accepts between 20~30% of FilmSchool applicants. The actually average is probably lower, since we are the... passionate ones (interested enough to find websites such as FilmSchool). I think it's safe to say that the members here take it seriously.

I can't say whether you (or I, for that matter) will be admitted. Sometimes it really is a toss up. I'd suggest applying to UCLA and LMU again (I'm applying to LMU too!). Make sure that your samples and letters of recommendations sing. If you're worried about "wasting" a year, look at UCLA's Professional programs. They have online courses for both Feature writing and TV writing. Hopefully I'll see you at USC :)

Add your film school application to our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Add Application…

Student Films Made at Film Programs

A248
Views
Reaction score
An artist invites an especially harsh critic to her studio for an exclusive preview of her latest work.
Film Program
Loyola Marymount University
Course
PROD 550
Film Type
Assignment
Genre
Horror
Duration/Running Time
6:01
Film Completion
May 1, 2019
A248
Views
Reaction score
In the midst of a global pandemic, a very paranoid vampire orders contactless food delivery.
Film Program
Course
PROD 685
Film Type
Assignment
Genre
Comedy
Duration/Running Time
1:24
Film Completion
Aug 1, 2020
A248
Views
Reaction score
An exploration of the history and modern day importance of postcards.
Film Program
Course
PROD 670
Film Type
Thesis Film
Genre
Documentary
Duration/Running Time
17:31
Film Completion
May 1, 2021

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Add your own Application to our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications