Film & TV Discussions What to watch on Netflix? (1 Viewer)

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
Personally... first half of episode 1 was obnoxiously too long and really need a serious cut down. We get the point after 10 minutes of showing what a scumbag the main guy is.
YES! Oh my God it made me stop watching. I was like people like this show???? I'm glad I tried again and kept it up. Totally could have been one scene of him being an idiot with money and betting. Him trying to win a prize for his daughter made no sense... why didn't he just buy her something?

I also did read that even the subtitles are not exactly clean. There was a discussion on an article somewhere that the person who did the translation, kind of did a relatively lazy job and converting the actual words differently and didn't catch the context of the speech.
Dumb it down for stupid americans.

Mike_V

Staff member
haha it's weird though, what i read was that the translation didn't make much sense the way it is. if they corrected it, it would still make sense and maybe even more sense.
let me see if ic an find that article

Mike_V

Staff member
and

the slate article goes into how the translators botched the whole culture of calling people by specific names/honorifics
the ladbible goes into how the translation and actual words makes a huge difference in character

katiebonnie

Ok watching Squid Game... tried watching at first and it was dubbed in English and it was horrible. Stopped after 15 minutes because it was god awful and I hated the main character.

Then a couple of days later tried watching in Korean with subtitles and made it through the first episode and got hooked. I think 4 is my next one.

You need to watch in Korean and make it through at least a half hour of the first episode before it gets good. It was hard to watch in it's horribleness before then. I HATED the main character. Why was I watching? But then the game started. Then it was good.
I actually find it so interesting because I don't think I've ever watched a dubbed movie or tv show, I automatically have it with subtitles?? Hated the main character for the whole first half of the episode too but definitely got hooked.

I would recommend Maid on Netflix as well!

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
Hated the main character for the whole first half of the episode too but definitely got hooked.
Yes he's absolutely AWFUL in that first episode. No one is likable in episode 1. Glad I tried again though.

I have no idea why it defaulted to English dub for me. I watch everything in original language.

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
I would recommend Maid on Netflix as well!
Started watching Maid last night. It is really well done. I'm enjoying. Not exactly uplifting but very well done

And a lot of shows seem to be doing the text on screen thing now for texting. Maid adds a new twist to the text on screen that I quite liked which surprised me.

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member

Shocked Cat GIF

Mike_V

Staff member
i didn't watch the entirety of squid game but saw snippets of it and then the last episode.
I dont understand why it's such a hit when I feel like there are other variations out there that are more interesting, imho.
I also still dislike the main character through and through. I feel like he is forever naive and lazy. He still depends on everyone else no matter what.

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
The middle couple episodes were the best IMO.

The main character got better in the middle and the end. I guess they wanted to start him at the extreme bottom to bring him up.

The really likable characters all got killed off. Sorry for spoilers.

Mike_V

Staff member
yeah.. well it was kinda expected on who will be the "winner"
tbh squid game doesn't really show much other than the classic korean style hyper violence that harkens back to the early days of korean cinema. great if you like gore and violence, but I feel like there is some parts that are lacking in the other departments.

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
Still watching Maid though. Really enjoying it still so far. Thanks for the rec @katiebonnie 👍
Ok finally finished Maid. The whole series was extremely well shot and directed and edited.

Main actress Margaret Qualley is great too. Did you know she's really Andie MacDowell's actual daughter in real life too?

Add your film school application to our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Add Application…

Student Films Made at Film Programs

Colella612
Updated
3.00 star(s) 1 ratings
Views
Reaction score
Reviews
Questions
After the light bulb on her film projector burns out, an elderly woman must confront a nightmarish world as well as the trauma of her past as she seeks to find a replacement before her memories are lost forever.
Film Program
Loyola Marymount University
Course
Directing Short Film II: Visual Story
Film Type
Assignment
Genre
Drama
Duration/Running Time
5:58
Film Completion
May 3, 2021
A248
Views
Reaction score
An exploration of the history and modern day importance of postcards.
Film Program
Course
PROD 670
Film Type
Thesis Film
Genre
Documentary
Duration/Running Time
17:31
Film Completion
May 1, 2021
A248
Views
Reaction score
In the midst of a global pandemic, a very paranoid vampire orders contactless food delivery.
Film Program
Course
PROD 685
Film Type
Assignment
Genre
Comedy
Duration/Running Time
1:24
Film Completion
Aug 1, 2020

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Add your own Application to our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications