1. The FilmSchool.org community has been helping people apply to film school since 2002. Log in or Create an Account and get your film school questions answered. (It's free!)

When was the moment you realized that you wanted to make films?

Discussion in 'Film Discussions & Critiques' started by Chris W, Nov 19, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Chris W

Chris W FilmSchool.org Owner Staff Member

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +286
    For me it was probably watching the original Star Wars as a kid in the early eighties that first sparked my interest in film. (I was only 2 when the first one came out... the only one I got to see in the theater was Jedi).

My father also had a Super 8 camera and I used to enjoy shooting with that.

The other moment I remember was watching The Shawshank Redeption when it came out during High School and over the credits I remember thinking... "Not THAT is why I want to make movies".

How about you? What sparked your interest? What sustained it? What confirmed it?

2. lady-vengeance

lady-vengeance Member

Ratings:
    +30
    Hmm, this has always been hard for me to pinpoint. I've always loved cinema, but when I wanted to be involved? Hard to say, but I think I have an idea.

I grew up with Tolkien; The Hobbit was the first novel I ever read and The Silmarillion was really what made me appreciate the foundations of worldbuilding. So when The Fellowship of the Ring came out when I was eight, I was just amazed at how the film was able to incorporate so much material in a (relatively) short time frame. But it was when I got the extended edition and watched the hours of behind the scenes footage that I fell in love with film making. Hard to explain, but it made me really want to get involved behind the scenes to bring something vivid to screen.

I think another moment was when I watched Suspicion (1941) when I was ten. I was really a big fan of Old Hollywood when I was younger, but that was the first time I had seen one from that era that really got under my skin. Loved the direction and the characters, really a great film.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Chris W

Chris W FilmSchool.org Owner Staff Member

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +286
    The behind the scenes for LOTR was pretty awesome. I don't think I've seen Suspicion though.... That's one Hitchcock film I've never seen.

4. IndecisiveElle

IndecisiveElle Active Member

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +336
    When I was 2 I carried around a pink plastic camera and declared I wanted to be a photojournalist after watching hours of the Babar the Elephant cartoons. It was all downhill from there. My great grandpa was a silent film producer and his movie posters were on the wall growing up so it never seemed far-fetched or like a pipe dream. I've actually never worked in any other field as an adult.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Kira

Kira Active Member

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +214
    I have always loved films, but for the longest time I wanted to be a novelist. It wasn't until I watched Inception in high school that really solidified my desire to become a screenwriter. My foray into television writing was inspired by Sherlock, Parade's End, and Hannibal, amongst many, many others.

• Like Like x 1
  6. coded

coded Fall 2017 Applicant

Ratings:
    +16
    Like the other posters here, I've always been in love with the idea of visual stories (comics, animations, film, TV). One of my biggest inspirations was the rise of Youtube, watching all these kids my age make cheap shorts and share them because they could, but I think what really had me in was watching TV shows during high school and college and the cast and crew behind-the-scenes and just how close everyone was. It always felt like a family, and I just HAD to be a part of that one day.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Vanyel

Vanyel New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Mine strays into a bad time in my life where my one raft in life was the stories spun by T.V and the theater. It never occurred to me then but thats where it definitely started. My one life goal is to help others who found themselves in a similar situation as myself and originally I thought I could help with coding but when I finally got away from the situation and was able to breath and go to school properly it clicked in my head that it wasn't a ridiculous idea. That I could help people the exact same way that I was helped. Thats when I fell in love with editing and film making. That was about a year ago now.

• Like Like x 1
  8. coded

coded Fall 2017 Applicant

Ratings:
    +16
    Thank you for sharing your moment, Vanyel. I can relate to this--I was originally pushed to go into computer science or graphic design (my hobbies were coding and art), where the money is, but I eventually decided following my passion was more important than following money.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jacob Kessler

Jacob Kessler New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    When I was in the 8th grade working on a short film for an English project based on a book we had read about mutant rats attacking New York City. It was the first thing I had written and directed and I was stressed out of my mind running around juggling everything with the cast and production, but once we reached the editing stage there was such a beautifully cathartic payoff in making the chaos I had poured my passion into come together. It was one was of the first artistic endeavors that I realized I was willing to push myself past exhaustion to get just right.

• Love Love x 1