Which film school are affordable and best for hands-on training? URGENT

R17

Hello,

I want to apply for a Master degree or a year training program in filmmaking (or directing more precisely). I would like hands-on training only since I already have a MA in film and television which was academic with a thesis and didn't help me find an internship or a job in this field. I wanted to apply for Tresbas institute in Canada, but I am hesitating now since I have only read bad reviews on it and it has a very low ranking in Canada and it doesn't appear among the list of film schools in Canada which made me rethink my choice. I chose this film school because that's what I could afford ( CAD$ 14,630).
I got accepted in Metfilmschool in London this June, but I was hoping to be successful in getting the scholarship but unfortunately, I wasn't. I was offered a place there for the MA in directing but it is too expensive.
I really need help because I searched for several film schools in the USA, Canada, UK, Mexico, and even Australia. But the tuition fees are much higher than my budget. I really need this hands-on training so I could boost my career in this field.
If anyone knows any film school with practical courses for one year and good network (I don't want to spend more than that and I can't afford to) please do respond to this post.

I saw another course with almost the same tuition fees which is the Master of Fine Arts of the University of British Columbia, but this course is for two years and they didn't write any details regarding the terms.
I really do want to apply as soon as possible, so if one of you has information on those two entities please do share your opinion and experience and if you have another film school on your mind with the same price range I can afford, please let me know once again.

Thank you so much!!

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
FYI you can sort schools by price in our film school database. :)

R17

FYI you can sort schools by price in our film school database. :)

Thank you! I am checking them now.

green-scarf

York University in Canada has a fully funded MFA Film Production program (they cover your tuition). It is very competitive though and there is only one spot for international students!

R17

York University in Canada has a fully funded MFA Film Production program (they cover your tuition). It is very competitive though and there is only one spot for international students!
Thank you! I would like to have a full scholarship program. However, I already tried so many times and I never succeeded. My portfolio is a small list of short script movies and a short film which I made with my smartphone.
I still prefer to pay even with a limited budget rather than hope again for a scholarship.
I would like to know the stay-back options in Canada. I want to have an opportunity to work or find internships post-graduation.

R17

How did it go? R17? I am also thinking of getting back to school. I am 53 years old and I do not want regrets when I get old. well older!
Well, it didn't. Thanks for asking though! I found a college in Canada, but they had only one entry. I didn't receive the study permit on time and I was forced to drop from the courses and ask for a refund.
I am still hoping and searching, it's tough for international applicants, but I am not giving up.
It doesn't matter how old you are, not everyone is lucky to start achieving their dream young, there is no rule that states at 20something you need to be well adjusted in your career-dream...Go for it!

Add your film school application to our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Add Application…

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Add your own Application to our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest reviews

Latest Articles