• THANKSGIVING WEEK LIFETIME SUPPORTING MEMBERSHIP SALE: If you are finding FilmSchool.org helpful, consider becoming or upgrading to a Lifetime Supporting Membership for ONLY $16! (20% off) by entering the coupon code THANKS. Coupon expires Sunday 11/29 at midnight PST.

Which film school are affordable and best for hands-on training? URGENT

R17

Hello,

I want to apply for a Master degree or a year training program in filmmaking (or directing more precisely). I would like hands-on training only since I already have a MA in film and television which was academic with a thesis and didn't help me find an internship or a job in this field. I wanted to apply for Tresbas institute in Canada, but I am hesitating now since I have only read bad reviews on it and it has a very low ranking in Canada and it doesn't appear among the list of film schools in Canada which made me rethink my choice. I chose this film school because that's what I could afford ( CAD$ 14,630).
I got accepted in Metfilmschool in London this June, but I was hoping to be successful in getting the scholarship but unfortunately, I wasn't. I was offered a place there for the MA in directing but it is too expensive.
I really need help because I searched for several film schools in the USA, Canada, UK, Mexico, and even Australia. But the tuition fees are much higher than my budget. I really need this hands-on training so I could boost my career in this field.
If anyone knows any film school with practical courses for one year and good network (I don't want to spend more than that and I can't afford to) please do respond to this post.

I saw another course with almost the same tuition fees which is the Master of Fine Arts of the University of British Columbia, but this course is for two years and they didn't write any details regarding the terms.
I really do want to apply as soon as possible, so if one of you has information on those two entities please do share your opinion and experience and if you have another film school on your mind with the same price range I can afford, please let me know once again.

Thank you so much!!

sa96

York University in Canada has a fully funded MFA Film Production program (they cover your tuition). It is very competitive though and there is only one spot for international students!

R17

York University in Canada has a fully funded MFA Film Production program (they cover your tuition). It is very competitive though and there is only one spot for international students!
Thank you! I would like to have a full scholarship program. However, I already tried so many times and I never succeeded. My portfolio is a small list of short script movies and a short film which I made with my smartphone.
I still prefer to pay even with a limited budget rather than hope again for a scholarship.
I would like to know the stay-back options in Canada. I want to have an opportunity to work or find internships post-graduation.

Latest Classifieds

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

• Film And Television Institute of India
    4.00 star(s)
    Graduate Certificate, TV Direction
    I was enrolled in the 1-year Direction certificate course in the TV wing in the session 2018-19. Following are the pros and cons that I...
    • ValArya
  • University of Texas at Austin - Department of Radio-Television-Film
    4.00 star(s)
    Great film school outside of LA/NYC
    I would say overall UT's film school is a great choice! It is rated #11 on THR's Top Film School List in the U.S. Sure it's nowhere near LA or NY...
    • Anonymous
  • Columbia College Chicago - Cinema Directing (M.F.A.)
    5.00 star(s)
    a great decision
    Columbia College Chicago is not only one of America's best film schools it is also one of the most affordable. The program is advertised as 2...
    • Jcromwell
  • Fitchburg State University
    4.00 star(s)
    Okay School, especially for the price
    Came in as both a transfer and commuter, so my experience was really lessened by that fact. Your time and success here is really up to you...
    • Anonymous
  • SUNY Purchase - Playwriting & Screenwriting BA
    5.00 star(s)
    Excellent Quality Program
    I want to start off by mentioning that I came to Purchase as a transfer student from another liberal arts college and screenwriting program. This...
    • catmom