Which is the better kind of MFA Production program in your opinion? "Auteur-centric" or "team-based"?

sevs

Of the MFA Production programs I'm more familiar with, I've noticed a lot of them can be filed into one of the two above-described categories. "Auteur-centric" programs that seem to focus more on helping you develop your individual voice as a storyteller include UCLA, UT Austin, Columbia, and AFI (kind of). The "team-based" programs that seem more focused on teaching you all the roles of production and letting you find your niche among a larger group of peers over time include USC, Chapman, LMU and AFI (kind of). I count AFI in both areas because in a way the curriculum is designed to help you focus on developing your craft in a select area, but then in another way you are working with peers in teams across multiple different areas of production, so it's not strictly speaking a "director's program" the same way Columbia's is, for example. I don't know enough about NYU to comment on which way they lean, but I know they pump out a lot of great, unique storytellers.

With that context established, my question is: Which do you think is the better model for a film school, if one could be said to possess more pros and fewer cons than the other?

And: Which type of program are you yourself pursuing and why?

So weird perspective, I'm a current screenwriting MFA at Chapman, and as a writer, I prefer the team-based approach to directing. Ultimately, and especially early in your career, you're going to have to work with people and the better you can do that, the further you'll go. There are directors in my program who came from auteur backgrounds prior to Chapman and working with them first semester was rough. They didn't know how to collaborate, how to give or take notes. Their instinct was to take a script and turn it into their vision without regards to the story or intention (think trying to make a Blockbuster action movie out of an indie drama script).

Plus having the versatility of working different positions (1AD and such) always seemed to have the most long-term benefit from my prespective (I was an educator prior to being a screenwriter lol)

Latest Accepted Applications

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

• Hofstra University - Department of Radio, Television, Film
    5.00 star(s)
    Quality Facilities, Caring Professors
    Great school that prepares you for the New York film and television scene. The facilities are state of the art and the teachers are top notch.
    • joekgilberto
  • Emerson College
    3.00 star(s)
    Go if you have a sizable scholarship
    Ultimately glad I went, but my overall experience at Emerson felt very lackluster. The courses were good, but nothing really worth sinking almost...
    • Anonymous
  • USC School of Cinematic Arts (BA/BFA)
    5.00 star(s)
    A Journey Most Illuminating
    I started my USC adventure as a Theatre major. I quickly discovered that I needed to change paths, and film had always been of interest. I thought...
    • JHD
  • London Film School (LFS) - Directing Summer School with Udayan Prasad
    5.00 star(s)
    Great Filmmaking Intensive, Though Pricey
    I attended this summer program in 2019. I wanted to try out directing in an environment where I would get feedback on my work and where I could...
    • llueve
  • Northwestern University - School of Communication
    4.00 star(s)
    Good for film theory, not so much for production
    *Please take this with a grain of salt, as I went to NU over a decade ago. While I was there: Classes in film theory and screenwriting were great...
    • Anonymous

Latest Accepted Applications